• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Case triming

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Is there a cheaper way to trim your brass with out buying a $75 case trimmer?

I'm flat broke after buying everything else for reloading and spending around $70 average price for a case trimmer seems unnecessary.

Re: Case triming

Get a Wilson L.E.Wilson Case Trimmer

There isn't a better one made. The only problem is that you have to buy seperate Shell holders for different cartridges (some cartridges within a certain family use the same shellholder). Wilson Shellholders

There are alot of upgrades available for them also. Wilson Accessories from Sinclair

Looks like Midway could get you up and running for about $46.00 + shipping right now. A good trimmer is a must.

You can get the Possum Hollow trimmer from Midway (others too)http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=127743 for $20.49 +shipping.

You didn't state caliber, so you will need to be caliber specific but each trimmer usually does several different calibers such as the one listed which does 17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 20 Practial, 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington, 222 Remington Magnum, 223 Remington.

You will also need the optional power adapter (sold separately, product# 295-771) to turn the unit into a powered trimmer when it is attached to an electric drill or drill press. It is $9 and change so you can get out for about $30+shipping on an adequate trimmer that should be fine unless you have to have the very best which will be lots more than $75.

Lee's case trimming system is inexpensive and works quite well.

You may not need a trimmer for a little while if you just bought everything and starting with new or once fired brass.

Depending on how much brass you have and how often you shoot. It may give your bank account a little time to recover before buying a trimmer.

Possum Hollows works very well. I used one for my .308 and one for 300WM under power for quite a while before getting my Gracey.

I reckon case trimming for any reason other than safety or to facilitate uniform length case neck turning is a waste of time. I used to slavishly do it but my gunsmith, who is a champion becnhrest guy said a couple of thou each way will make no difference - and it hasn't. Stopped about a year ago and I don't get much case stretch at all in the calibers I shoot (223, 308)

Well since I cant get around it. How is the Lyman AccuTrimmer Kit with 9 Pilots?? It comes with all the calibers I would need and it seems to be the most reasonable priced.

Also to answer your questions I'm shooting once fired 308 cases but all of them are measuring about to 2.015/13 around that range and the reloading book says trim to 2.005.

I have a total of 200 rounds of cheap factory 147g ammo but only 80 rounds fired through. I'm trying to get through them for the brass to reload for a little throw together tactical shooting competition coming up in about 2 months.

If your budget is really tight,the Lee trimmer can be had for about $10.00 set up in one caliber. They work well enough that some guys never buy anything else. pete

The Lyman Universal trimmer works great. No need to buy seperate shellholders because it has a universal chuckhead. Mine came in the kit with my first press, a Lyman TMag Turret press and I've used it for years to trim all sizes of brass. It is however $94 from Lyman.

I havent used the Lyman Accutrimmer but it is still $60 bucks. It appears from the picture to use something other than the universal chuckhead so you may have to use shellholders, I can't tell. Also looks like you would have to mount it on a bench to use.

I had some problems with my Lyman trimmer. The universal chuck has a spring loaded ball bearing that loads the bottom of the case head against the chuck. The ball kept popping out of its seat and I finally lost it successfully. When i called the Lyman folks, they told they'd take care of it for me for another $22.00...

The "Head" is apparently out of tolerance and needs to be replaced.

Also, I also had problems with a couple of the pilots, specifically the case mouths hanging up on them when inserting or removing them.

It now gathers dust since I was given a Forster case trimmer. I like it so much I bought a second (first one is dedicated to .30!)!

I remove the handle and chuck the spindle in a cordless drill on a cradle and fly through case trimming now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can pick up a RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer on ebay for under 70 bucks. I've seen them new for 50 on ebay. Plus, RCBS has a lifetime warranty. It's a great trimmer. Wait and buy it next month. </div></div>

Used RCBS equipment is the way to go IMO. Can't beat their warranty...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjm229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a Wilson L.E.Wilson Case Trimmer

There isn't a better one made. The only problem is that you have to buy seperate Shell holders for different cartridges (some cartridges within a certain family use the same shellholder). Wilson Shellholders

There are alot of upgrades available for them also. Wilson Accessories from Sinclair

Looks like Midway could get you up and running for about $46.00 + shipping right now. A good trimmer is a must. </div></div>

+1 - this is what I use and it's slightly tedious but works to perfection.

Ok if i had $75 to spend or in that range. What would be the best case trimmer to op for?

Im looking at getting a Forester case trimmer or a basic RCBS case trimmer.

What do you guys think about those?

Almost all reloading equipment has the same warranty, I would get a Forster trimmer right now and save up for there 3 way cutter upgrade, I normally would recommend a Wilson trimmer, but the 3 way cutter is a real time saver.

What is/does the 3 way upgrade look like/do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a cheaper way to trim your brass with out buying a $75 case trimmer?

I'm flat broke after buying everything else for reloading and spending around $70 average price for a case trimmer seems unnecessary. </div></div>

The best cheap trimmer that is fast accurate and easy to use it the one from Possum Hallow kwick Trim here is the link to it: http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/kwick-case-trimmers.html I can trim 100 cases of .223 in about 5 mins. You will however need the power tool adapter from them and a cordless drill or any drill for that matter. Super fast accurate and cheap. Accurate with in +/-.001
kwick-case-trimmer.jpg

Power tool adapter:
power-adapter.jpg

If any more hide members are interested in a quick way and cheap way to trim brass without buying a power trimmer I can post a review and how to of the Possum Hallow trimmer.