• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carrying a side arm while recreating?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Curious how you guys carry side arms while out recreating. As I get ready for archery season I have been looking for a better way to carry. I usually just AIWB carry but it sucks when you are humping gear through the mountains all day.

I have a day pack with a waist belt and a chest pack with my binos/LRF. I prefer to keep the gun on me since I am one who will frequently drop my back to go crawl around in the bushes. My chest pack does not have room for a side arm. Razco does make a holster that will fit my chest back but it hangs the gun down below it which will put the gun right where my pack belt, pant belt, and waist all come together. It may work fine just seems like it would suck crawling.

I was looking at a Gun Fighter Kenai chest holster and wondering if I could run it underneath my bino pack but unsure how it would work having 2 stacked harness on under my day pack.

Liesure walk, AIWB. Dayhiking or overnighter, OWB/open carry. If I’m using hip belt on a pack, I chest rig carry.

The kenai chest rig works great. I did have to heat mine up to increase retention after a while, but over all comfortable and works with a backpack or without.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Pocket carry my micro 9 like always.

If I want to carry something larger a chest rig works well, lots of the folks going through the bush in AK seem to like chest rigs too. Easy access and doesn’t snag up on stuff as much

The kenai chest rig works great. I did have to heat mine up to increase retention after a while, but over all comfortable and works with a backpack or without.
do you use yours along with a chest pouch for binos?

I front pocket carry a micro 9, us usually a G43 or a P365, just like every day curry. In bear country, a G20 strong side.

Hill People make a nice chest pack that you can Velcro in a holster and it’ll hold a full size plus kit. Raises no attention at all. Not as quick as a Chest holster but close.

Kenai chest rig while backpacking, or FHF bino harness/chest rig combo while hunting.
Does your FHF harness have a built in holster or did you add the Razco holster?
I front pocket carry a micro 9, us usually a G43 or a P365, just like every day curry. In bear country, a G20 strong side.

Hill People make a nice chest pack that you can Velcro in a holster and it’ll hold a full size plus kit. Raises no attention at all. Not as quick as a Chest holster but close.

I actually really enjoy my hill people chest pack. It would not work with my binos the way I wanted so now that my binos are on my chest I have lost that realestate.

Does your FHF harness have a built in holster or did you add the Razco holster?

I actually really enjoy my hill people chest pack. It would not work with my binos the way I wanted so now that my binos are on my chest I have lost that realestate.

I have the Razco.

I carry on my pack belt most of the time. Have a couple options to toss on the belt, either a paddle or a belt mount. Using the g-code RTI system.

I chose this over the Razco due to my size. I wear my bino harness pretty high, but have a short torso, so not a lot of room below the AGC Cub and my pack belt.

I carry on my pack belt most of the time. Have a couple options to toss on the belt, either a paddle or a belt mount. Using the g-code RTI system.

I chose this over the Razco due to my size. I wear my bino harness pretty high, but have a short torso, so not a lot of room below the AGC Cub and my pack belt.
Yeah I don't think there's enough room below my bino harness and above my pack belt either. There may be it just doesn't seem comfortable. I'm thinking I will see if I can get the Gun Fighter Kenai to work behind my bino harness..
Whenever I am trying to re-create, I'm usually nekkid.
You dont even wear your snorkel?

to me it boils down to what im wearing the pistol for

if its for immediate use/protection like Alaska...its more important than the bino's so the binos loose out on the chest position

if its for crawling through brush once in a while and your dropping your pack...then you can retrieve the pistol then anyway

I’ve been using a cheap Serpa on my waist belt for my Glock 29 for like 5 years now. No issues.
I looked into the bino harness setup but didn’t care for the angle of carry, would be constantly sweeping friends.

