• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimmers

Re: Case trimmers

I really like the Lee trimmers with caliber specific pilots. Chuck the shell holder in an electric screwdriver and away you go.

Are you looking for a manual trimmer or a powered trimmer?

I've used the RCBS trimpro? with the 3way cutter for few years now. For hunting ammo, it trims and deburrs the case (after correct setup). All I have to do is prime and load. For target ammo, I go one step further and use a VLD chamfer to put more of a taper on the inside of the case mouth.

There are a lot of good trimmers out there, depends on how much you want to spend and how much brass you trim at a time.

It looks as if by the time you purchased the L.E. Wilson and the drill chuck adapter you'd be just shy of the Giraud. The Giraud is NICE! Unfortunately I don't think I can swing that right now. I may sit on this decision for a bit and see if I can't turn loose of some extra funds for the Giraud.

You can get the Lee one for one cartridge for $10. Then $5 for each one after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks as if by the time you purchased the L.E. Wilson and the drill chuck adapter you'd be just shy of the Giraud. The Giraud is NICE! Unfortunately I don't think I can swing that right now. I may sit on this decision for a bit and see if I can't turn loose of some extra funds for the Giraud. </div></div>

not quite:

Wilson trimmer sharkfin n stand $80
Case holder $11
Power adapter $15
total $105

Giraud $425

HMMM, the price I was looking at on L.E.'s site was $199. Must have been a different model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HMMM, the price I was looking at on L.E.'s site was $199. Must have been a different model.</div></div>

There are different models. For $199, you get a stainless steel micrometer attachment.

Look into the Redding 2400 Lathe. It turns the case not the cutter the way a real lathe is suppose to work. About $140 at Mid South

If this doesn't sell you on the Giraud I don't know what to tell you...

Start em' young I say
wink.gif
grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q11p5G58mA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q11p5G58mA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...950#Post2245950

treebasher, that is priceless, if i could only get my 6 and 7 year olds to master the Wilson I would be off to the races.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I WANT A GIRAUD!!!!</div></div>

Got mine for Christmas. What a time saver. I didn't time it, but 50 cases didn't take 10 minutes. That's trimmed, chamfered and deburred too.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I've got a manual Wilson if anyone is interested PM me an offer.</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">SPF</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I WANT A GIRAUD!!!! </div></div>

Get one!!! It is the best piece of reloading equipment Ive ever purchased!

cute video treebasher
laugh.gif
you must be proud

If you have the money and a love for awesome gadgets get a giruad.

For a manual trimmer, the LE wilson seems to be a favorite. I have one and love it. Not as fast as a giraud but probably offers more of a square cut.

Both are quality products

It kind of depends on what you are doing with it. But there are only two that I would recommend: Giraud and Dillon

If you are loading on a single stage, using flat base bullets, or large, magnum cartridges, Giraud is the way to go.

If you have a progressive press, are loading 308, 223, or any other standard size round with boat tailed bullets, the Dillon will save you tons of time.

You can just take once fired LC 762 or 556 brass out of the shipping box, lube them, run them through your Dillon 1050 with a trimmer (at about 1200 rounds per hour), and you have processed brass. Of course you still need to tumble and inspect it, but a HUGE ammount of time is saved.

Either way, they are both very high quality tools, and a good choice.

I originally bought the Giraud because I was shooting a LOT of 223 during prairie dog eradication adventures. After trimming 2000 rounds in an hour or so I started buying shell holders and cutter heads for all of my other calibers. Next to my press it is one of the most used tools that I own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HMMM, the price I was looking at on L.E.'s site was $199. Must have been a different model. </div></div>

You went to the manufactures web site, go to Sinclairs, they sell anything and everything you need for reloading, you'll find Wilson trimmers for a much better price, Wilson trimmers are what BR shooters use, simple easy repeatable like all there reloading tools, anybody who is recommending another hand crank trimmer is somebody who hasn't used one.

But the Giraud is the best piece of reloading gear a high volume shooter can buy.

#778327 - 10/02/08 05:27 PM Re: Which case trimmer? [Re: Smokin99]
skeetlee
Master Sergeant

Loc: Central Illinois
I reload for the out most accuracy possible! I have found that the wilson trimmer is very much a presion tool. All the other trimmers i have used do get the job done and in a hurry, but they dont cut square. The giraud i had was fast but definatly not square, Maybe i had a bad one but i dought it. Lee

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

I've said it before and don't mind saying it agian. The Giraud is worth every penny. Its worth the wait to have one, its a great piece of kit for reloading. So save up you want regret it.

I have been looking at the dillon. Looks like it will cost more for different calabers, but would be pretty quick.

What I love about my Wilson (as much as the power adapter) is the primer pocket reamers. They are the best primer pocket crimp removal tool I've tried. No over cutting, and they leave a nice radiused edge on the pocket. The primers glide in afterwards. This is most obvious on my .50BMG cases. I now use the Wilson on all of my ammo. YMMV.

+1 on the Wilson Primer Pocket Uniformer. I chuck mine into an electric right-angle drill and then Uniform away s-l-o-w-l-y. Outstanding cut depth and no way to over-cut. Dials in primer pockets on my 270WSM and 300WM brass.

Also a perfect method to remove carbon compounds from pocket AFTER decapping spent primer and BEFORE brass cleaning.

I have a Giraud, and it will damn sure do a lot of cases in a hurry. It cuts pretty square, you just press it in, rotate it 180 and press it in again. It is a PITA to adjust the cutter when changing calibers. Changing caseholders is also a PITA, there is no way to HOLD your index when you change, although I mark mine with a Sharpie, and get real close most times.....it gets pricey buying cutterheads set up for each caliber, but that's the way to go if it isn't to costly to you, I think they are about $30 a piece, so not too bad.

