• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carbs after noon??

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
I know there are good carbs and there are bad carbs. My question is this;

When people talk about cutting carbs after noon are they just talking about the bad carbs or all carbs? Can the good carbs be eating after noon without negative effects on weight gain?

Re: Carbs after noon??

Are you saying after noon as in after 12PM or just afternoon as in late evening/before bed?

If your gonna try to go carbless to low carbs from 12PM to bedtime everyday for any amount of time your setting yourself up for failure. Also, your going to kill your energy level. Are you training after 12PM? if so going carbless is a negative thing in this aspect. You need post work out carbs to replenish glycogen reserves.

Now, going carbless to low carb say....after 6PM-7PM until bedtime is not as difficult, but if you are EATING CLEAN then cutting carbs isnt gonna be your answer to weight loss anyway.

What is your goal? what are you trying to do?

Just trying to loose that last 8-10#'s of body fat. I'm eating clean with zero junk. I'm down from 242-245 to 196 as of this AM.

I figured they were talking about bad carbs and that good carbs with an evening meal wasnt a bad thing.

I work out around 1800 hrs M, W, F & S.

I agree with trevor..

Cutting carbs after noon depends on what your are going to do during the evening. Example, are you going to lift weights or run? you will need the fuel to power your workouts. If you just workout in the morning and chill at night, then cutting the Bad carbs such as white bread or any other starch is not a bad idea.

If you are trying to lose body fat, remember that your body has to use up all the stored glycogen in your system. That is why cardio/ weights preferred in the morning on an empty stomach.

Check out this link for a great read and refference

Can sombody please explain why carbs are "needed" at any point in the day?

Carbs are not essential to a daily diet , they are an easly used fuel for the body.

You can live a long healthy life not having any carbs factored into your eating other than the limited trace carbs here and their. Yes you will see a differance in energy levels at first and your strength will drop slightly due to the decrease in intercelular water in the muscle but your body will acclimate to it and get back in gear.

The thought that carbs are "needed" post workout is becuase the body burns off glycogen during the exercise and the carbs are a fast way of putting them back , thier is some merit that taking in very fast acting carbs like dextrose and waxy maize starch does promore muscle growth but this is due to the insulin response they cause becuase the carb itself does nothing more for the muscle than fill it with water.

"Needing" carbs goes along with people thinking you can not build muscle while you are in a calorie deficit , wich is true if you have to many carbs becuase you will be in a nutrient deficit. If your muscle building nutrients are high then you can build muscle with reduce calories (to a point)

you can get in enough carbs by noon (3 meals at 30-40g each)to carry your body through the day , the benifit of this is that by the evening workout you body will be depleted of glucose to burn as energy and will have to turn to another fuel source (Fat)also after these carbs are spent the blood glucose levels will be very stable at their normal range wich is another positive for allowing the body to burn fat. The body WILL NOT readly burn fat if an abundance of glucose is their

I need carbs. I don't 'need' carbs, but I need spaghetti, sweet potato, bread, even the occasional scoop or two of icecream for desert. I do tend to reduce them or eat 'good' carbs after lunch time. To me, the simple pleasures of things like eating my favorite foods are not things that I can do without. I do lots of cardio though, and even my gym workouts double as cardio because I do supersets with no rest. I guess it depends on what your goals are. Do you want to be healthy and in shape, or do you want to be absolutely shredded? Not that they are mutually exclusive, just saying...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need carbs. I don't 'need' carbs, but I need spaghetti, sweet potato, bread, even the occasional scoop or two of icecream for desert. I do tend to reduce them or eat 'good' carbs after lunch time. To me, the simple pleasures of things like eating my favorite foods are not things that I can do without. I do lots of cardio though, and even my gym workouts double as cardio because I do supersets with no rest. I guess it depends on what your goals are. Do you want to be healthy and in shape, or do you want to be absolutely shredded? Not that they are mutually exclusive, just saying...</div></div>

That is right , i personaly do not need crabs i feel fine and train fine without them , i do take in some precontest to fill up and in a bulking season simply as added calories but even then they are low 200g a day.

