• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cantilevered mount necessary on Ar10?

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
Are cantilevered mounts necessary on AR10s? Trying to decide on an ADM mount but without seeing them mounted in person I'm not too sure. What do you run?

I use a nightforce 20 moa one piece on one, and a weaver 1/2" 20 moa riser with vortex presicion rings on another. I have seen no issue accuracy wise with either. The nf is nice for all the in line recoil guns, but the riser with med rings works sweet to move scopes around to bolt guns as well.

I don't believe you would have to have one no. I'm actually using a YHM (non QD) mount on mine, I'm running a straight tube 1-7X. Which ADM are you looking at? The AD-Delta?

To answer your question, no, a cantilevered mount is not necessary for a large frame AR. However, they do help to get that scope out far enough so that you can obtain good eye relief.

I picked up one of the adm recon sw mounts. It's extra long so it should allow me to move the scope a little farther forward. Good mixture between the normal and cantilevered!

Larue mounts. Quick release and they hold zero when you put them back on. I think they are the best, run them on all of my ar15's and OBR's

If you don't have a full length rail and are using a long scope like a NF NXS 5.5-22X50 or a Burris XTR II 5-25X50 or some thing similar you would need a cantilever mount to get the scope mounted with the proper eye relief. Or you might be able to use a LaRue like the SPR. If you have a full length rail the a cantilever mount is not necessary. On my AR's without a full rail I use the ADM Recon mount. Or sometimes if cash is low the Burris PEPR mount.

I found it advantageous but not absolutely necessary. I run a Spuhr cantilevered mount with 6 mil cant on my Larue tOBR and think it really helps being able to push the scope a little further forward

Like Samnev said. If you have a true monolithic rail then they're not typically necessary, but you may still enjoy the aesthetic of not having to push your mount that far forward to get eye relief. If there's any movement or joint between the receiver rail and fore rail, then the cantilever is "necessary".

I'd personally never have a mount spanning the receiver and forearm with the exception of a true mono rail. But, I've seen it done. Most scope mounts will fit the receiver and accommodate some pretty big scopes while still providing fine eye relief - no cantilever required. Just MHO...

I'd personally never have a mount spanning the receiver and forearm with the exception of a true mono rail. But, I've seen it done. Most scope mounts will fit the receiver and accommodate some pretty big scopes while still providing fine eye relief - no cantilever required. Just MHO...

The problem with using a large scope wit a non cantilever mount is the scope sits so far back its almost impossible to get proper eye relief or a decent check weld. unless the mount brides the gap between the receiver rail and the barrel rail which Imo is bad juju. That's what introduced me to cantilever mounts. with a small scope like an ACOG or a scope similar in length to the NF NXS 1-4X24 its possible to get away without using a cantilever mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H