Reactions: flyfisher117
Also it's a matter of individual taste but some of the HPG rigs can get pretty large. I go for the 'snubby' kit bag which is more compact and holds anything up to about a G19 size. Which works in my AO, but obviously wouldn't cut it for Alaska.

to me it boils down to what im wearing the pistol for

if its for immediate use/protection like Alaska...its more important than the bino's so the binos loose out on the chest position

if its for crawling through brush once in a while and your dropping your pack...then you can retrieve the pistol then anyway
I'm in a variety of country. Some areas the most dangerous critter is a tree hugger. Others its Grizzly bears.

Reactions: brianf
have you given any thought to a "low ride" holster?

safariland-holster-mod-01.jpg

will position your sidearm on your upper thigh, giving you clearance for your waist strap

have you given any thought to a "low ride" holster?

safariland-holster-mod-01.jpg

will position your sidearm on your upper thigh, giving you clearance for your waist strap
I have considered it. I've already got a few holster set up for the Safariland QLS so I could just buy another drop belt slide and qls reciever and be ready to roll.

not sure what your hunting pack weighs and that drop leg set up doesnt work for me after a short time with my pack on, even for day hunts.

Look at the Kenai under your binos. Seems best if it works

My buddy has the Kenai, will ask him to try it and see how it goes.
i think your pistol draw might be impeded.
Im busy today, but will try it and get pics in next few days.

Other buddy has the Razco. Not sure if he has practiced with the set up or not.

I very rarely carry while recreating - don't see the point. Occasionally if I'm fly-fishing in an area with a lot of brown bear I carry my Ruger Alaskan 454 in a chest rig. Carries comfortably given the weight and is instantly accessible. If out on a multi week backpack trip its way too heavy as all my gear combined (before food and water) is around 8 lbs. and where I go out west I just don't see any big threats. Are you in an area where you really NEED to carry a sidearm?

I very rarely carry while recreating - don't see the point. Occasionally if I'm fly-fishing in an area with a lot of brown bear I carry my Ruger Alaskan 454 in a chest rig. Carries comfortably given the weight and is instantly accessible. If out on a multi week backpack trip its way too heavy as all my gear combined (before food and water) is around 8 lbs. and where I go out west I just don't see any big threats. Are you in an area where you really NEED to carry a sidearm?
Again. Some areas no it's not not necessary. Other areas it's probably not necessary but it's nice to have as an option. If I'm going to be up to my elbows in an elk carcass in Grizzly country it's a nice option.

not sure what your hunting pack weighs and that drop leg set up doesnt work for me after a short time with my pack on, even for day hunts.

Look at the Kenai under your binos. Seems best if it works

My buddy has the Kenai, will ask him to try it and see how it goes.
i think your pistol draw might be impeded.
Im busy today, but will try it and get pics in next few days.

Other buddy has the Razco. Not sure if he has practiced with the set up or not.
Mostly a solo day hunter so weight isn't crazy.

Was it the weight on your hip or just the placement you had issues with?

Thanks yeah the draw under neath the bino pack and between shoulder straps with the Kenai may be an issue.

Thats with a day pack for a good long day in the mtns.
just didnt work. My pack rides just above where I wear my pants and the bottom of the pack belt rubbed and put pressure on it.
pack is probably 16 lbs minus rifle

will check out other later

You can't beat a snubby in your front pocket . Buffalo Bore even makes a special .38 round now just for short 2" barrels . It's wicked . Anything else will be in the way or too heavy

Reactions: teslawasframed
Kifaru Koala chest pack. Not as nice (quick) as a Gunfighters Inc. Kenai chest holster or a Mangear Ultimate chest holster, but found I wanted a little more protection from the elements and/or discrete carry options.
Not sure if Kifaru still produces the Koala chest pack, but they sometimes come up for sale used.

Curious how you guys carry side arms while out recreating. As I get ready for archery season I have been looking for a better way to carry. I usually just AIWB carry but it sucks when you are humping gear through the mountains all day.

I have a day pack with a waist belt and a chest pack with my binos/LRF. I prefer to keep the gun on me since I am one who will frequently drop my back to go crawl around in the bushes. My chest pack does not have room for a side arm. Razco does make a holster that will fit my chest back but it hangs the gun down below it which will put the gun right where my pack belt, pant belt, and waist all come together. It may work fine just seems like it would suck crawling.

