• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cantilevered Mount on a Bolt Gun w/ Chassis w/ Enclosed Foreend?

holden

0351 Erastus "Deaf" Smith
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2006
Republic of Texas
Good day!

I ordered a Bobro QD mount for a Tac A1; it's cantilevered. Admittedly, I know Bobro from the AR world and love their products; I figured why mess with what works and what you know. In researching a little further, I've seen it mentioned that one should not run a cantilevered mount on a bolt gun. Is this a form over function question or is the non-cantilevered mount functionally a better system?

I feel like he knows what he's getting with a cantilevered mount in the eye relief department.

I'm not sure why they'd be so popular in the AR world & no good on a bolt action. I think it'll look a little odd, but if that's what you need to get the eye relief you seek, I think you did the right thing buying from a reputable source... You must be running a pretty short LOP though I'd think because this is not a problem I've run into.

Technically speaking though, the closer your rings can be to the bolts holding it to the rail, the stronger system you're going to have. Imagine the amount of flex you'd have if your mount cantilevered out let's say 16". In reality though, I don't see your Bobro mount being any less functional than standard rings.

I have the Spuhr cantilevered mount on my .308 bolt action because my 34mm ATACR requires it for eye relief. Everything works fine otherwise. My other scopes have not required such distance. I figure it’s just a side effect of such a massive scope.

T5XI, ATACR 7-35, and Razor are scopes I felt could’ve benefited from a cantilevered mount on a bolt action. It’ll look more normal on a TAC A1 and similar. Badger posts pictures of their COMM on an MRAD. Look at the Mk22 as well.

Reactions: moaorbust