• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Case trimming advice

Das Capitolin

Target + Tactical
Minuteman
May 14, 2011
Northern Nevada
gunwarrior.com
I've got a large collection of once-fired brass for 9mm, .40 S&W, and 5.56 NATO (reloading into .223). Although I can probably get away with reloading these cases a few times before trimming will be necessary, I know that the day is coming.

I presently reload using Lee single/turret presses, and already have the proper case length gauges and shell holders for each caliber. If I've done my research correctly, then all that remains is the actual case trimmer. It would be great to have the more experienced reloaders offers some advice on the most economical device for the purpose. Thank you in advance!

Re: Case trimming advice

I have never trimmed pistol cases and never will, so cant help you there. for 223, there is only one real solution if you plan on doing more than say 100. That solution is the king of all trimmers, the GIRAUD. Buy one, cry once, be happy every time you trim. :)

John

I'm sure the GTC Trimmer is the most ideal solution, but for $450+, it should be. Since I don't expect to trim very often (400-600/year), it might be a bit too much.

Some have also told me that the Lee press will allow for trimming, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

if you dont want the easy way, then get a Wilson. Probably the best hand trimmer out there and not ridiculously priced.

I use an RCBS Trim Pro manual. The Wilson has a very good reputation and some people claim to have issues with their RCBS ones not cutting squarely. I've never had the issue. One upside to the RCBS trim pro is the ability to use a 3-way cutter head on it. I'm not sure if any other brands have something like this, but it allows you to manually do the same thing the giraud does (trims, chamfers and deburrs at the same time).

I use a Giraud, best money I ever spent on reloading gear.

If you don't/can't spend the money a Giraud cost buy a Wilson Trimmer with a Sinclair base, and a "fired" .223 shell holder, it is simply the best hand crank you can buy, and it's priced very well compared to other trimmers, be warned it is raw steel so it will rust if prevention steps are not done.

Pistol brass does not require trimming, so don't even think about that.

It looks like I'll probably just use this item: https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/CUTTER-and-LOCK-STUD.html

It came with the Lee Anniversary kit, and if it seems like too much of a chore I always can upgrade from there without much money wasted.

I've got a digital caliper and the case gauges/shell holders, so I should be set... until this isn't good enough.

I like the Wilson and Giraud systems, but I just don't see myself trimming much more than 400-600 cases of .223 per year (probably closer to 200-300/year). I've got to do my first batch of trimmed brass tonight, so we'll soon see how much I dislike the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Giraud, best money I ever spent on reloading gear.
</div></div>

+10000. It saves a ton of time and it's worth every penny.

Well I'll chime in here. I've always used the RCBS Trim Die that you run the case up into and if the case protrudes above the hardened steel surface, you shave it off with a file. Then chamfer with a Wilson tool.

The gripping case holders of the Forster type hand lathes can vary how it holds depending on the shape of the rim of the case and sometimes they won't grab the case at all. For me it has caused a variation in trimmed length not to mention its slow. The Lee trimmer type depends on the depth of the case for reference and we know that web thickness varies between brands which has to effect trimmed length.

The RCBS is idiot proof as the distance between the back of the case to the newly trimmed case mouth is constant.

It acts as a sizer die too but does not squeeze the necks way down. If you're lucky like mine for the .223, it will size it just enough to hold the bullet without use of an expander ball.

I trim every time.

Sherlok

Lee trimmers are foolproof and fast, just chuck the shellholder in a hand drill.... after trimming, hit the ID and OD with a deburring tool while still chucked up.

Not as fast as the Girard type, but they only cost a few bucks each.

I have a Gracy Power Trimmer in .223
http://www.matchprep.com/trimmer.htm
It does a great job, pretty much the same as the Giraud, at about half the price, but it's pretty much calibre specific. You can swich calibres, but it's a P.I.T.A. If you only plan to load .223 it might be a good option for you, but if you ever intend to load multiple calibres in any volume, go ahead and get a Giraud. I probably shoot 400-600 rounds a month, so it's definately worth it for me. Of course at the volume you're talking about, you'd probably be fine with a manual case trimmer. My old Lyman does a pretty good job. I still use it to trim odd calibre's that I'll only be loading in small volume.

5816878645_2bcc7fa04d_z.jpg