• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Carrying out the Elk...

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    All, hoping to get our first elk this year, and am looking for suggestions on methods for packing out the meat. We likely will be a bit from any road, and we hike, don't use an ATV. Will by my 13 120lb son and I. We plan to debone, so will be a bit less heavy - so any suggestions on method of transport I would appreciate.

Not "Get an ATV" though, that's not going to happen for us. By the way, were hunting in CO.

Re: Carrying out the Elk...

When I hunted way back in I always carried a frying pan and ate it there....
    Really.... you need an exterior framed pack.meat sacks/pillow cases,parachute string,stone to resharpen knives,gerber folding saw.plenty of water to drink.rope to hang high what you can`t get out in 1 day....No more than 50# on the pack.... otherwise injuries are more prone.....
    OMHO

bill larson

We used a one-wheeled cart this year. Two sets of handles, and two brakes on one wheel. Worked great.
    We were in Oregon, so you can use a radio (I understand you aren't supposed to use a radio in come states??), and when one guy shot an elk, he called for the rest of us to come help. By the time we got there, he had the elk about half done (gutted, skinned and boned out). We took turns hauling the cart, about a half mile to the trail head, and truck.
    It can be used by one or two guys.
    This is it: http://www.carryallbuddy.net/

Make sure to get yourself some good game bags to keep the meat clean from flies, dirt, grass etc. They're cheap and washable.

If you decide to pack it out on your back, make sure you get some training in before the trip. Carrying 50+ pounds can impact you greatly if you aren't conditioned to it.

All good info here. Just remember, a bull is 5 man trips minimum on your back. Put too much on too far away and you might not go back for the rest. If that happens you better have stored whats there appropriately for your return.

I would try to find someone who will rent you a horse or will come with a horse get it for you. With the new rules out there, one of the guys we hunt with rented a horse last year. Going to do it again this year. Made life much easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eberlestock Dragonfly or Just One and a meat bag. They'll hold more meat than you want to ruck for very far. The cart looks good depending on terrain and distance.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Just%20One.htm
    http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm
    </div></div>

go in lite come out heavy right

Something else to consider is a Jet Sled. Sportsmans and Cabelas carries them. Durable plasic with a good rope handle. Steep downhill country you really need a good brakeman (dude in the back). A boned out cow in meat bags will fit in the large sled. make sure you lash it down well if you have any side hills to take on. Haven't been along on a bull hunt with one yet, you might need two trips. I prefer the sled over the cart, especially if you are in snow.

Don't forget to post the pics after you whack one!

I'd say a good pack mule. They're more sure footed then a horse.

Either that or just bring a loaf of bread with.
    wink.gif

xdeano

Glad to hear you earn it the hard way, thats elk hunting, i would look at frame pack called bullpacs. It is a well made pac, and will haul tons of meat comforably. U will not be dissaponted.they are about 189 i think., check em out

I live in Colorado, I hunt in Colorado and to me there is "Just One" pack to use. Pun intended. I always have brought up frame packs stripped down to just the frame for hauling out meat. It just doesn't make sense. I've used my Eberlestock Just One pack for 4 yrs now and it is the best pack I've ever owned. From Archery to Rifle it is the most versatile, comfortable, expandable pack I've owned. With that being said, invest in a good game cart. When hauling out meat in a pack you never really want to take off the pack and "rest" but with a cart if you get tired or need a breather you just stop. You can get out more meat quicker, if terrain allows. I got my Bull opening morning of Archery. The pack carried my bow and all the other crap, cart carried the elk.