• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Carbon fiber wrapped barrel?

utnapishtim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hi all -

I recently picked up an older unfired FN SPR on trade, and I' considering doing some modifications to make it my go-to long range hunting rifle.

It's currently sporting a heavy assed 24" barrel. I'm looking to replace that with a 19" carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Can someone suggest a good manufacturer of said barrels who might also do the install?

If you think I should just deal with the exta weight, that would be good,info too.

Thanks!!

Rich

I've owned two Christensen rifles. I'm not sure they offer any advantages over a steel barrel. I'd read that they dissipate heat quicker, but also that they accumulate heat quicker. Both shot well, but so do other rifles that cost less.

In my Humble opinion bartleins are the standard to which to measure these days, again just my opinion

I wouldn't get hung up on Kreiger, Bartlein, Hart, Brux, Benchmark, etc. There's another that I've recently had excellent results from and that's Hawk Hill Precision. Shawn's barrels are incredible on my guns, I was so happy with the first 2 that I ordered 3 more.

The top level barrel makers are all making a fantastic product and they will all stand behind it in the rare event that a "dud" slips out.

It would be more appropriate to be picky with a gunsmith that will install it, and there are a several on this site that are fantastic. You need someone that is intimately familiar with building custom rifles on the Winchester actions. The coned breechface can be a little tricky to deal with, so find someone that has a good track record of working with them. I have personally done business with Short Action Customs, Black Ops Precision, Robert Gradous, Warner Tool & Die, and American Precision Arms (Jered Joplin). All of them are first rate guys, which is not to say that other folks like Louisiana Precision, GAP, Long Rifles Inc, etc are not. I just have not personally sent work to them though I have no reservations to think why I wouldn't.

The whole CF barrel thing does not have me convinced, I would drop to a very light contour and enjoy it over spending $1500 (with installation) on a CF wrapped barrel companies out there. I used to own a 6mm Rem AI that had a #3 Shilen on it. We had it so hot one day that I would get lined up, blow down the direction of the barrel, and close the bolt and shoot. The gun still stayed inside of a 10" plate at 1000yd for way too many rounds. That barrel hammered (not for long, it only lasted about 1200rds) and the gun didn't need a heavy contour to do it.

If you want to save weight, use a thinner or shorter barrel. Composites are inconsistent almost by definition. And the matrix is an insulator, despite carbon fiber being a good conductor. In any case, I can't think of a good reason to wrap plastic around a barrel.

Corrosion resistance is a great reason to go SS. You can have CM sent out for any of the trade-named processes that are ferritic nitrocarburizing (salt bath nitriding) and increase the CR ability as well as there are a lot of reports of increased barrel life. SBN treatment negatively impacts the CR ability of SS barrel steel but there is still the argument about barrel life.

Personally, I just get SS barrels from a good maker and expect to replace them as I wear them out. The cost of the barrel vs. the cost of the ammo involved in wearing out the barrel is a non-starter in the grand scheme of things.

Don't believe any of the internet rumors about SS barrels being bad in magnum calibers for light contour hunting rifles in cold weather, its a myth perpetrated by someone that has more followers than actual knowledge of the metallurgy he's talking about.

Corrosion resistance is a great reason to go SS. You can have CM sent out for any of the trade-named processes that are ferritic nitrocarburizing (salt bath nitriding) and increase the CR ability as well as there are a lot of reports of increased barrel life. SBN treatment negatively impacts the CR ability of SS barrel steel but there is still the argument about barrel life.

Personally, I just get SS barrels from a good maker and expect to replace them as I wear them out. The cost of the barrel vs. the cost of the ammo involved in wearing out the barrel is a non-starter in the grand scheme of things.

Don't believe any of the internet rumors about SS barrels being bad in magnum calibers for light contour hunting rifles in cold weather, its a myth perpetrated by someone that has more followers than actual knowledge of the metallurgy he's talking about.

^^^^ This. Carbon wrapped is a solution looking for a problem.

Okay. Last question (I think).

I've got an unfired SPR. It an older version though. I've been considering replacing the barrel with something lighter. Should I just man-the-fuck-up and learn to hump the 24" bull barrel? (Note-it's a wee bit hard for me to hold that sucker steady, off hand, aka hunting). Thoughts?

As always guys, I appreciate the fuck out of the information you all contribute! This is the best site for any rifleman.