• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carry knife preferences

Hi, been reading around. This is a great forum that was recommended to me. If I'm in denim a Gypsy Jack. If in slacks a Carbon Fiber Gentleman Jim.

I picked up a Bench-made Griptillian (?) and have been using it for a couple weeks. Pretty nice carry knife and sharp as hell.
Around $100

Always in reach , Spyderco JD Smith , Razor Sharp , fast deploy ...... I am more likely to leave the house with one shoe than to leave without it ;-)

Just found a discontinued Benchmade Nitrous Stryker to carry while my Mini Nitrous Stryker is getting fixed up by Benchmade. I love these knives. The D2 Steel is great, and the assisted opening is nice. Not sure why they discontinued these, but I would like to find another Mini.

My most carried are:
BM 940
Spyderco Techno
GEC #72LB
BM Ritter Mini-Grip
CRK Insingo

Few pics I had handy:
IMG_20140206_121122_699

IMG_20140223_111403_618.jpg

vpq4.jpg

anyone ever see Bawidamann blades. He's got some really nice looking knives. Almost impossible to find them for sale though.

Was a long time CQC7 user, then switched to a Twitch II for a while, Paramilitary 2 and now DragonFly 2 ZDP-189.

...just graduated to a more discrete tool over time.

Bang for the buck, I like the DragonFly 2 of some type depending on Budget. Twitch II for a good bang for the buck discrete assisted opening blade.

I carry a ZT 0350ST. It is as close as I can think to perfection for a slim pocket knife.

+1 on ZT. I grabbed up a 0560 with the limited run s110v blade. Ridiculous awesome. Trashed the carbon fiber scales and threw some micarta ones on it. The most comfortable, solid knife I own...

Also replaced the alloy steel hardware with stainless...
A9254F90-2FDA-45B7-90A5-984055AF5858.jpg

Hey, I've got an 0561. Where'd you get the micarta scales or did you make them? Looks sweet!

For me, daily carry used to be a KaBar Komodo sheepsfoot. I'm usually really just opening boxes and such and figured the straighter blade came closer to a box knife or utility knife. Just recently picked up a Kershaw Cryo II so that'll be my EDC for a while to see how it goes.

Can't carry knife with a locking mechanism, so I carry a fixed blade. (Laws, job, and places I commute daily )
A cheapy Kabar TDI for jogging and a CRKT minimalist neck carry for everyday. Would rather have a locking folder though

Benchmade mini-grip, sog aegis and spyderco endura are some of my favorites.

ZT 0560BW
Benchmade HK Snody 14210
Benchmade HK Snody 14205S
Spyderco C19G Bob Terzuola
Kershaw Turbulence 1790
ESEE Candiru, Dark Star sheath

IMG_3895.jpg

Most of the time it's am Emerson CQC-7 (I think) but I have been toying around wearing a Boker Coye Ridgeback IWB and small of back. Both are comfortable and that ridgeback really is a great little knife.

Spyderco Tenacious. Great knife for the money and no worries if I lose it on duty. Izula II for a fixed blade when it applies.

+1 for the Tenacious, I use mine for work all the time without feeling guilty if I mess it up. Great value for around 30 bucks.

Zero Tolerance 0301. It really is a beast of a knife but it fits my hand so well. And with the weight of my duty loadout, I really don't notice it. Definitely not for everyone but it is a tank and has served me well.

Generally 2 knives at a time. Benchmade 943 tends to get most front pocket carry. Nice little blade, less "scary" than the others.

Benchmade: 943, 970 (CQC7 from when Emerson was a designer for them), 710, 910 Stryker, HK Axis (this year's release), 425 and 426 Snodys
Emerson: Commander BT, CQC10 SF, ETAK-A (One of these are normally my secondary carry)
Kershaw: Blackout
ZT: 0301
GEC: 72 slipjoint

My favorite right now is the paramilitary 2, primarily because I really like s30v. The others are a delica ,harpy and zt0200.
cd91be055c736145feca68291bd7c7b5_zps9cac5896.jpg

Here in the UK we have certain restrictions on whats allowed and under what circumstances. For my EDC 'legal' carry i.e. I can carry legally without 'good reason' I use the Spyderco UKPK or the Boker XS. For everyday cutting tasks these blades don't give up anything despite their size. However they are folders without a locking mech so have their restrictions.

1E74EE63-308A-4111-9AE7-9FF05243BA82.jpg

When I have 'good reason' such as out shooting / hunting, Mountain Rescue (on call 24/7 so really always have 'good reason') I carry anyone of the following: Kershaw Cyro (poor mans ZT Hinderer), Tenacious, Endura or Paramilitary II. I also have a couple of the Syderco rescue knives (rescue 93mm and Assist) which I keep on my harnesses.

75BB383B-B669-4351-9949-78C9E843D68E.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I have three (3) Benchmades on my person as I write this, from very small to a pretty fair size automatic bare of any markings.

At home I have three (3) of the big Pardue automatics, broke dick. Sent two of them back to the factory figuring the warranty would cover the (ab)use. Not so. Sent back still broke dick.

To me a knife is a tool and will see hard use. Things break. I've sent twenty year old Buck folding hunters back to Buck and had them come back rebuilt. Even sent a Zippo back that had been buried for years (because of the engraved unit ID) and it camee back like new.

Like a Benchmade, less than impressed with what th warranty is good for.

I got a couple sets made by Rival Designs and then sanded them down. Re-used the cut to make a mold for the back side and finished out a ZT with all Micarta. Love it!

CRKT Triumph Crawford Design, Emerson CQC-7BW, Boker Plus 1996, Spyderco Grasshopper

Current EDCs....sometime having one, is just not enough. BTW, thanks everyone, the wife just stole my Spyderco after the photo shoot ):

EDCs - CLOSED.jpgEDCs - OPEN.jpg

Attachments

• EDCs - OPEN.jpg
    EDCs - OPEN.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • EDCs - OPEN.jpg
    EDCs - OPEN.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I've been carrying a Spyderco Wayne Goddard Jr. model with green micarta handles for around 15 years.

The Para-Military 2 has started sharing duty with it lately.

Carry knife preferences

Zero Tolerance here too, the ZT0350ST is a awesome blade. I really like the spring assist opening. ZT just feels good in your hand. The down side is they are pricey.

Last edited:
A few of my pieces

Glock 17 Gen 4, Zev Tech trigger and components, Trijicon RMR, Surefire X300Ultra with tape switch
Emerson Karambit
Strider SMF with Beryllium Blade
Yarborough Green Beret Knife-I dont carry it but it was on the coffee table so I threw it in

A bit big and heavy at first but you get used to it. It is built like a brick shit house and has a solid lock up.

My EDC:

6u4y6ype.jpg

Last edited: