• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fish2keel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has done a cape like this? I was watching enemy at the gates and thought wow that cape would be easy to reproduce. Ive always liked the look of it in the movie but forgot about it. Has anyone done one? Any advice on how to make one? I know the german soldier had one and also Vallili Zaitsev did.

I like the look of Vallili's but I think the draw string around the neck might hurt. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help on producing one!

Re: cape?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that really a picture of a GI Joe? </div></div>

Rollin'......

A cape? Really?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNUbPRj9TGM&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNUbPRj9TGM&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

It looks like a canvas with the same concept as later NVA canvas. You can make a cape of it

Reminds me of when Rambo threw away a perfectly good shirt and put on a dirty, gritty piece of canvas and a piece of rope.

you can just buy them in the german area. we tend to call them 'wetterfleck' or 'kotze' (actually there is a strong linguistic connection between 'kotze' and 'coat'). they are generally made from loden and mainly used by hunters for their warmth combined with making no noise.

in younger hunters seem to be undecided on them: yes, they are noiseless. but their size or rather the volume that they need in the backpack is too much compared to modern insulation and poncho alternatives ...

Wetterfleck . IMHO, they can be rolled and carried attached to a belt behind the back. I carry my Poncho that way.

Alternatively, they can be rolled long and bent into a blanket roll encircling the pack.

Some text on the subject (translated using Bing). Leave it to the Germans to reinvent the Poncho...

Me? I like it.

Greg

at the army we carried the poncho like greg mentioned - rolled up, below the backpack.

the main reason why i mention the wetterfleck over the poncho - the wetterfleck (traditionally) is made from loden which is tons more quiet (from my point of view) than any plastic poncho. but then ... yes. loden can't stand a day in the rain nearly as good as plastic.

i guess it's a question of use/environment. heavy rain? plastic/gore tex/... poncho. really quiet? -> loden.

but again, opinions and experiences may differ.

In WWII Germany it was known as a "Zeltbahn". It may have been plain or camo. It was a traingle in shape and had a slot to stick your head through. May or may not have a hood.

It is also referred to as a "shelter half". Two of these are put together to form a pup tent for two. When worn indivdually it was a rain poncho.

I have Finnish and French versions. Both are made of a heavy cloth (or light canvas if your prefer). Both are relatively heavy.

Our modern military ponchos are made of a treated nylon and are probably a tenth of the weight of a Zeltbahn.

IMHO the term "sniper cape or cloke" is used as a specific descriptor of the role to which it was being used.

I got my Finnish and French shelter halves from Sportsman Guide about 5 - 7 years ago. If searching for same check the section related to tents or shelters.

These guys have capes. There is a whole company in the bottom picture.

Camp.jpg

I searched Yahoo-images for Zeltbahn and came up with a ton of info, including patterns and multiple uses.

I've always heard it called a Plash Palatka by the Russkies. It's pretty much just a repurposed shelter half like the other guys stated.