If one is looking to drop that last bit of fat then a carb restricted diet can be used to bring the BF% down , then good clean carbs can be reintroduced at proper times and the BF% can be maintained. The biggest problem i see people have is using the scale to judge their fat loss. carbs cause water retention , water is heavy when carbs are cut out weight will fall as will bodyfat , when carbs are put back PROPERLY the weight will come back up but the fat wont as long as the nutrients are kept in check

Carbohydrates are the macronutrient that we need in the largest amounts. According to the Dietary Reference Intakes published by the USDA, 45% - 65% of calories should come from carbohydrate. We need this amount of carbohydrate because:

- Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of fuel.
- Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy.
- All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy.
- Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.
- Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy.
- Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carbohydrates are the macronutrient that we need in the largest amounts. According to the Dietary Reference Intakes published by the USDA, 45% - 65% of calories should come from carbohydrate. We need this amount of carbohydrate because:

- Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of fuel.<span style="color: #FF0000">they are the prefered fuel</span>-
Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy.<span style="color: #CC0000">this is true and the reason they inhibit fat reduction</span>-
All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy. <span style="color: #CC0000">see above</span>-
Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.<span style="color: #CC0000">This is false glucose is needed to perform these function and the body can make make glucose without carbs</span>-
Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy.<span style="color: #CC0000">again , glucose is stored here and carbs are NOT needed to produce glucose</span>-
Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination. <span style="color: #CC0000">This is false , FIBER is needed to maintain healthy waste elimination and proper flora are needed to </span><span style="color: #CC0000">maintain proper intestinal health</span> </div></div>

JJones75

It seems like your posing the question of "will we die without carbs"? No, most likely not, but can your body function and recover at it's peak without them?.....NO it can not. We are not carnivores, atleast not the people we have evolved into today. Carbs play a role in many areas of the body, other than "just" fuel source. So do we need carbs from live or die stand point....no.

Carbohydrates are INFLAMITORY to the body , they cause increase in insulin production which in turn increases fat storage.

I'm not bashing carbs all together , you can eat plenty of carbs and maintain a very healthy lifestyle , what i am saying is that the more carbs you have the harder you have to work to burn off the fat becuase the body will not readly tap into fat storage for needed energy when their is an abundance of carbs preasant to make glucose. The massive amount of highly processed carbs we eat daily as Americans is exactly whats killing us

On that note , the body <span style="font-weight: bold">DOES NOT </span>use carbs for energy , it uses glucose for energy , the body makes glucose very easly from carbs but they are not the only way the nbody can make it other wise once your glucose levels were depleated you would slip into a hypoglycemic comma and die , the body will not readly allow this in healthy people it will make glucose from other sources.

what is published and commonly followed by modern medical practice is very one sided , i have repeatedly heard how the majority of the calories NEED to come from carbs to maintain a healthy life style , how eating more that 100g of protein a day will cause kidney failure , how eating more than 1-2 egg yolks will have your cholosterol so high your a heath attack waiting to happen. but i have yet to see one legitimate study to prove this.
Not to sound like a conspiracy theory nut job but alot of the studies done are backed by paharacutical companies , so tell me why the hell Phizer would fund a study that is going to prove that their products are not needed??
Dont go by what so and so said , or by what published bullshit artical was written , go by what has proven results

Also, you mentioned "pre-contest".....so I assume you compete in bodybuilding? If so, and you firmly believe that we as humans do not need carbs, go through your entire training period (6-9 months out) prepping for the comp 100% carb free and let's see what you look like when you step on stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJones75

It seems like your posing the question of "will we die without carbs"? No, most likely not, but can your body function and recover at it's peak without them?.....NO it can not. We are not carnivores, atleast not the people we have evolved into today. Carbs play a role in many areas of the body, other than "just" fuel source. So do we need carbs from live or die stand point....no. </div></div>

Why cant your body recover and perform at peak levels without carbs , what other function do cabrs play other than a fuel source?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are good carbs and there are bad carbs. My question is this;

