• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbine Rifle - not AR platform

If option 4 assumes that you already own an AR and will just buy more ammo for that, then option 4.

Failing that PS90, no other reason than Carnik con.

I can't help but think there is not enough information to give a reasonable answer, as the options for non AR short"ish" barreled rifles are near endless and all beg the question of, why not an AR.

So for a long time I've considered a rifle I could put into a travel bag for road trips in case SHTF along the way (riots, gangs, whatever). As a size reference, something like a small suitcase, but not carry-on sized and packed with normal clothing.

Caveat is it cannot be a SBR.

So, I've been considering the following:
M1 Carbine (paratrooper)
CZ Scorpion
PS90
Nothing

My initial thoughts:

1) 30 Carbine -
a) Obviously the 30 carbine has the most power of anything on my list, and whilst maligned for "lack of stopping power" the ballistics at < 100 yards do not pan that out.
b) If I was comfortable with a "new" Inland or Auto-Ordnance I may be in; that said, I hear their reliability is awful. Then I could go the Fulton Armory route for major $$.
c) 30 round magazines may or may not be reliable.

2) CZ Scorpion (V3)
a) downside is it shoots 9mm, upside is they are available
b) have the looming "is it a SBR question hanging over them."
c) not much improvement over typical handgun

3) PS90
a) SHORT, very short with full length 16" barrel. (again, no SBR).
b) 50 rounds. But, 50 rounds of what more reliable 22 WMR?
c) Different manual of arms with the magazine.

4) Do nothing, buy more ammo.
A few questions; Are you also going to be carrying a handgun? If so, what one or caliber preference? I see that you're considering the AR platform now that the SIG MCX is one of your top choices. Why did you initially reject the AR platform? It's one of the most refined and optioned out platforms available.

When you rule out the best choice from the start you only making a list of distant seconds and playing a foolish game.

A few questions; Are you also going to be carrying a handgun? If so, what one or caliber preference? I see that you're considering the AR platform now that the SIG MCX is one of your top choices. Why did you initially reject the AR platform? It's one of the most refined and optioned out platforms available.
Yes, handgun always with me. I live in a free state :). The traditional AR I nixed because 1) wanted/preferred folder (kinda hard to do that with traditional AR), and 2) I'm still worried one day our wonder politicians will ban "braces" and all things attached to them. I'd hate to shell out 2K and then that happen. Granted, I think the brace is out of the bag so to speak. It's a big technicality (that shouldn't even be there).

So what I liked about the Carbine (30) is that they are LIGHT. More (not same) power as 357 and perform (energy/vel) similar to a 300 BLK subsonic and they have good ammo.

Generally carry a 9 so from ammo sense an MP5-like makes the most sense when travelling. I don't have any 300 BLK ammo though, so there is that problem.

So for a long time I've considered a rifle I could put into a travel bag for road trips in case SHTF along the way (riots, gangs, whatever). As a size reference, something like a small suitcase, but not carry-on sized and packed with normal clothing.

Caveat is it cannot be a SBR.

So, I've been considering the following:
M1 Carbine (paratrooper)
CZ Scorpion
PS90
Nothing

My initial thoughts:

1) 30 Carbine -
a) Obviously the 30 carbine has the most power of anything on my list, and whilst maligned for "lack of stopping power" the ballistics at < 100 yards do not pan that out.
b) If I was comfortable with a "new" Inland or Auto-Ordnance I may be in; that said, I hear their reliability is awful. Then I could go the Fulton Armory route for major $$.
c) 30 round magazines may or may not be reliable.

2) CZ Scorpion (V3)
a) downside is it shoots 9mm, upside is they are available
b) have the looming "is it a SBR question hanging over them."
c) not much improvement over typical handgun

3) PS90
a) SHORT, very short with full length 16" barrel. (again, no SBR).
b) 50 rounds. But, 50 rounds of what more reliable 22 WMR?
c) Different manual of arms with the magazine.

4) Do nothing, buy more ammo.
You COULD look at the Kel-tec CMR30, I have one, a lot of fun and with the right .22 WMR load, not a bad choice. The stock collapses and is very compact. It comes with two 30 round mags, you can get a pistol to match, they share magazines.
The trigger in mine is unbelievably crisp.

