• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon Fiber barrel Cerakoting?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I’m not sure where to put this, but here you go.
Has anyone or does anyone Cerakote the Carbon Fiber part of their barrel? How did it hold up if you did? Some say it won’t stick, but I’ve never heard of someone trying it either to verify that?

Attachments

• 936FE48E-B2EF-4CF3-93A2-B131A3F78CF4.jpeg
    936FE48E-B2EF-4CF3-93A2-B131A3F78CF4.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 196
Hi,

Not only would it more than likely not stick (never tried it, lol) but for certain you would be diminishing all the benefits of carbon wrapped barrel except the weight.

You would be putting a ceramic enclosure on the carbon to keep even more heat in.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Gee Kay
Hi,

Not only would it more than likely not stick (never tried it, lol) but for certain you would be diminishing all the benefits of carbon wrapped barrel except the weight.

You would be putting a ceramic enclosure on the carbon to keep even more heat in.

Sincerely,
Theis
I never even thought about trapping the heat? Good Point!

I would think there would be zero issue to cerakote or durakote or krylon sticking. But Theis has the best point about the heat. My carbon barrels save very little weight but they look cool...so why the fuck would I want to cover up all that cool?

I've had a feisol carbon fiber tripod that had Cerakoted legs

Don't remember any obvious problems that stand out with the CF being coated, but I do remember that we had to clean the coating off the pivot mechanisms because we had some issue there...

Certainly not the same as a barrel, but figured it should show flex a little more like a barrel than a stock does. Stocks never really seem to have issue being coated...

The issue is that in order to Cerakote, you have to media-blast, and doing so will remove the protective finish on the carbon wrap, which is more than likely a matte clearcoat. I coat the exposed steel parts only, masking the rest of it off. I think someone mentioned Krylon, that should work and no risk of damaging the wrap.

Anyone ever had any issues with their carbon barrels after getting the metal parts Cerakoted? Does the Cerakote baking on process cause any possible issues with the CF de-laminating? Had a fellow tell me it does but I've never seen it mentioned before.

You can use the air cured stuff to avoid baking, though not as durable. I wouldn't bead blast the carbon, just like you don't bead blast a scope, again but as durable.

Might be a dumb question... But

If it can't take being in the oven...

How are you going to be able to shoot it?... I mean barrels can get HOT

While I have not cerakoted a barrel, I have ceraokted several other CF parts for customers (motorcycle and drone parts.) I prep the surface just like any other cerakote job, except at a lower psi in the blasting cab and will pull the gun away from the part a little farther. You're just needing to lightly scuff the surface. You can also scuff it with a scotch brite pad. But, I don't like the finish as much using a scotch pad. As far as heat, any material that will withstand 150F can be cerakoted. Heck, I've even cerakoted a pair of shoes once. I bake CF parts at 150F for 3hrs, then shut the oven off and pull the parts the next day. I don't know if letting them cool slowly over night makes a difference or not. But, I've never had any issues.

Edit: Also, I degrease CF parts with Simple Green, not acetone. Not sure if acetone would do anything to the CF, but I never wanted to screw up a customers parts trying it.

Last edited: