• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Captain Philips

Just saw it via On Demand. It's a must see, lots of suspense and really well acted.
I just saw it as well. Of course like many board members I also followed the story as it happened. one thing stillpisses me off. I am almost grinding my teeth right now as I remember it. That the NCIS felt it necessary to polygraph the SEALs who went aboard the life boat about the "30,000 dollars they stole" I mean fuck that, you do your job and then your boss calls you a thief. WTF! The chain of command is always looking for a chance to drop the hammer on the men who do the work.

Good movie, but I just can't believe they got hijacked.... Two guys above the railing with shotguns and double 00 buckshot. The pirates would never would have stood a chance.

Good movie, but I just can't believe they got hijacked.... Two guys above the railing with shotguns and double 00 buckshot. The pirates would never would have stood a chance.

Even if the bad guys were spraying AK rounds at the two guys as they approached?

Last edited:
Even if the bad guys were spraying AK rounds at the two guys as they approached?
Sure... They eventually have to pull along side the ship, come almost to a complete stop and try to board. They are most vulnerable at that point. Lean over...3-4 shotgun blasts and it's over. Worth trying than giving up a 100 million dollar ship and cargo.

Sure... They eventually have to pull along side the ship, come almost to a complete stop and try to board. They are most vulnerable at that point. Lean over...3-4 shotgun blasts and it's over. Worth trying than giving up a 100 million dollar ship and cargo.

Yeah a 12 gauge would do it just fine. Better would be a 50cal from a few hundred yards.

I think armed guards on ships is a gray area. I think when in national waters then those ships have to abide by that countries firearms laws, I believe? Maritime rules are complex. There is plenty videos however of armed guys on ships shooting at skiffs.

Great movie...just watched it last night. Glad the SEALs are on our side...such professionals. Loved how they showed them just folding up their bipods and packing up afterwards and leaving the fan-tail. All in a days work.

Thought the amount of action and suspense was perfect. It is not a SEAL movie, and their amount of involvement/appearance in the flick was perfect. No Rambo or over the top BS, quiet professionals and I thought they portrayed them very well.

Rented this tonight, I enjoyed it... the wife, not so much. She was fine until the action moved to the life boat, then got board. I don’t understand way firearms are not required tools on these vessels. A magazine (or belt) of tracers lobbed over the heads of would be pirates while they are outside of AK range would give them pause.

The actors who played the baddies were probably the backbone of this movie, I have to say.

Movie sucked. Too fake. Where did the pirates get all the ammo they shot up. Never saw them change mags or even have spares on hand. And all those guys on boat and they can't overcome 4 anemic pirates?

Go to Netflix and watch the documentaries if you want to see what actually happened.
The movie was well done but was normal Hollywood BS with the grain of truth being there were some Somali pirates who took over a ship and then eventually got popped by some Navy snipers.

Maritime rules for firearms are complex. I am a captain on a Great Lakes iron ore carrier. Granted we don't have to worry about Somali pirates, but under no circumstances are firearms allowed aboard one of our ships, yet I complain about this all the time and it falls on deaf ears. There are numerous ships on the lakes that fly US flag and have unlicensed crew from some of the terrorist friendly countries in the Middle East. I talk with officers of these ships on a regular basis and yeah, there are unlicensed guys that come aboard that freak them out. Sure we don't have pirates but yeah, we do get disgruntled crew and you never know what someone with a loose screw is capable of doing.......I guarantee every pilot house on every ship talks about these scenarios on a regular basis and what we could do to thwart a hostile take over. There isn't much you can do when your attacker is armed with anything that shoots a bullet and all you have is a fire ax or fire hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should add that in some ways I can understand why the rules are so strict. There are guys I sail with that I wouldn't trust with a potato gun let alone a 1911 or AR. Don't even ask about a Ma Deuce! I am sure this can be said with at least one or two crew on board every merchant vessel on the planet.

movie was good.
perfect example of gun control in action.

im also surprised they didnt concentrate more on the boat sway on the final kill shot(s). still amazed at the shots taken

The actors who played the baddies were probably the backbone of this movie, I have to say.

Finally saw it, great movie! Agree totally with the above observation. Hanks played the main character (very well) but the real stars were the actors who played the pirates.

I should add that in some ways I can understand why the rules are so strict. There are guys I sail with that I wouldn't trust with a potato gun let alone a 1911 or AR. Don't even ask about a Ma Deuce! I am sure this can be said with at least one or two crew on board every merchant vessel on the planet.

I work offshore around the globe and couldn't agree more with the above statement.

I'd sooner trust a Brit with a gun than most of the Cajun's I've worked with offshore. Saw a Rigger trainee working offshore with a 9mm once.... he was given a "special" job task that involved going to shore.

I was hidden away inside a vessel offshore Malaysia, not too long ago, due to pirate threat. I've turned down every job offer in Africa but, may be there soon if my personal conditions for crew transfer are satisfied.

I think Hanks did an excellent job and like how the cast portrayed an offshore crew. Believable. The cast of Pirates did well too! I have not seen the documentary but, plan to.

And for some of the hero commentators in this thread. Stay safe on your couch where most aspiring hero's belong.

Overall, good movie.

AnschutzNerd

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the lifeboat. It is now stored inside as this photo is 3 years old. Facility has expanded, beautiful ocean front location. Has well done out door memorial, in addition to museum.

Oh yeah, the holes in the windshield are real.