• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Carbon fiber stock choices

Thank you for your answer,i'll try to call them to have more info ;
don't forget to post pics when you 'll have it!

Reactions: levi8599
thank you,Aaron has been really fast to answer all my questions,ready to order a magnus stock!

on the gunwerk stock cofigurator i have to select the"barrel shank lenght",does someone know how long a 3" shank (light palma barrel)will be when fitted in a deviant ga hunter long action?
i m still waiting for my action so a caliper is not an option!

I just received my Manners MCS -TA in Black Forest Camo - love it!

You’ll most likely need to ask your smith. They may be able to tell you. I have a proof cf shouldered prefit. That’s how I was able to measure.

thank you,Aaron has been really fast to answer all my questions,ready to order a magnus stock!

on the gunwerk stock cofigurator i have to select the"barrel shank lenght",does someone know how long a 3" shank (light palma barrel)will be when fitted in a deviant ga hunter long action?
i m still waiting for my action so a caliper is not an option!

on the defiance machine website is written that this action has a 1,0625"x16 TPI barrel thread,if i subtract it from the 3" of the barrel blank length,i should find the shank's length of the finished barreled action( if the integral recoil lug is threaded)?
am i wrong?

PS my gunsmith is closed for holiday and i'd love to order the magnus stock as soon as possible!

PS my gunsmith is closed for holiday and i'd love to order the magnus stock as soon as possible!

your gunsmith can likely make the shank length as you request. Is a day or two wait worth getting it correct the first time?

Manners MCST with Elite shell are my go to stocks.

The AG Sportsman/CAT are nice looking as well. But will need to hold one for fit.

Price is about the same but shorter wait time.

i went with jcs composites too. 2.8lbs the way I have it configured. Without optics rifle is under 10lbs with a 24" medium Palma
received_1158308494548387.jpeg

Got a link for jcs composites website?

found theirInstagram page but that’s all

Looking for a new stock for a hunting rifle. It’ll have a bighorn origin with a 22” proof sendero.

I know a lot is personal preference but I want something that has a high comb so I don’t need a cheek riser. I’ve been looming at Gunwerks, AG composites, McMillan, and stockys. Anything else out there? Looking to stay around $7-800
Manners

Finally got my stock in. Gunwerks clymr with 22” proof cf barrel. Just waiting on my action to show up in a few more weeks.
really nice!how long did you wait for it?i ordered a magnus early august and can't wait to receive it!

[QUOTE
Sweet build. How do you like the clymr? What made you want to go that route? I’m not too familiar with them.
[/QUOTE]

I actually first saw them when I was at national finals rodeo in 2019 and the negative comb and the ergonomics of it for me. I don’t like adding the weight of a cheek piece and didn’t want to throw a neoprene sleeve on a stock that was $600 or more.

Reactions: THLR
[...] the negative comb and the ergonomics of it for me. I don’t like adding the weight of a cheek piece and didn’t want to throw a neoprene sleeve on a stock that was $600 or more.

A lazy +1 from me.
I wanted the "LR shooting ergonomics" without the weight and size assosciated with other stocks.
I definitively carry the rifle more than I shoot, and I certainly have enough stuff to carry other than the rifle.

Very happy with the Clymr, it has several "why don't every manufacturer do this" selling points...

Clymr and bird.JPG

Thomas snøvær.JPG

[

View attachment 7504906

great set up and beautiful bird!which bullet do you use for shooting these birds with so little (if any?)damages?
can't wait to receive the magnus i ordered august 13th..

great set up and beautiful bird!which bullet do you use for shooting these birds with so little (if any?)damages?
can't wait to receive the magnus i ordered august 13th..

I've shot the Magnus. It was really nice, handled the 28 Nosler very well - and again: In a format closer to a traditional hunting rifle.

For shooting eating birds like this there really aren't many choices. A blunt FMJ that doesn't tumble when going through. Sako, Lapua and Norma makes good ones, just settle for whichever shoots best in your rifle. They typically bowl the bird over on the spot with a few flaps if anything. What you don't want is the bird lifting or throwing itself off the cliff which can make it VERY difficult to retrieve.
Hornady and Sierra versions are pretty "meh". My current bullets in the 221 Fireball is Lapua 55gr FMJ for birds and the much cheaper Sierra 53gr Matchking for target practice, both bullets shot over same load Vit N130.

I've shot the Magnus. It was really nice, handled the 28 Nosler very well - and again: In a format closer to a traditional hunting rifle.

thank you for your very informative answer and very pleased about your magnus opinion because mine will be mount on a mid weight 300 prc barreled action!

Mesa Precision Altitude with a Tikka Superlite. The only complaint about this stock is that for me a adjustable cheek piece would be awesome. Light, rigid, and performed well on my hunt out west.
F04E700A-1136-42A2-A932-10A2181A3D6A.jpeg
ED06E95C-D488-4654-AA9E-41A2FC8EEFB6.jpeg

Reactions: THLR
Up for more info.

Any good Black Friday sales going on to pick up a carbon stock at a good price?

Also, how does the Mesa Precision arms compare to the McMillan Game Warden/Hunter stocks?

Plus, is cutting the LOP on carbon stocks any different than regular fiberglass, etc.? My goal would be to do it myself instead of sending it off unless it requires something a competent DIY person doesn't have.

thanks

Reactions: Travis224