• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Care Package ??

xdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2005
North Dakota
I've got a buddies brother that just went over to Afganistan, I'm putting together a care package. Just looking for some good ideas from the guys that have been over seas and what they liked.

Beef Jerky
playing cards
magazines
books

need some ideas guys.

thanks,
Deano

Re: Care Package ??

American tobacco (smokes/dip) goes a long way compared to the crap they get over there from the PX.

Socks, zip loc bags, and baby wipes are also great for when you can't hit up the shower as often as you like.

Josh

+1 to the tobacco products because sometimes you just cant get them. Another good thing to send is canned goods like spaghettios and things of that nature. Also the hormel microwavable meals were always good to get. Candy was another good one. Plus what was mentioned above. The canned goods and microwavable meals were good for when you couldnt get to the chow hall or the meal sucked. They are also much more enjoyable then eating MRE's constantly.

what base is he going to? and what branch is he in. im currently in afghanistan right now, so im sure i can help with this one! send me an e-mail seeing as i dont get on here much and if i do i prob wont remeber i posted in here....ill PM u my address

fly paper holy cow cant open your mouth over here with out the flies getting in your mouth and mouse traps instant drink mixes is always good as well oh I second on the dip smokes on alot of the out laying COP's and FOB's they may not get to make runs to the big hubs like Kandahar and other places

all great advice, my box is going to be big.
wink.gif

xdeano

And another one for the snuff. Tin top Copenhagen is worth its weight in gold sometimes. Instant drink mixes, especially the ones with caffeine in them for those long nights and no Rip-Its around.

If you haven't started to already, utilize the USPS FLAT RATE boxes to ship.
1. APO addresses are considered local, so you should only pay $14.95 at most
2. you can make these as heavy as possible (I think up to 70 lbs, but unless you're shipping solid metal I don't think you'll hit that limit)
3. In Iraq (on a major FOB) I was receiving packages well under the 2 week window, sometimes under a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And another one for the snuff. Tin top Copenhagen is worth its weight in gold sometimes.</div></div>

Best thing goin. And if the recipient doesn't like Copenhagen, someone he knows will and he can swap it around for something he wants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And another one for the snuff. Tin top Copenhagen is worth its weight in gold sometimes.</div></div>

Best thing goin. And if the recipient doesn't like Copenhagen, someone he knows will and he can swap it around for something he wants.

</div></div>

trading and drug dealing is the greatest thing in the AOR

I'd recommend sending Redman Fine Cut Natural. Helluva lot cheaper to buy so you can send a ton more of it, and it's an exact replacement for Cope silver top. The plastic can/metal lid will keep it fresher a lot longer, and will hold up much better for those folks with an "active" lifestyle. Nuthin' worse than smashing your cardboard dip can somewhere/somehow and ending up with a pocket full of dirty snuff.

Especially being so far from town.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you haven't started to already, utilize the USPS FLAT RATE boxes to ship.
1. APO addresses are considered local, so you should only pay $14.95 at most
2. you can make these as heavy as possible (I think up to 70 lbs, but unless you're shipping solid metal I don't think you'll hit that limit)
3. In Iraq (on a major FOB) I was receiving packages well under the 2 week window, sometimes under a week. </div></div>
Sometimes it would take up to 4 months for me to recieve packages if I recieved them at all (about a 75% success rate for packages from my parents in 2009 in An Najaf, Iraq).

It takes a while to get to the remote small combat outposts.

BTW, care packages are like Christmas presents are for little kids. Some magazines, shooting, hunting, car, motorcycle is always great if they are in a remote location. Personal hygene items are always good but please don't send your used hotel soap collection (I appreciate that they took the time to send it but used hotel soap?). Safety razors, deoderant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, q-tips, floss and stuff along those lines are always handy. The flavored water packets are nice as is little candies and jerky which are nice as a little pick me up during patroling. This is just a couple of quick things that comes to mind.

I appreciate what your doing for the guys.