• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

carry pistol for the tackle box

jjrgr21

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2011
VA
i frequently surf fish on remote beaches, and was thinking it would be good to have a saltwater worthy pistol to keep around. i've never had a revolver, actually i've only had sigs, glocks, and a ruger P89. a friend may have a line on a ruger sp-101 in 357.

the idea of this would be, just rinse it off and chuck it back in the truck.

any thoughts.

I really like my SP101. It's a little beefier than the J frame S&W, but that helps to tame the recoil with .357 loads. I think as long as you keep it on your body, the salt issue should respond fine to a rinse, dry, oil when you get home routine. You probably didn't mean it literally, but I don't think I would really store a firearm in a tackle box, SS or not.

not really in the box, more of. from the truck to the cooler to the truck.

I can't say anything bad about the SP101, I really wish I still had mine. But I think a Glock would respond well to similar treatment, infact most guns if cared for would be fine I'd say, just some more labor intensive than others.

C_K

I have been thinking about a good boat gun myself. But can't imagine anyone that would hold up to saltwater without a lot of attention from me. IE constant cleaning, rising, oiling on my part. Think the only way it will work for me is keeping it in some kind of pelican style case. I am interested to hear what people recommend for your application.

i have 2 glocks, but don't really love them. my favorite pistol is a 226. i thought about an AMT, but know nothing about them. and i want something small, and none of my pistols fit the bill. and i figure 357 mag is a one hit wonder, with a light PD load.

I have a SP101 2 1/4" barrel and I think it'll work just fine for what you have in mind.
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 357 Mag. is pretty potent medicine out of these revolvers.

Beware though! The springs in there are just as likely to rust up as the springs on any other gun and you'll
want to do a good detail strip once a month, atleast, to get things cleaned right.
It'll hold up to salt water conditions better than most but is not impervious to rusting.

It's pretty easy to tear down a SP101 and get to the springs. A good cleaning and oil job shouldn't
take more than half an hour when you have done it a time or two. Half an hour is assuming you
just want to get any salt/moisture out of the innards, cleaning the bore/cylinder after
a bunch of cheap, dirty ammo is going to take longer...

If that SP101 falls through you can look around for a deal on an older S&W Model 64.
Stainless revolver that is good to go with 38PLS+P and shouldn't cost much over 300 bucks, if that much.

A stainless Ruger is a good choice, I was gonna suggest a .327.
I carried a Charter Arms 3” .22 for over 10 yr In the tacklebox.

Maybe a cheap little derringer like a cobra big bore?

Last edited:
I have a SP101 2 1/4" barrel and I think it'll work just fine for what you have in mind.
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 357 Mag. is pretty potent medicine out of these revolvers.

Beware though! The springs in there are just as likely to rust up as the springs on any other gun and you'll
want to do a good detail strip once a month, atleast, to get things cleaned right.
It'll hold up to salt water conditions better than most but is not impervious to rusting.

It's pretty easy to tear down a SP101 and get to the springs. A good cleaning and oil job shouldn't
take more than half an hour when you have done it a time or two. Half an hour is assuming you
just want to get any salt/moisture out of the innards, cleaning the bore/cylinder after
a bunch of cheap, dirty ammo is going to take longer...

If that SP101 falls through you can look around for a deal on an older S&W Model 64.
Stainless revolver that is good to go with 38PLS+P and shouldn't cost much over 300 bucks, if that much.

nice, how much should i be looking at for the ruger ya think. new on GB they are right at 600

nice, how much should i be looking at for the ruger ya think. new on GB they are right at 600

I just looked around the net real quick and it looks like that's about average. If that works for you then go ahead with it.

If I were in your shoes I'd put in a request with all my local gun shops for a used one and give them a couple weeks to work on it.
I suspect there may be a few people trading in revolvers they don't "need" for an EBR they want more right now, time is on your side if you can afford to shop around...

The way I trip over and scatter tackle boxes keeping a gun in there is not even an option. I do like to fish, and I always have my gun, but its the same gun I always have. A J Frame (642) in my pocket.

If I fall in the water, which I have on more then once, when I get home I take the grips off, remove the side plate and flush out the gun with some sort of gun oil, wipe it off and stick it back in my pocket.

I like the idea for self defense of carrying the same gun, the same way in all my activities, from formal wear the outdoors. The J Frame is perfect for my methods of carrying.

the problem is with the local shops, they think everything is worth 20% more now than it was 6 months ago.

i think i can get this ruger for $400

SS will corrode, this is a myth, more than a simple rinse. I used blue wood gun hunting from boats for decades, no rust on mine.

Sand and dirt says wheel gun.

Firearm in a box, start fishing and such, next thing you are long way from the firearm, Casul on my chest in a rig, always with me and out of the way for chores, tasks and fishing.

The heavy framed Rugers are less likely to have unseated bullets jam on the forcing cone or jump timing with hot loads.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

"Technically, the new Titanium Tracker models should be considered an extension of the Total Titanium series. They employ the same total-titanium construction in every major part and component—frame, cylinder, yoke, barrel, studs, and pins. They offer the same advanced metallurgical and design features as the fixed-sight snubnose Total Titanium guns. And, like all other Taurus titanium-component models, the Trackers feature the key-activated Taurus Security System hammer lock. What’s different is the added benefit of a new-for-Taurus full-profile, integrally ported, four-inch titanium barrel design plus topstrap frame modifications to accommodate a heavy-duty, precision-adjustable rear sight, which, as I found out during my range testing, resulted in a surprisingly high level of accuracy.

Truly A Trailblazer
All Titanium Tracker models have titanium frames, sideplates, yokes, and barrels that are drop-forged in Taurus’s metallurgical facility outside Sao Paulo, Brazil. The titanium cylinders and titanium internal studs are CNC-machined from extruded titanium barstock. Taurus acknowledges that in spite of the Total Titanium label applied to the entire family of these guns, not every part is actually made of titanium. Instead, the company’s catalogs and promotional flyers note that the Total Titanium concept means “every component that can and should be made of titanium, is made of titanium.”

..."Accordingly, the hammer, trigger, cylinder latch, ejector rod, and some other small parts such as springs and sideplate screws on all of Taurus’ new titanium series revolvers are made from casehardened, high-tensile-strength chrome-moly steel, which is a better material than titanium for those particular parts."

..."unlike stainless steels or even aluminum—titanium is chemically inert and essentially impervious to corrosion. Even the best grade of stainless steel will eventually rust or corrode. Titanium will not—which is why it’s used for desalinization plant piping and for bone-replacement material for permanent implantation within the human body, among other things. "
Above from: Taurus Tracker - The First-Ever Total Titanium Field Gun - Page One

I'd say that a boat gun needs a lanyard. There are good ones that will breakaway if snagged at a certain level

The way I trip over and scatter tackle boxes keeping a gun in there is not even an option. I do like to fish, and I always have my gun, but its the same gun I always have. A J Frame (642) in my pocket.

If I fall in the water, which I have on more then once, when I get home I take the grips off, remove the side plate and flush out the gun with some sort of gun oil, wipe it off and stick it back in my pocket.

I like the idea for self defense of carrying the same gun, the same way in all my activities, from formal wear the outdoors. The J Frame is perfect for my methods of carrying.
I'm with Kraig on this one.

In a hurry, I've even just shot some WD40 into it after a dunking, followed by some light oil. WD40 (water displacement). Not the best solution but good in a pinch until you have time for a quick strip and clean.

And true, SS is not rust proof, but it does resist rust better.

in this environment,the best friend of your gun, stainless steel or not, will be BALLISTOL, anyway_
about the tackle box: how about a draw with a fish-hook under a fingernail or between cylinder&frame?
(Kraig here rule, in my opinion)

I have yet to see the polymer on a Glock rust. The aluminum/SS mix of the Sig will fair well too, just ask NSW what they chose (MK25). Maintain it well during and after the trip and you will be fine. I say stick with what you have and what you know, the best gun in any situation is the one on you, and the money you save can go towards bait!

Coatings work well too in the fight against corrosion.

all i have is a G17 and a G34, if i found a 19 i'd go for that.