• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Carbon fiber wraps on suppressors

Zevdogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Utah
I know nothing about carbon fiber wraps for suppressors but I've seen several home made cans with it done
is this something that can be done at home and does it help with harmonics ore just strenth
what about holding up to the heat from a 223 on a full auto mag dump

Re: Carbon fiber wraps on suppressors

First, facts --

Suppressors work by (breaking it down Barney style) turning noise into heat.

Carbon composite uses carbon fiber-laid cloth wrapped around a mold with resin injected between the fibers to retain the strength and shape.

The heat of the can will break down the resin.

Result --
You will make a big mess.

Not sure what the advantages of this would be, depending on how the composite is put together it can in fact be used in very high heat applications (nose cone of the Shuttle is a carbon-carbon composite good to ~3600 deg F.). Also depending on it's manufacture its heat transfer would be quite high. Seems making the overall wall of the can thicker with minimal mass added would just keep the can hot longer than a thin walled can with the same heat transfer rate. Suppose that and the weight reduction would be the benifit a pure composite can would give, however titanium provides this benifit too.

I have heard & told there is a in-state/OR. that is doing a Bi-carbon-metal wrapped Tube for suppressor . I have not seen one but only told of it.
I had a good friend who used to do carbon laminate for a living. I used to go into his shop and watch the process of lamination, vacuum bagging then Kiln Baking of the product. All the factory epoxy pre-pregnated laminant sheets used to wrap were kept in deep-freezers. The product after mold laminated to the shape and was vacuum bagged with high heat resistant plastic. then heat-Baked in controlled ovens. The Carbon lamination was Pretty strong and light weight stuff. Was a pretty cool process to watch from start to finish.
Lamination, It's not my Trade & I know Supcans get Hot and can even melt themselves to destruction but in today's & future industry of laminates. I would not rule out the possibility of (@ minimum )a carbon wrapped Tube working for suppression equipment. They have come a long way in heat resistant Bonding/epoxies also and going further as time passes. So You cant dismiss and right-it-off as a NoGo with someone experimenting and trying to workout the details.

Yes a company in Oregon made or makes a CF rifle suppressor.. The one I had the opportunity to see was a .408 version.
Very light weight. Recoil and flash suppression were very good as was sound signature down range. Suppressor cooled down remarkably fast, one could grab and hold it after a few minutes after rapid shooting of 20 and 30 rounds.Showed no issues with heat.

Hi I’m in sa and have ordered a locally made carbon fibre suppressor in 6.5 there are a lot of benefits to it like heat dissipation and weight advantages

Attachments

• 82FAF3E7-1807-435B-BA73-D4A74BF298EE.png
    82FAF3E7-1807-435B-BA73-D4A74BF298EE.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 73