When people talk about cutting carbs after noon are they just talking about the bad carbs or all carbs? Can the good carbs be eating after noon without negative effects on weight gain? </div></div>

You are on the right track. Don't eat the bad Carbs/Grains (breads, pasta, rice, etc) after lunch. You can have the good carbs (veggies) after lunch. Try not go have anything 3 hours before going to bed. Water is OK. Also limit your fruit intake. The only grains I have is Oatmeal for breakfast and veggies after that and I have plenty of energy for my workouts. Veggies are a great source for the vitamins and minerals and the fiber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJones75

It seems like your posing the question of "will we die without carbs"? No, most likely not, but can your body function and recover at it's peak without them?.....NO it can not. We are not carnivores, atleast not the people we have evolved into today. Carbs play a role in many areas of the body, other than "just" fuel source. So do we need carbs from live or die stand point....no. </div></div>

Why cant your body recover and perform at peak levels without carbs , what other function do cabrs play other than a fuel source? </div></div>

Ok, lets pause for a moment and simply apply some real world everyday common sense here.
We have two people (Person A and Person B). For experiment we will make all things equal about A and B. Same race, age, weight, body comp, etc..... Both go into the gym and rep out a solid 45 minute hard core squat workout. The kind of squatting that makes you almost throw up just as your finishing up. Person A leaves the gym and goes home and just lays around watching tv till bed time then goes to sleep. He does NOT consume any type of food/nutrients at all. Person B unzips his gym bag and slams a shake of 55grams of protien and 30 grams of dextrose with some added BCAA's and Creatine before be ever leaves the gym. He then goes home and eats a good meal of chicken breast and a portion of brown rice. Person B then goes to bed.

Ok.....The next morning, back at the gym, back on the squat rack.....are you honestly going to attempt to tell me that Person A is going to perform/function at the same level as Person B???

I use carbs the last week before a contest basicaly to "cheat" and hyper hydrate the muscle with water and glucose. Their is a very complex process of sodium and water manipulation leading up to a carb loading phase. you can go through a complete prep including getting on stage with zero carbs , you will not appear as full and dry as you would if you use the carbs to manipulate the bodys retained water but you will be just as lean

I do my entire contest prep with zero carbs , using high protien and moderate fats as fuel to do my job and train and i can progressivly add muscle while reducing body fat like this. the later stages on a contest diet i will lose a little strength and endurance due to being in a pretty good calorie deficit.
In the off season i do eat some carbs maybe 200g a day and more than half of that comes from fruit mostly pineapple , i eat these carbs to help break up the redundancy of dieting and add some nutrients from the fruit so i don't have to swallow as many vitamins and mineral a day and most of the rest of the carbs comes from raw milk sugars , the only time i eat any processed carbs is when i eat out with the family and generaly i feel like shit after these meals

Ok, well sir, in all honesty I'd be very interested in a daily example of what your diet consists of when "in prep". Also, what is your height and body weight both pre and post. If you do not want to post it here feel free to PM me. I'd certainly like to see how you go carbless and still intake the calories needed to build muscle. To gain mass I have to take in atleast 3,550 calories a day and that's with no cardio. How do you do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJones75

Why cant your body recover and perform at peak levels without carbs , what other function do cabrs play other than a fuel source? </div></div>

Ok, lets pause for a moment and simply apply some real world everyday common sense here.
We have two people (Person A and Person B). For experiment we will make all things equal about A and B. Same race, age, weight, body comp, etc..... Both go into the gym and rep out a solid 45 minute hard core squat workout. The kind of squatting that makes you almost throw up just as your finishing up. Person A leaves the gym and goes home and just lays around watching tv till bed time then goes to sleep. He does NOT consume any type of food/nutrients at all. Person B unzips his gym bag and slams a shake of 55grams of protien and 30 grams of dextrose with some added BCAA's and Creatine before be ever leaves the gym. He then goes home and eats a good meal of chicken breast and a portion of brown rice. Person B then goes to bed.

