• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case Lube Recommendation Needed

kwak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
MI
I am loading 308 in a FL RCBS Die and the cases are sticking.

I have tried, Imperial Wax, Redding Case Lube pad, and Hornady NH Spray.

The cases have been cleaned and I just don't know what to do. This has never happened in 40 years of reloading.

Last case was stuck so bad I broke 3 bolts before I got it free.

Re: Case Lube Recommendation Needed

cases getting stuck in your rifle or in the reloading press?

That is amazing. did the cases that worked mesure to spec's?
I had undersized dies from rcbs last year and they stiffed me when I asked them to make them good.

Get a new die.

Thanks for your replies.

The cases are all within specs.

When I sprayed the cases some went down the necks. The expander ball is about 1/4-3/8in above the base of the die. It does not stick at this point.

I have used these dies for years but not recently and never had a stuck case.

Does the temperature have any effect on the process? The press and brass are about 45 degrees as my shop is in the garage. I do bring the lube and brass in the house to dry but the imperial wax I put on by hand.

I just can't figure this one out yet but I do not think a new die will solve the problem.

Just a thought but what cases are we dealing with?

Wouldn't be once fired surplus would it?

First thing I would do is really inspect my die closely. If it sat for a while, it may need a good cleaning. If you are getting reasonable sizing results with some cases and not others that is sure curious, but when it is an intermittent issue like that, you have to elimninate the variable, which in this case would be the... case--no pun intended. Like others, I would be curious as to what brass this is....I would start by cleaning the heck out of my die, and setting up like from scratch, making sure I didn't have the die crimping the neck real agressively or what not.

good luck on figuring it out!

Clean the die.....thoroughly.

+1 on cleaning... if it worked before and now it doesnt, either something has changed with the die settings or the die has rusted up inside