I was looking at a Gun Fighter Kenai chest holster and wondering if I could run it underneath my bino pack but unsure how it would work having 2 stacked harness on under my day pack.
Check out the Gunfighter chest rig.

I’ve tried both on my belt with a safariland drop leg holster. The plastic is uncomfortable under my pack belt, and if you mount it to pack belt it is a pain to transfer to regular belt. Leaving it on pack belt is a no go. So, after a few frustrating backpacking trips I switched to kenai chest rig. Never looked back. Never even get a second glance when up in Alaska. Lower 48 depends on where you are backpacking.

Glock 45 9mm in the zip up pocket of my CamelBak Ambush if I'm just walking/running on a trail for a few miles.

Screenshot_20210812-160400_Chrome.jpg

Came in handy once while on a trail when a Big Horned Sheep was eyeballing me like owed him some money. Didn't shoot 'em, but glad I had the means to if things went sideways.

If I'm for real out and about in the desert, or whatever, open carry Safariland low-ride SLS or ALS/SLS with my CZ P07/P09.

You can't beat a snubby in your front pocket . Buffalo Bore even makes a special .38 round now just for short 2" barrels . It's wicked . Anything else will be in the way or too heavy
The boss says no more guns for a bit.. the G20 will have to suffice for now ha.
I’ve tried both on my belt with a safariland drop leg holster. The plastic is uncomfortable under my pack belt, and if you mount it to pack belt it is a pain to transfer to regular belt. Leaving it on pack belt is a no go. So, after a few frustrating backpacking trips I switched to kenai chest rig. Never looked back. Never even get a second glance when up in Alaska. Lower 48 depends on where you are backpacking.
Thanks. I ordered a Kenai chest holster. I'll give it a try this year and see how it goes.

Draw is easy.
holster is tight, but didnt want to monkey with adjusting straps.
once you have those adjusted so the Kenai doesnt slip around, pretty easy to set the bino rig and be good to go I think.

powdahound thats how i wear mine works well i think what helps is there is no retention device to disengage just grab the grip and go. i often wear mine with a jacket over the gun with the bino pack on the outside, rides the same you just need to leave the zipper down a bit and the grip sticks out like your showing it now.

Draw is easy.
holster is tight, but didnt want to monkey with adjusting straps.
once you have those adjusted so the Kenai doesnt slip around, pretty easy to set the bino rig and be good to go I think.
Awesome thank you. I got my Kenai rig on order I'll see how it goes. After this weekend I may be changing bino harness brands too so not being locked in with a dedicated harness and holster combo is nice.

I guess we will give it a go this weekend. So far the Kenai holster doesn't work well under the T&K harness. I think it's more the T&K harness having issues fitting me and my body than anything.

I am digging the Kenai holster though. Still fiddling with it and getting it dialed in but works quite well.

Attachments

• 20210831_181417.jpg
    20210831_181417.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 92
Pocket carry Kahr BLACK PM45 , the girls at the Grandview Gentlemen's Club Pa. always tell me they can't believe how hard i get.

Anything other than a snubby in your front pocket is a huge pain . I ALWAYS carry when I'm hunting , fishing , mushroom hunting you name it . My two carry guns for these activities are a SW 637 airweight in .38 and my all Times favorite SW 351 Pd airweight .22 magnum . There are some darn stiff loads for the short barreled .38s now. They are legit bear cartridges.
but the 7 shot .22 mag loaded with gold dots is my favorite by wide margins . It's 11 oz. any holster or rig is just in the way , noisy , gets too heavy , ect .
snubby in your pocket for the win !!

Reactions: Austan
The G43 fits behind my Geovids in the sitka bino pack. If the geovids weren't so damn big it would be fine. It is a bit of a PIA to get the binos in and out for quick looks. If I am going to be glassing a lot I'll put the g43 on the hip belt of the pack, in a pocket or just in the pack if its a low risk area.