Ok.....24hrs later, back at the gym, back on the squat rack.....are you honestly going to attempt to tell me that Person A is going to perform/function at the same level as Person B??? </div></div>
No , but your not compairing apples to apples here your saying that a person getting no nutrition cant compet with somebody getting nutrition, if person A doesnt eat anything then hell no he will not recover period no question about that
BUT
if he does the same thing person B does only replaces the dextrose a big handfull of cashews instead then eats a good meal composed of a steak and salad , then yes i fully feel that he will compete with person A the next training session.

At no point did i say anything about not eating.

My leg day is composed of very high volume training , 3-4 sets to failure on squats with 405lbs generaly starts in the 25-30 rep range for the first set 18-20 for the second set , 10-14 for the 3rd set and 6-8 for the last folowed by single leg extensions and laying curls same reps range with a weight that causes failure , i don't feel that my legs lag in any way by not getting any carbs
this was 4 weeks ago , 274lbs about 8% BF ZERO carbs
legday-1-1-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, well sir, in all honesty I'd be very interested in a daily example of what your diet consists of when "in prep". Also, what is your height and body weight both pre and post. If you do not want to post it here feel free to PM me. I'd certainly like to see how you go carbless and still intake the calories needed to build muscle. To gain mass I have to take in atleast 3,550 calories a day and that's with no cardio. How do you do it? </div></div>

Im 35yrs old , 6'2" curently 270ish pounds 7-8% BF

meal 1 , 12 egg whites 4 whole eggs with 3 oz grass fed lean ground beef mixed in
meal 2 , 75gr protein shake 66% egg protein 33% whey isolate , 40g almonds
meal 3 , 10oz chicken 2 cups green beans 3 whole boiled eggs
meal 4 , same as meal 3
meal 5 , same as meal 2
meal 6 , 10 oz lean steak , large spniach salad with 2 tablespoons EVOO dressing
Meal 7 , 75g casine protein , 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter

DC style weight training M,W,F , 20 min HIIT cardio post workout
60 min fasted LISS cardio on non training days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a bunch of eggs. Do you raise chickens?</div></div>

And a lot of chicken. If they are laying enough they get eaten for meals 3 and 4!

yep , for the first one.
i guess im a puss cause i wear abelt though
confused.gif

but i do a full squat hamstrings bottom out on calves.

As for the eggs My folks raise chickens so i get all my eggs for free , i have to buy the chicken though. I bought a steer last year and have just about exhaused all that beef but alot of my protein and fat comes from grass fed beef and whole eggs , the beef gets cut way back during a contest prep

Sorry, not buying it; perhaps you can save it for someone who has never stepped foot in a GYM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, not buying it; perhaps you can save it for someone who has never stepped foot in a GYM. </div></div>

LOL , like you?

Been training almost longer then you've been alive; like I said save the "nutrition" speech and how many sets and reps...
Been there done that! Now go shave your.....

What is the source of protein for the largest mammal on the planet? Hint: The largest mammal is the African Elephant, but if not, for this question, assume it is.

Answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the source of protein for the largest mammal on the planet? Hint: The largest mammal is the African Elephant, but if not, for this question, assume it is.

Answer: </div></div>
The elephant is an omnivoure , its body is not desgined to eat any meat thus it has very little reliance on protein.
Even better yet look at the great apes yea they do it some meat but very little and pound for pound they are way stonger than any man alive.
both of these animals diet are composed of leafy folage
But whats the point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the source of protein for the largest mammal on the planet? Hint: The largest mammal is the African Elephant, but if not, for this question, assume it is.

Answer: </div></div>
The elephant is an omnivoure </div></div>
Really, try again !

Although a zero carb diet is achievable, it is not necessarily reasonable. Yes horses and other animals do not eat meat and they are pretty stong, but I dont know the last time I saw one sitting in a Wendys, or even a cruising the isles of the local health food store.

