• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cartridge cook off and damage?

everyreggie

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
I store all of my ammunition in my 7 gauge steel safe (its a big safe). After the neighbors house burnt down recently I started wondering what would happen to all that ammo if my house were to burn down.
So I ask the hide members....at what temp would the rounds in a gunsafe cook off, and would rounds like a .223, .45 or 30-06 punch through the steel if they are stored in ammo cans? Again not stored loaded in a weapon just in boxes. -Thanks

Re: Cartridge cook off and damage?

They just pop like popcorn.
I know they won't go through the side a a metal 55 gallon drum.
A lot together in a confined area might be a problem though.

The bullet will pop out and you may see rupture of the case at or near the neck. I don't know what temp the cookoff happens but if you test it be aware the case rupture can send frags and the bullet will go a little way. I wouldn't try it in your wifes oven in other words. Maybe a BarBQ grill.

Will they penetrate the outer siding of a a trailer? If so the rest of the trailer park could be in for a big surprise if my trailer caught on fire.

When I was a kid I burned some trash that had empty shotgun shells in it. Unbeknown to me was that there was some live rounds too. I was about 50 feet away when the shells starting cooking off. Just heard a big whoosh when the powder burned but when the primer popped it nearly went thru the trash barrel. Kinda looked like someone shot the barrel with .22 shorts. I'd be more worried about the primers than the bullets.

I had a 22 shell pop, non-fire related, and stick me with a piece of shrapnel, when I was a kid. Went in the bone a little bit, but it was a sharp triangular piece. My mom took a 22 projectile to the chest that popped in a burn-pile. No skin penetration.
I don't have any experience with centerfire rifle ammo though.
CW

They won't penetrate much of anything. I've been in house fires and had the stuff start cooking off in the same room. The only ones that I'm really concerned with are any that may be in the tube. While inside I've had them hit my helmet and turnout gear. They are really just a big attention grabber.

OT, but a guy I know, when he was 8 or so, he put a loaded cartridge (think it was a shotgun shell, but it might have been a rifle cartridge) in the fork of a tree. Stood back x distance and shot it with a bb gun, empty case came back, hit him in the eye and now he only has one eye.

So the saying "you'll shoot your eye out" is somewhat true, I guess.

Steel cased 7.62 Russian is potentially lethal when burned in a trash fire. It will penetrate the fender of a Duce and a half.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OT, but a guy I know, when he was 8 or so, he put a loaded cartridge (think it was a shotgun shell, but it might have been a rifle cartridge) in the fork of a tree. Stood back x distance and shot it with a bb gun, empty case came back, hit him in the eye and now he only has one eye.

So the saying "you'll shoot your eye out" is somewhat true, I guess. </div></div>

That just doesn't sound quite right, I'm betting he lost his eye in a far more embarrassing manner and came up with this story as a cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel cased 7.62 Russian is potentially lethal when burned in a trash fire. It will penetrate the fender of a Duce and a half. </div></div>

Steel cased. was the ammo also steel jacketed?

Without a chamber and a bolt to hold things together not much happens. The bullet kinda just pops out the case.
The primer does more damage.
We had some military tents burn down once. Ammo in thin steel trommels or bedside cabinets simply popped away. In fact aersosol deodrant cans did more damage then the ammo.

Likely was steel core<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel cased 7.62 Russian is potentially lethal when burned in a trash fire. It will penetrate the fender of a Duce and a half. </div></div>

Steel cased. was the ammo also steel jacketed? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Likely was steel core<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steel cased 7.62 Russian is potentially lethal when burned in a trash fire. It will penetrate the fender of a Duce and a half. </div></div>

Steel cased. was the ammo also steel jacketed? </div></div> </div></div>

Sorry. that's what I meant. Too many winter ales were consumed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mythbusters did an episode on it. See if you can find it on Netflix.</div></div>

+1

Ammo in a house fire doesn't bother me much unless it's in a chamber, just sounds and acts like fireworks......a can of hairspray however will make a believer out of you !

Don't try this at home. A 22 live round resting on the +and- terminals of a 9volt battery will go bang. I have never done this mind you,just something i picked up in conversation. MM

+1 on the big bang, I have seen several rounds get thrown in the burn barrel, no big deal as long as they don't go off in a chamber