• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Carbine optic for 3 gun?

Re: Carbine optic for 3 gun?

I pretty much suck ass at 3-gun, running an AK, a pump shotgun, and a .40 cal pistol I ain't zackly setting the world on fire. But I've done a few of them now at four different events around the area, and I love it for the sheer fun and for the training value. And on ARs I see everything from simple red dots/micro dots to low and high end SDM scopes (1-4x) to EO Techs with magnifyers. If I had to say what the majority runs I guess it'd be a plain old red dot of some kind. Unless you have stages at more than 100 yards a humble red dot is far, far quicker.

any 1/4 scope that meets your $$$$ . The short dot then the 1.6 swar. are at the top of the list

you may need to specify the distancesused... I was assuming they were all out to around 200yd max. My buddy here from the east coast says most 3 guns around there go out to 500-700 and some 1000yds, that will definitely determine your optic

A lot depends on where you are shooting. If you are only shooting local matches on pistol pits then a red dot is fast and accurate enough. However, if you plan on getting to bigger matches or your local matches have more space then magnification really helps. I run a 1-4x, pretty good out to 300 yds.

Been running an USO SN4 1-4 optic, and have been really happy with it.....over an Eotech with magnifier.

For close range with carbine (100-200 yard) I wouldnt go more than an Aimpoint or Eotech with Magnifier. Both have proven to be great CQB and Short-Mid range optics. Only bad thing about the Eotech is the 64mm ring or w/e it is that surrounds the dot, which in new models, is selectable. (Xps-2, etc.)

In the south west our 3gun matches can go to 600 yds. But on the average out ot 450yds. I buy a leupold 1-4 off of swfa demo sight and send it to leupold to have them put custom reticle for my load. I start with a 200 yd zero then i have a dot at 300,400,500, and I am ready to go . But that is just me.

I should be getting any day now what I think is going to be an ideal 3 gun optic..

New Meopta Kdot
running a 50/200 yard zero you have a 2MOA center dot
Beneath that are 3, 4 and 500 yard upside down chevrons like an ACOG

This is assuming a 55g at 2900 FPS, so, need to verify with your rifle, load, altitude, etc..

My plan is to run 55g for up close and 77 OTM for longer stuff and test out my loads at varying distances and adjust as needed.

An inexpensive option that is getting good press is the 1-4 Burris TAC 30 with a 1, 2, 3, 4 and 500 yard dot

Personally, I like running a 200 yard zero and so the Meopta seems like it will be ideal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be getting any day now what I think is going to be an ideal 3 gun optic..

New Meopta Kdot

This is assuming a 55g at 2900 FPS, so, need to verify with your rifle, load, altitude, etc..

My plan is to run 55g for up close and 77 OTM for longer stuff and test out my loads at varying distances and adjust as needed.

An inexpensive option that is getting good press is the 1-4 Burris TAC 30 with a 1, 2, 3, 4 and 500 yard dot

Personally, I like running a 200 yard zero and so the Meopta seems like it will be ideal </div></div>

i'm glad you mentioned Burris, i've been shooting an xtr 1-4 on my ar and it's worked really well. it's heavy, but it works

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New Meopta Kdot

</div></div>

The Meopta is a good choice. That is what I use and it also has some nice clear glass.

I personally think the 1-4x pst's are looking pretty damn good for that.... I think that's what I'm gonna try next.

the only thing better might be the swar. 1/6
you can find allot of 3 gun info on brianenos. fourms

If you have the budget you might as well look at S&B's new 1-8 Short Dot - you'll never need another sight. I run an NXS 2.5-10x24 with a Trijicon RMR on an offset mount - it's not a bad set up. I must admit I like the new Meopta also and would probably buy one if they offered a different reticle set up like a mildot. I think the current reticle they have is a little constraining if you're using bullets other than 55 grains traveling at 2900 fps.

I have a hard time stomaching the price of the swaro in lieu of the S&B especially since the swaro is 2FP. I also have a hard time getting the short dot since the new 1-8 short dot is coming out. I might have to just sit and wait....

For targets inside of 50 yards, how difficult is it to use a short dot? Is it as easy as my aimpoint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time stomaching the price of the swaro in lieu of the S&B especially since the swaro is 2FP. I also have a hard time getting the short dot since the new 1-8 short dot is coming out. I might have to just sit and wait....

For targets inside of 50 yards, how difficult is it to use a short dot? Is it as easy as my aimpoint? </div></div>

The S&B 1-8 short-dot is coming out in June. It, like the 1-4, is meant to be aimpoint like.

the leupold mark AR 1-4X20 is a good cheaper alternative to a scope thats atleast 2x's the price

IMAG0550-1.jpg