One can lose weight by cutting carb intake at reasonable levels, just enough to start ketosis and break down the fat for a usable energy source. The reduction in carbs should be done in moderation, and if your goal is zero carb, then slowly progress to it.
I feel doing so will paint the person into a corner, as once you are able to function at zero carbs, you are limited to what you can eat or drink. This can have financial and cultural implications. It is not cheap to eat strictly proteins and fats. Also, food is associated with many of our cultural interactions, may it be family gatherings, holiday meals, or a dessert with the kids.

Lastly, IMO it does not matter if one can squat a Humvee, if a super big gulp of mountain dew will send them into anaphylactic shock.

The point is this: just as JRose says we don't really need carbs, we also don't really need meat for a source of protein as is testified to, inarguably and obviously, by the Elephant; no meat, no carbs, only plants. They, along with horses as roggom brought up, seem to grow reasonably large, powerful, muscular, and lean....right?

I've seen Elephant molars. They look just like humans except they are the size of a human fist. Look like one too. One may well argue then our digestive systems are similar, and therefore ours is not designed to digest meat. However, carnivores are. Do our molars look like a canine's? Nope. Then why are we eating meat? Only because it taste good.

A recognized authority on fructose consumption, who's also a Ph.D University Professor, believes we in America are fat because of our excessive sugar consumption rather than our fat consumption, for what that might be worth to anyone.

We're animals inasmuch as we adapt to our environment such as primates would should they be forced into an area of different food sources or changes due to climate in the interest of survival of the species. Babboons will damned sure ring a dogs neck and eat that bitch in a New York second, at least in Kenya where I was.

So, Roscoe, I think if you stay the course you'll lose it, though gradually, tapering off sugar as it suits you. We need no sugar added to our food. Whole foods such as corn and potatoes become sugar. If we eat raw food we'd be healthier, faster, stronger, bigger, smarter.

And whatever you do. Don't read a Muscle magazine. The contents are the buggest bunch of bullshit like gun magazines. The material is slanted to those who are or will buy advertising.

P.S. A word or two about protein sources:

Where do vegans get their protein? It's simple. The plant-based diet includes a wide variety of whole foods consisting of beans, whole-grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, along with products made from these natural foods, such as tofu, tempeh, and meat analogs. Those who believe plant protein is inferior to animal protein may be surprised to learn that plant proteins contain the same 22 amino acids as animal proteins.

Protein, one of the three macronutrients, is composed of amino acids, often referred to as building blocks. A complete protein contains 22 amino acids. From the foods we consume, the body has the ability to manufacture most of the amino acids it requires. Nine of these amino acids are the exception: isoleucine, leucine, lysine, threonine, tryptophan, methionine, histidine, valine, and phenyalanine. This group of amino acids is considered essential to the body and must be obtained from the foods we eat.

Animal foods like meat, chicken, fish, eggs, and dairy products all contain complete protein--that is, all 22 amino acids. Complete protein in the vegan diet is found in the grain quinoa. Soybeans and products made from soybeans like tofu, tempeh, and miso, also contain complete protein. Soy sauce is not a complete protein.

Plant-based foods like legumes, most whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds all contain protein but do not contain complete protein by themselves. However, the body forms an amino acid pool from the foods eaten throughout the day. When a vegan consumes a variety of foods eaten at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the body can use these amino acids to make up complete protein.
http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, not buying it; perhaps you can save it for someone who has never stepped foot in a GYM. </div></div>

I'll buy it. He is a competitive bodybuilder and 150% bodyweight for 20-30 reps is a do-able number for squats.

Back to the OP's question. Either/or will work. IMHO I would start with just cutting back on simple/bad carbs after about 4 or 5 PM. Give it a little while and see how you feel. I tend to cut back a little too much and then binge on pasta and bread... I rationalize it by calling it 'carb loading phase'

Percentages don't work that way in weight training. I know that a guy weighing 200lbs can possibly squat 300lbs for a possible 25-30 reps; but a guy weighing 270 and squating 405 for the same reps is a different story! Kinda like diminishing returns. And the part about hamstrings touching calves is another story!

wnroscoe- Good job on the hard work! Keep it up. Try moving your carbs to post workout. After each workout your body has a window of 15-40 mins where it processes carbs without an associated spike in insulin levels. You get a free pass on the carbs...try to take in 30-40g to start. Experiment just like load development. You are looking for the right load that will facilitate recovery and not add fat. If you find that your working weights are leveling out or nagging injuries are catching up with you...eat more animal protein and fat for recovery. If you find you need to add carbs back in pre-workout because you are low on energy make sure they are bound in a fiber source...eat the orange skip the orange juice.

regarding the elephant comparison...When I see elephants squatting 150% of their bodyweight below parallel for 20-30 reps then I'll start paying attention to what they eat.

Just for conversation, my carb intake has been limited to the good carbs with no white bread, white pasta, white rice etc. with one exception, white rice. I've only had that twice since November of 2010.

It sounds like good carbs in moderation will be OK. I'll try to limit those to before 1800hrs.

Thanks for all the good info.

Jones,

Damn, that's a lot of eggs man. I do good to eat two whole eggs and two egg whites in the AM.

Question;

If you mix egg whites into a protein drink will you taste them? If not I may try to increase my egg white intake that way.

Roscoe, did we all miss this point, or did I miss it; burning energy (calories)? If this were a puzzle buring calories would be the missing piece unless I'm the only one who wasn't assuming that was an assumed part. Just covering bases. Being a good lawyer. You know. Thorough.

Btw; sorry to slightly hijack your thread but the topic of human adaptability of diet was tangentially pertinent to to your topic, hopefully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Percentages don't work that way in weight training. I know that a guy weighing 200lbs can possibly squat 300lbs for a possible 25-30 reps; but a guy weighing 270 and squating 405 for the same reps is a different story! Kinda like diminishing returns. And the part about hamstrings touching calves is another story! </div></div>

Off topic, but I was just goofing on youtube as usual and just figured I'd share
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GG9KsSiMMc&feature=related

there are guys who can do it. I have personally witnessed a guy about 250-260 put them up easier than the guy in the vid, but he didn't go until failure. IMHO using bodyweight percentage is a great way to judge your strength, like if you can bench 200% of your bodyweight, you are a strong sob whether you are 150lbs or 275.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you mix egg whites into a protein drink will you taste them? If not I may try to increase my egg white intake that way. </div></div>

They are pretty much tasteless , they will make the shake a little thicker and might add a slight salt taste but not enought to notice in my oppinion.
If you make a shake in the blender it will cause the same to have alot more foam than normal , same if you use milk rather than water.

Dude dont over think it. Stay away from lots of carbs (breads, pasta etc.). for 4 hours before you're going to sleep. So if you go to bed at 10pm stay away from carbs after 6pm. That's it. If anyone wants to argue this I'll gladly go pic for pic with you.
wink.gif

Jjones you have a pm!

I totally agree with every thing jj has to say about carbs.

Trust me guys, this guy knows his shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you saying after noon as in after 12PM or just afternoon as in late evening/before bed?

If your gonna try to go carbless to low carbs from 12PM to bedtime everyday for any amount of time your setting yourself up for failure. Also, your going to kill your energy level. Are you training after 12PM? if so going carbless is a negative thing in this aspect. You need post work out carbs to replenish glycogen reserves.

Now, going carbless to low carb say....after 6PM-7PM until bedtime is not as difficult, but if you are EATING CLEAN then cutting carbs isnt gonna be your answer to weight loss anyway.

What is your goal? what are you trying to do? </div></div>

I agree to everything!

If your cutting down, I would not touch carbs after lunch. I'm doing it right now, only I don't eat them all day. I compete in powerlifting at 198lbs, and walk around 10 months a year about 220. The first thing I do to start dropping the weight, is begin removing carbs. As long as you eat the protein and get some fats, you will probably feel like a million bucks. I look better, I'm leaner, and I don't lose strength. Sure, I can't go quite as hard, but for my goals, it works.

Just start getting ready to eat egg whites and meat all day long. Shakes help too.