• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caracal Sniper Rifle

8541USMC

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2006
The desert
I got the rare opportunity to test fire the new CSR (Caracal Sniper Rifle) designed here in the UAE where I live and work.
Of all the sniper rifles I have fired in my life, and its been a lot...all I can say is WOW. They did a very good job on this gun.
It weighs in at a flat 5 kilos without the scope. They have made some changes from the first prototype. They replaced the front stock with a full length full rail. They also re-designed the trigger mechanism which now has very few moving parts. They engineered tolerances in the bolt and trigger to allow for grit and sand ala the same design theory as the AI-AW.
It is a half minute gun, 20 inch Lothar Walther barrel with an 1/11.25 inch twist. The gun's center of gravity is perfect. There is almost no jump when firing and the recoil is surprisingly light for a rifle in its weight class. The rifle is basically finished accept for the butt stock which is still being finalized for a folding mechanism and the magazine which will be re-designed (its not the AI version). There will also be optional/removable picatinny rails for the left and right side of the rail.
This gun also has an unusually thin profile and when they finish designing the folding stock, it will be a peach to jump with. Even though it is not a bullpup design, it is no longer than the DSR.
The trigger is a two-stage and is very crisp (Fully adjustable).
For such a tiny country with no experience designing sniper rifles, they have knocked this one out of the park.
More to follow when I get to fire it again (hopefully soon). This is a photo of it that I found elsewhere on the web of it being displayed at IDEX here earlier this spring. The rifle in this pic is the second prototype which I fired.
hh-sheikh-hamdan-tours-caracal.jpg

Re: Caracal Sniper Rifle

So it's a "sniper" rifle because it has a scope on it? Or look cool? lol.

Reinventing the wheel is all I can say...with the money they have, there are plenty of systems ready for a purchase.

I have been to the Caracal Shooting club in UAE, the pistols are fantastic. I have to assume they outsourced all R&D like they did with Wilhem on the pistol. they have the money to pay someone else to do wonderful things. good luck with ever seeing these in the states...En'shalla.

Well at least they put a decent scope on it!
laugh.gif

Looks to me like an AIAX clone wanna be, with a few modifications here and there.

They run DSR-1's in the UAE. the counter snipers also run DSR-1's hopefully they will replace those monsters with a nice rifle made in house. whoever sold them the DSR-1's for counter snipers must be able to sell them sand also.

I have the best chances seeing one soon LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the best chances seeing one soon LOL</div></div>

En'shalla everything in UAE is En'shalla.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They run DSR-1's in the UAE. the counter snipers also run DSR-1's hopefully they will replace those monsters with a nice rifle made in house. whoever sold them the DSR-1's for counter snipers must be able to sell them sand also.</div></div>
What's wrong with DSR-1 if you (they
smile.gif
) can afford it?! Perhaps you just "don't dig bullpups" (no offense meant)?

The DSR-1 is a good rifle but it is very purpose built. It is purely a platform rifle meant for police type operations. It is definitely NOT a rifle for tactical operations. They know this. This is why they also run AI rifles, the Oberland rifles and others.
For those of you who are looking at a photo of it and saying "well, its got a scope on it" need to get behind it and fire it. Doing so would surely change your opinion. As I said in my post, I have seen FEW rifles with all the right things done in one design. The center of gravity, the recoil, the comfort, the location of the controls and bolt....they really did a very good job on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the best chances seeing one soon LOL</div></div>

En'shalla everything in UAE is En'shalla. </div></div>
well, God willing you won't see one. Or, you see it first
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard what they paid for the DSR-1 rifles over there and it is absolutely INSANE!

A lot of cool things going on in the UAE in R&D and yes I think you will eventually see much of it offered here in the U.S. </div></div>

Yea, they paid upwards of $20k for the DSR-1 packages, but those include night vision, suppressor, .338 conversion, full tool sets for each rifle, etc etc so even though they were expensive, its not really that bad considering what Knight's likes to charge for their M-110 full package that only fires 7.62.

slightly off topic.... is that the marina mall in Abu Dhabi, or the HUGE ass mall in Dubai, I was in country last year, and went to the marina, but didn't quite make it up to Dubai

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well at least they put a decent scope on it!
laugh.gif

Looks to me like an AIAX clone wanna be, with a few modifications here and there. </div></div>I was actually thinking it was more similar to the Eberlestock chassis soon to come out, at least the stock concept anyhow.

2011%20sniper%20system%20preview.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalTeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They run DSR-1's in the UAE. the counter snipers also run DSR-1's hopefully they will replace those monsters with a nice rifle made in house. whoever sold them the DSR-1's for counter snipers must be able to sell them sand also.</div></div>
What's wrong with DSR-1 if you (they
smile.gif
) can afford it?! Perhaps you just "don't dig bullpups" (no offense meant)?</div></div>

The DSR-1 is NOT a counter sniper mission capable system. it weighs TOO much, have far to many adjustments that tend to come out of adjustment when moving, trying to get to a hasty firing position from the glass is awkward, the weapon is very much affected by blown sand. however, i will say this.... from a stable shooting platform, the weapon is a F'in tack driver. we must have fired 10,000 rnds in my last course over there and if we could have sent every round from a prone supported position they would have all been in a 1/4 MOA group!!! lol. DSR-1 shoots like a champ but moves like a slug! in my opinion.