I like my Giraud, but I only use it if it's already set up for the caliber I'm working with, or I got a BUNCH to do. I'm not sure about it, but I think prices may have actually come DOWN since I bought mine, but I know they haven't gone up much if any last time I looked at Dougs site (couple months ago) and Doug is a great guy.

If you aren't doing a bunch of volume, I'd look hard at the Wilson, and believe it or not, even think about the LEE handheld ball trimmer/cutter with the appropriate studs, and the 3 Jaw chuck that goes in your drill, I can trim pretty fast, and really accurate that way too! When I go the LEE style, I trim in a few seconds, and then sping the case against the chamfer and deburr tool, takes about 8-9 seconds a case, slower than my Giraud, but for a smaller amount of cases--100 or less I'd guess, if you count having to set up a new caseholder and adjust the cutter head, it's probably quicker...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Giraud, and it will damn sure do a lot of cases in a hurry. It cuts pretty square, you just press it in, rotate it 180 and press it in again. It is a PITA to adjust the cutter when changing calibers. Changing caseholders is also a PITA, there is no way to HOLD your index when you change, although I mark mine with a Sharpie, and get real close most times.....it gets pricey buying cutterheads set up for each caliber, but that's the way to go if it isn't to costly to you, I think they are about $30 a piece, so not too bad.

I like my Giraud, but I only use it if it's already set up for the caliber I'm working with, or I got a BUNCH to do. I'm not sure about it, but I think prices may have actually come DOWN since I bought mine, but I know they haven't gone up much if any last time I looked at Dougs site (couple months ago) and Doug is a great guy.

If you aren't doing a bunch of volume, I'd look hard at the Wilson, and believe it or not, even think about the LEE handheld ball trimmer/cutter with the appropriate studs, and the 3 Jaw chuck that goes in your drill, I can trim pretty fast, and really accurate that way too! When I go the LEE style, I trim in a few seconds, and then sping the case against the chamfer and deburr tool, takes about 8-9 seconds a case, slower than my Giraud, but for a smaller amount of cases--100 or less I'd guess, if you count having to set up a new caseholder and adjust the cutter head, it's probably quicker... </div></div>

Get the Hornady locking rings and adjust your shellholder to the desired cutting depth and lock'er down. Now you will have a repeatable cutting depth everytime you change calibers.

423110_M1.jpg

Also the interchangable cutting heads take like 5 mins to change out. Yeah, they cost a little bit, but are woth the hassle of not having to adjust them. I can swap out calibers in something like 6-9 mins or less with no adjustments and have it trim to exactly the same legth as the previous time.

Damn it Notso, that is just too simple!! Forest for the trees I suppose--I wonder why Doug has never suggested that--I've got over 1k in my Giraud and the various caseholders I have, and now with that tip, I'll be buying a cutter head for each caliber--which I had resisted so far....great help brother--

Thanks! I've got some of those in the shop, I'm gonna go down and fool with my Giraud right now!

No, those Redding rings are not the same for this application. The set screw impinges directly on the threads and messes them up. Once you have screwed that down into the threads, making fine adjustments is difficult because the set screw tries to force itself back into the previously deformed threads that were only a few thousandths longer or shorter than the length you are now trying to get to. Use the Forester or Hornady lock rings that clamp around the threads, not the RCBS or Redding that screw into the threads.

For hardened tool steel dies, like a common resizing die, the set screw makes little difference, but my case holders are stainless steel and not hardened. Deforming the threads leads to galling, the die ring seizing on the case holder, and unhappy customers.......

I don't push those lock rings when customers purchase the trimmer because most reloaders have multiple die sets that aren't being used and they can take them off the unused dies. If I push the locking rings, some folks think I am trying to high pressure pitch to them and make them buy something they feel they don't need. So I have them, and if somebody asks about them, I mention that, but I don't force the issue.

Doug Giraud
Giraud Tool Company, Inc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhg2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't push those lock rings when customers purchase the trimmer because most reloaders have multiple die sets that aren't being used and they can take them off the unused dies. If I push the locking rings, some folks think I am trying to high pressure pitch to them and make them buy something they feel they don't need. So I have them, and if somebody asks about them, I mention that, but I don't force the issue.

Doug Giraud
Giraud Tool Company, Inc. </div></div>
Doug, you should include those rings with the trimmer or at the least offer it as an option. I had never heard of that option when i purchased your trimmer and the "current locking" method included made me scratch my head as to why was it was so Mickey mouse compared to the awesome design of the rest of the trimmer. It honestly was the worst part about the design and I went through probably 20 pieces of brass to get it just right every time I changed shell holders. The Hornady locking rings are the greatest thing since sliced bread (after your trimmer, of course) and are only like $2 each and it would have saved me $9 postage when I ordered them. I would suggest just bumping your price by two bucks and just include that as STD equipment.

Love your trimmer, hate your locking ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manual-LE Wilson

Power-Giraud </div></div>

He's right!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this doesn't sell you on the Giraud I don't know what to tell you...

Start em' young I say
wink.gif
grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q11p5G58mA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q11p5G58mA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...950#Post2245950

</div></div>

Damn thats genius!!!! ........ if I wear diapers when reloading I can totally save time by not getting up to take a shit.

Oh yeah and +1 for the Giraud trimmer in the end the cost is nothing compared to the time saved.