• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Carry Sidearm Caliber Conversion (NO!)

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
I have seen a lot of talk about swamping barrels for conversions in a pistol.

<span style="color: #990000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Don't do this if you are going to carry the pistol for defense!</span></span>

The extractor for a 40S&W and 9mm are not the same!

I would not even mention or recommend this to someone new to shooting pistols and looking for advice. <span style="font-weight: bold">When you say you can change the caliber in the pistol with a conversion barrel, please explain that it should not be carried that way!</span> Ok for fun at the range only, please mention that if you talk about the conversion barrel. Someone new to shooting might not know that!

Rant Over LOL

Re: Carry Sidearm Caliber Conversion (NO!)

The difference between a Glock 22/31, 23/32 and 27/33 (40/357) is what has been engraved on the slide, and which barrel gets dropped in. Thats it. Either caliber may be swapped to the other with ZERO change in reliability. Many other pistols are fully interchangable between 40/357.

Other calibers are a different story. In Glocks, extractors can also be swapped to be "correct".

In general I agree with your sentiments, but disagree with the blanket statement "Don't do it, PERIOD".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference between a Glock 22/31, 23/32 and 27/33 (40/357) is what has been engraved on the slide, and which barrel gets dropped in. Thats it. Either caliber may be swapped to the other with ZERO change in reliability. Many other pistols are fully interchangable between 40/357.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Other calibers are a different story.</span> In Glocks, extractors can also be swapped to be "correct".

In general I agree with your sentiments, but disagree with the blanket statement "Don't do it, PERIOD". </div></div>

And I am referring to the common 40 to 9mm recommendation. Yes 357sig and 40 are interchangeable since the 357sig case is a necked down version of the 40.

No experianced LE Officer, Range Officer, or experienced civilian handgun enthusiast will recommend a caliber swap from the factory configuration for your carry pistol. It's ok for fun, but your asking for trouble in more than one way when it is your carry pistol.

The don't do it period statement is for carry only. It's ok for the range just for fun. I am stressing if you mention a caliber swap to someone, you should at least explain it is OK for the range only and not recommended it for carry.

The ejector is not the same for 9mm and .40, either.