• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carry On Bag HELP

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
OK....I thought I was going cheap and really the only airline that suited my dates, non-stop and time was Spirit. So to bring a carry on bag for FREE, it needs to be the following dimensions 16x14x12"....if bigger there's a fee. I found the Maxpedition Typhoon to be within this size limits and something that I'd use for other purposes but was curious if anyone has any suggestions? THANKS!

Are you asking about whether you should buy that bag?

Depends entirely on if you want it and if it will hold what you want to bring. I usually over pack and more recently have been traveling with a single $10 gym bag which is half filled with medical crap I cannot live without.

There is a reason Spirit's tickets cost $99. They make ALL their money on ancillary fees. Wait till you hear the flight attendants try to sell the credit card sign ups. Supposedly for every credit card sign up they get, they get $50.

OK....to clarify. I will be checking a bag as I will be staying for 10 days. What I'm asking is if anyone can suggest a bag that fits the dimensions of 16"x14"x12"

How many airlines actually make you try and fit carry on luggage into the test box they show?

Spirit does, or might if your bag looks way over sized. Thats how they roll and like I said, how they make money.

I have used Spirit several times over the last 6 months and I worried about the exact same thing. After my initial flight, I realized that a lot of the passengers were carrying on bags that exceeded those dimensions and I didn't notice any bags being charged. Here is the list of Spirit flights that I have been on since the beginning of the year.

Denver--->Detroit (2X)
Detroit--->Denver
Denver--->Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale--->Denver

On my first flight with Spirit I decided to bring a larger bag and pay the checked bag fee in advance and it didn't cost too much. After that flight, I have used a mid sized backpack that is a larger dimension than listed and didn't have any issues. If you bringing something a little larger than I think you will be fine but if you bring something too big and it won't fit under the seat then they will have to charge you for it. Based on my travel, I haven't seen them push the issue too hard (unlike Allegiant Air) but I am waiting for that to change at some point in the near future.

I have also noticed that with most of the planes, they have reduced the distance between rows of seats, so you will be pretty uncomfortable if you are tall. It is definitely worth paying the extra $10 to get an emergency exit row, if available.

ive flown spirit to oakland and myrtle beach from las vegas and have not had issues with a carry on without fee. I usually carry a bag that fits their carry on not the personal bag and have never been charged. Also if your bigger swing for the front seats, they are captains chairs and well worth it!