• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carvana: Experiences?

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Starting to narrow my focus on a used pickemuptruk purchase and ran across these guys wondering if any Pitters have used them. Thanks

I work with a guy that was a mechanic for them in the DFW area. He said mechanical integrity takes a back seat to cosmetics. I’d be careful.

Read the fine print before you sign. That's where the warning flags will pop up.

help me out, are you asking about the carvana that sells cars and you are looking for a truck? or is there a carvana pickup truck?
    i quick googled it, but only saw the dealership thing

Three things you NEVER buy online: cars,houses and wives!. The three biggest financial decisions most will make in their lives. I work car auctions for a living. Your best deal aint Carmax or Carvana. I gave that first piece of advice to a youngster working his first auction and was beside himself. Said he prefered to buy online. His dad or brother with him about fell out!

No way in hell I would buy a vehicle, especially a used one, without being able to drive it and go over it myself before committing or signing anything.

help me out, are you asking about the carvana that sells cars and you are looking for a truck? or is there a carvana pickup truck?
    i quick googled it, but only saw the dealership thing
    Yea I was looking at used online through every search engine I could find and Carvana is another used outfit who also lists with autotrader, cargurus etc. The 7 day/400 miles return policy was what caught my eye in addition to not selling any CarFax accident reported vehicles.

I want to expand on this a bit. I have been buying cars for twenty years, mostly for new car dealer's used inventories. I look at tens of thousands of cars a year (literally) to buy a couple thousand. Carvana has never seen the cars they buy. It is all done buy computer. On top of that they have lost hundreds of millions of dollars of investor money since they started. They are publicly traded so you can look it up. Carmax does do their homework and looks at the cars, but they will sometimes buy what I consider sub-standard cars. Neither of these companies, plus Vroom, will never have the best price as they will pay more than most dealers to get the unit. if I outbid Carmax it scares me, but sometimes I have to. As for Carfax and Autocheck, don't believe everything you read or see. I don't buy units with a "bad vehicle history report" either, but only due to public perception and being hard to sell. Many times I have seen one or the other agency report an accident and not the other. Data is taken from various sources, and not all report, to compile the report. The accident severity is something that has been added recently but the data comes from the police accident report. These guys are good at their job but they are not body shop experts. Bumper covers damaged or knocked off may look severe to some but it is just relatively minor damage in most cases. Every car that I personally I own is a "story car". I bought my 2012 Taurus road car with 14k on it (unibody damage call) and it has 226k now with no issues. Point being, like most things internet, take them with a grain of salt. Man up and support your local dealer. Most all franchise and a great many independents are good guys trying to make a living, the big corporate stores not so much. Additionally, right now we are experiencing the highest used prices in years and new may even be a better option if you are making payments. If you write a check you can save a bit but the dealer wont like it! Manheim Auctions reported in excess of 500k units in inventory in March and that is down to under 200k nation wide and that number is expected to remain steady or drop over the next few months. Supply and demand, econ 101. YMMV

CR

good points thanks. yea i'm looking at the prices and realizing my timing is bad....will just wait until some sanity hopefully comes back. was trying to get dad into my 4runner, but we are in a want not a need scenario. thanks for the details that was good stuff