• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbon fiber barrels

Mj30wilson900

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Missouri
    How do all you feel about them?
    Carbon fiber is a insulator but proof and Christensen and others tout them as coolers. I feel the heat up faster and tend to have more temperature extremes. For instance the barrel may heat up to 180 after a few shot and cool after ten minutes to 130.
    When fluting May get up to 160 and cool to 130.
    non fluting 145 cool to 125.
    So besides weight have they really cracked the code like they say?

I can't speak for the heat transfer. IME the practical take-away is that the CF barrels can (not necessarily "will") shoot just as good as solid steel barrels, but they tend to be pickier, and on the average I'd guess that they shoot just a little looser groups. Proof Research seems to be the best option but I've not tried Bartleins offerings. Christensen and Fierce are hit or miss and I've seen enough problems that I'm steering clear, personally. That's not to say they don't work fine for most folks and their intended purposes. I'd say those two are closer to a Remington factory varmint barrel for accuracy potential. The biggest thing I see over a pencil barrel of the same weight/length is the retention of diameter at the muzzle for threads.

Good for low volume guns or total non-barrel-burning cartridges where weight is a concern, and you want to maintain muzzle attachments.