• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

carnivore 5 light?

rickey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
La Porte, TX
Has anyone used one of these lights to go hog hunting at night? I've been looking around and have narrowed it down to the xlr 250 kill light from exclusive wildlife, wicked w 400 or the Carnivore5 light. Biggest thing that I didnt like the carnivore5 is that I can only find it in red and on only one site.... Lights | SafeHarborStore.com Although im buying this light to go hog hunting/varmint hunting I would like to have different color led's so I can use the light for more then just night hunting. Even just throw it in the truck so I always have a light on hand. How hard is it to change the leds in the xlr250 kill light. I know that wicked claims theirs are the easiest to change out in the industry but are they that hard to change...? Also if you find the carnivore5 on a different site let me know they claim to be sold out and Im leaving to go hunt next weekend.... Thanks again

I had an XLR250 in green and have an XLR100 in green. The 250 was a great light, very bright. You could easily identify targets out to 150+ yards with it if you have a decent scope. It was actually a bit too big and too bright for my needs though so I got the XLR100 with low and hi settings instead, I used it hog hunting just last month. The low setting is good for scanning without scaring too much stuff off. You can use it to find eyes but it's too dim for good identification at 100 yard. The hi setting though was plenty bright for 100 yard shots, and while it did startle the pigs at first it didn't scare them off and I was able to get one after waiting them out a bit.

I haven't tried to change the LED on either but I don't see how it would be too hard. EWT offered great customer service too as they refunded me for the 250 without any hassle since it was still new and I called them and told them I wanted the 100 instead. I would definitely give them my business again.

I got just the light without any of the accessories and used my own mount. I am also just using regular CR123 batteries as I didn't want to deal with chargers. The tailcap click is a bit on the noisy side so you have to turn it on very slowly to keep it quiet. Otherwise they have the remote pressure switch option which I didn't bother with.

I almost forgot. I think the 250 and 100 use the same LED, it's just the different reflector design of the much larger 250 that gives it the additional range and brightness. The 250 beam is very focused and narrow. The 100 beam is dimmer with a wider field of illumination.

Don't rule out the Lightforce 170 strykers. great weapons lights with removable red filter. The housing has a twist focus function like our old mag lights, so you can tune the beam to suit your situation. It also has a rheostat to keep it dim for sweeping and full on rocker switch to flip when you're ready to shoot. I've got two of them. When I showed the boys in S.D at last years Pheasant hunt, sweeping the milo fields was incredible.

Best all around mod I made was accidental. I got the I/R cover to try with my NV gear, downsized the original 75w blub for the 30w. You can't run the battery pack down now! It's been over two years now, still rolling hard. Just another option.

Good luck with the hunt,
Breeze

Holly hell batman that light force is big! I'm looking for a smaller light then that. I think I'm going to buy the carnivore5 only proem is their sold out. they said they werent going to get any more anytime soon because predictor season is pretty much over.... Also he said if more people called and asked for it he would offer a green carnivore5 as well as the red and white he already has. From what I've read the carnivore5 beats out every other light in that size range. Since I can't get ahold of one in time I found the knock off wicked light directly from china for around 45 so ill probably just see how that works and wait till they get more carnivore5 lights in stock....

They're big, but uber light weight with a polycarbonate housing. My nighttime whacker in 22-250: effective

TrustyRusty22250.jpg

Breeze

im looking to put mine on an ar and then use it for night shoots down the road. Although the light force will be brighter I can really run through a 3 gun stage with it. Well not very fast that is ;>

thanks for the pic I like the stock on that rifle.

+1 for the XLR 250. Shot numberous hogs out to about 200 yards. It has a very bright focused beam that your scope picks up well, and also has a fairly large "flood light" area which really helps finding the downed hogs in the dark. At the hunting camp we keep 4 or 5 charged up and ready to go for anyone that wants to venture out at night looking for hogs.

I have used the light on the handguard of an AR and mounted to the top of a traditional scope. Both methods work well and the mounting hardware is included with the light.

No complaints yet...

well I bought the xlr250 and it arrived the morning before I left.... However it was to the wrong address...... they shipped it to my billing address instead of the shipping address so I had no Clue where it was and didnt get to use it...;( hopefully I will take it out soon and see what I think.

Thanks for the responses.