• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Canting Effect on Point of Impact

Re: Canting Effect on Point of Impact

It is from the perspective of 1 degree, because who here really can't recognize 5 degrees or more.

Canting should be addressed from the point of the shooters position behind he rifle, as even after looking at a level many shooters will subconsciously cant the rifle because how the address it in the first place. A level can't fix that because you have to stop watching it in order to hit the target. Put 30 seconds between the time you checked it and pressed the trigger and odds are if you have an issues, you unknowningly put that cant back in.

I always watch shooters with levels, and many still shoot with the bubble off, a nd the more you read about this stuff ( usually from people who sell levels ) the more I look.

Address your position, and recognize what the rifle correctly positioned in the shoulder pocket feels like and you'll be much farther ahead of the game. Even on uneven ground if you address the rifle correctly you'll know what level is.

I cant my rifle too but have the scope level to the fall of gravity. The cant is actually very small, less so if I use my rifles with adjustable butt plates, like the AI target model.

The bigger point is consistency, I address the rifle the same way every time so I don't subconsciously induce unwanted canting.

Using a leveling should be about training the body and mind, if you see you're always off level when you address the rifle, that is called a clue, try setting up the rifle so that doesn't happen.

Unless the rifle has an adjustable butt I will likely be canting it somewhat if I have muscular relaxation. There's no problem with this cant as I have developed motor memory which accounts for the cant and makes it consistent; however, I am shooting at kd targets for which I have a zero established from the canted rifle condition. An adjustable butt, which allows a level rifle as well as muscular relaxation, assures better results when shooting at targets off the square range.

Why cant a level be integrated into the sight picture from a scope? Well, the better question is why hasn't it? Cost?

Springfield scopes have them in most of their scopes - problem is the 7.5 moa per turn turret

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why cant a level be integrated into the sight picture from a scope? Well, the better question is why hasn't it? Cost? </div></div>

A little late on this one- US Optics has been doing it for over a year

I've looked through an older NF with an internal level.

Canting is a constant struggle in the field, where your clothing changes with the weather, which then changes the trained feel of the butt stock. Extreme angles on hill sides, infinite changes in how you contort your body behind the rifle due to rocks, snow, sage, etc..

I like a bubble level and, much more than that, getting closer so it doesn't have as big of an effect.