• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carry knife preferences

Patbower9

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2013
Southern California
Anyone have any everyday-carry preferences? I've carried around a coldsteel Recon 1 with a tanto blade for a while and I love it. I used a smith and wesson border guard for a while but the locking mechanism was bad and the blade was flimsy so I switched over and I love it, but I think it's nearing time for a change. Anyone have any outstanding ideas?

I carry an Emerson Microcommander most of the time (SN 009 for whoever finds that interesting), an Izula or a waved Delica.

I carry a small Kershaw folder and sort of beside the ignition switch of my FJ cruiser is a small S & W boot knife attached with velcro that surprisingly comes in handy!

I prefer Spyderco, my rotation usually consists of a military a para military, harpy and delica. Spydies are lefty friendly which is probably why I prefer them.

I am past the folder phase :)
Seriously I do like this simple knife.

Attachments

• Mine.jpg
    Mine.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 40
Nice knife. Small fixed (esp mounted horizontal just left of the belt buckle - ambi in the FUT) is a great way to roll.

Emerson CQC 7 part serrated, non waved or Spyderco Para military. These are my two favorites for edc and all around use. If you have some extra cash try and find a Hinderer - built like a tank with real quality.

Budget is a big player in knife selection, closely followed by function (steel types, single/multi-purpose, locking and deploying mechanisms), and "fashion" for lack of better words. Figure out what you need it for, be it as a cutting tool, rescue, defense use, prying, or otherwise. I stay away from cheap knives because while they may cut well, I've found their liner locks to be weak and dangerous.

State laws as well play a huge roll. Check them before you go buying, especially for length, function and purpose. I can "go armed" for self defense with my Glock in Tennessee because I have a CHP, but heaven forbid if I do it with a pocket knife, so I'm in search of something less aggressive looking just to reduce the odds of playing the legal game. Idiots...

There's a lot of good options from Benchmade in the <$100 category such as the Griptillian and Mini Presidio, and higher grades of Benchmades along with Emersons, Tops and many others in the $100-$200. From there you can start really going all out for a Chris Reeve, Spartan Akribis, Rick Hinderer, or straight custom if you want to drop some more dough on a fine piece of craftsmanship. Search for the deals on the Benchmades, and I buy mine from Knifeworks.com as they have the best prices on the net with the discount code "BR549" and a huge inventory and selection. Even Benchmade's Promotive store can't touch Knifeworks.

What I carry at work is a Leatherman Wave, combo edge folding Benchmade 581 and a short fixed blade Blackhawk Crucible with a combo edge. At home I alternate between an Emerson SOC-FK and a CQC-7, but I really want to get a Sebenza for daily carry. Dang gun builds keep getting in the way of that budget.

To the dud who wrote Benchmade Blows - Come on man, I went to the factory just because I was in Portland. While some of B/M knives are imported, like their lower lines, most are USA made. Les is a good guy, he didn't know me from anyone, and came out and shook my hand. I own several Benchmades, all are good knives. I like the Pardue designs and I also have met Mel Pardue on more than one occasion. Benchmade treats their designers well. Their employees like working there and take pride in their work. Benchmade made the first factory design of the Emerson 7, I still have one after many years of hard use.

The Benchmade warranty and service is really good. While they may not be on par with Strider or Hinderer, for the money they made a darn good knife.

Last edited:
Benchmade "Pardue" Griptillian, tanto partially serrated 154CM blade or my newly acquired Buck Vantage Pro, clip style 420HC stainless blade. I find the Vantage a bit more utilitarian for every day uses, but I know the liner-lock style and clip style blade don't make it as desirable a fighting knife. Will probably carry the BM on this next deployment...I've stabbed straight into/through a groundhog's skull with the BM when I wanted a stylish finishing move.

I gave my fast opening folder to my oldest boy when I went totally to non folding knives. I have a Tops Scalpel, and a custom made 2" blade(looks the same as Desert 308's) that are carried sideways on the belt, handle centered or slightly dropped by the buckle. "Oh, such a wee little blade, not effective!" you say. Have you ever seen what a rising diagonal strike does to a face or arm when a blade comes out? How about a dropping diagonal or a forward thrust? Those little 2" blades will stop an attack right quick if it gets that close.

Knives work like swords in their application of strikes. There are 9 basic strikes. Rising and Dropping Right and Left Diagonal, Rising and Dropping Straight, Left to Right and Right to Left, Thrust. All of these strikes work with any knife, and if any knife comes out of it's sheath in a rising or sideways or thrusting strike, it will get the attention of an adversary very fast. But you all know this stuff

DPX Hest folder in casual clothes. Reeve's Sebenza Insingo Small when I'm wearing a coat and/or tie.

Al Mar Eagle talon. It has a 4 inch blade, but is so thin it fits neatly beside my wallet in a back pocket. Just like a firearm, if a knife is so bulky that you don't carry it, it is useless. I love that the Eagle Talon is so thin that it is easy to carry every dau.

I'm a big fan of the Blackjack 155. Fast to deploy, amazingly sharp, and very light. I carry one daily.

I carry a Zero Tolerance 0300ST, and I love it. From what I've seen most people find it too big for everyday carry, but I've been carrying it daily for a couple years and it doesn't bother me. Guess I'm just used to it.

+1 for the ZT301ST. It's a heavy knife and some times it's not practical depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing. If and when that is the case, I cary a folding CRKT M-21 Aluminum.

I currently carry a CRKT Shenanagin Its a decent knife for the price and I have always had good luck with the CRKT brand. I have been seriously considering adding something like the fox krambit to my carry but that would be an addition not a replacement.

I use to carry a CS AK-47 and a leatherman juice, I sold the ak-47 because it was just a we bit to long for chicago but i still have the Juice.
But In the future I might have two blades created for the sole purpose of being concealed blades. But for now I'll stick with my Leatherman Juice since it's still good, thou i need to sharpen it.

Last edited:
Pretty much any of these on a daily basis, though I probably carry the ZT more often than the others and the ProTech least often. The Onion 1580ST is a recent replacement (NOS- they're discontinued), for a 1580 which was my favorite daily driver for a number of years that I misplaced about a year ago.

I carry a benchmade auto presidio at all times. The thing holds and edge forever and sharpens really easily when the time comes. It's not in the least bit legal in my state however so I'm looking for a good fixed blade to replace it. It's been a really great knife though and has held up to everything I've ever put it through. I've processed deer with it and didn't have to touch it up until I got to deer number four last season. Also I didn't pay anything for it so that's always a plus. A friend had owed me 75 bucks for a few years and I had forgotten about it but I ran into him one day and he gave me the knife as payment. Can't complain about that.

Gerber 06 Military automatic. Unless Im wearing shorts (cargo-cut pockets), when I carry a Kershaw Kuro.

Here's my mini,. the full sized one is sitting at home in the States.

Both are illegal to carry in PA unless I'm in uniform. GA was much nicer with its laws on auto knives.

Personally i like the Cold Steel Rajah III for an EDC defensive blade. I use a Gerber multitool for my utility blade.

Gerber EAB Lite Clip Folding Utility Knife with G-10 Handle. I use the titanium edged blades too. Sort of a fancy box cutter with a nice clip that I use as a money clip. My tactical needs usually involve opening a box from the UPS or FedEx guy....

+2 for Benchmade mini-grip for EDC. Small enough to please most Troopers and not scare the in-laws, but quick and sharp. Avoiding legal scrutiny matters sometimes, as Redman pointed out.