Our department has a couple of scorpions, they are a blast, definitely more accurate than a handgun, but a bit bulky. The triggers suck, which is weird, I'm the resident CZ fan boy and the triggers in their handguns are pretty damn good, don't know why the scorpion triggers suck, but they do. we got them for covert carry in a backpack, they work superbly in that role.
The problem you are going to have with the scorpion is this: if you get the pistol with a brace, is it going to be classified as an SBR?
If you get one with a stock, it is an SBR. So, there is NO advantage in getting one vice building a .300 BLK pistol with a folding brace, it is either a pistol or will be classified as an SBR.

The .30 carbine is the best man stopper of the bunch that you have listed. If a 110 grain bullet at 1910 FPS sounds familiar, it's because that is very close to the .300 blk from an 8 inch barrel. Problem is, you're talking about an 18" barrel.

I think your best choice is probably the Kel-tec, it does everything you want, ammo is usually available and reasonably cheap, but you MUST buy carefully, as not all .22 WMR is created equally.

No idea why the AR platform is out unless they are prohibited by local law. That said, an AR pistol with an 11.75" bbl. or a 14.5" carbine w/a P&W SF WarComp and a LAW folding stock adapter would be the schnizzle and far more effective than any of the listed "alternatives". YMMV.

I'm with tt123: the Ruger PC Carbine. In fact, it's what I'm taking on a road trip. Why? Because it breaks down into two very manageable pieces, and fits into a UTG bag I have that looks like a tennis racket bag. Also, it uses the same mags/ammo as my Glock 45 (G17 frame/G19 slide), so I have commonality of ammo and mags; versatility. 16" barrel so the whole pistol/SBR debacle is moot.
Another option to consider, since you don't want an AR platform, is the Keltec RDB (rifle; downward ejecting bullpup) in 5.56x45. It has a 17" barrel (no issues with pistol/SBR debacle), yet is very compact and also fits in the aforementioned UTG "tennis racket bag". Also, since it has adjustable gas, you can quickly change the gas setting to run suppressed. And given the 17" barrel, you lose no velocity vs. a 10.5" or 14.5" AR barrel. Mine has been extremely reliable.
Just my $0.02

No idea why the AR platform is out unless they are prohibited by local law. That said, an AR pistol with an 11.75" bbl. or a 14.5" carbine w/a P&W SF WarComp and a LAW folding stock adapter would be the schnizzle and far more effective than any of the listed "alternatives". YMMV.
I'm looking at the future...when they (Marxists who are taking over) may say a "brace" is illegal and then the whole weapon is illegal. I'll check into these folding adapters you speak of. That could work well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Going with the "Other Option", I suggest the Ruger PC Carbine. Mine is the original Model 19100. Available in 9mm and .40cal, it uses pistol magazines along with the pistol calibers. One selection uses the Glock magazine (available in 30rd capacity), and two Ruger calibers.

Magazine choices can be swapped because the mag well incorporates a separate magazine adopter, Three versions available for 9mm, not sure about the 40, and there may be a 45ACP in the offing.

Mine uses Ruger American 9 magazines, 17rd capacity; I got my adapter from Brownell. I own 10 17rd magazines, and can share them in my Ruger American 9 Pro Pistol, although I'd rather have the newer competition version with better options.

Not a lightweight, it uses a massive bolt to tame recoil down to a negligible level, staying on target with considerable ease. With a 3MOA dot scope it shoots well within 6" at 100yd. OTOH, it is a take down rifle, and fits in my sling pack disassembled. The only real issue, lugging 10 mags of 17rd each can get heavy after some time. My pistol rig carries 4 magazine, including one in the pistol, but that's without added mag pouches.

Loaded with good quality personal defense ammo (Fed 124gr HST's) it delivers on contact. But it's equally satisfying with Blaser Brass 115gr round nose.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Loaded with good quality personal defense ammo (Fed 124gr HST's) it delivers on contact. But it's equally satisfying with Blaser Brass 115gr round nose.

Greg

And put some Underwood +P+ Extreme Penetrators in that thing and it's all of the sudden much more powerful than you would expect.
The long barrel gets things moving faster than a short pistol one.

An AK with a folding stock is very compact. If you have lots of money to spend then a San Swiss sig 553 would be tough to beat.

Reactions: S_R
AK 5.56. Since bidet ban russian ammo.
65354106-F72C-4295-8EF8-B7BD43898D06.jpeg