• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

case trimming question.

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
I have always used a forester case trimmer but its time for an upgrade with all the new power trimmers on the market. I picked up a WFT trimmer a few weeks back and while they do work they are pretty inconsistent from what I have found. I formed 1000 300 blackout and they all fell either 1.65 or 1.362 a bit of a spread for my liking. I have checked headspace and they are consistent there. same to be said with 223 although it is more consistent my question is are there high volume trimmer that are more consistent and forgiving that the wfT?? was looking at a few but am afraid to spend $450 on a trimmer that will give me the same issues. any advice from any shooters out there?

I wonder why the WFT was inconsistent for you. It's always been within .001 for me. Did you size before trimming? You said "formed" so I'm not totally sure. I guess you ran fired cases into a blackout die. But if you mean fireformed then trimmed, you need to FL size before running them in the WTF. Also the shoulder (which is what the WTF indexes from) is pretty small in a 300 Blackout right? That might be the problem, I've only used mine for .223, .308, and 6.5CM (all pretty bottlenecked) and they're tits on with those.

Good luck.

yeah for the 300 blk I take 223 and cut it down passed the 223 shoulder. fl size and trim. it was right on but had 2 trims. 1.365 within .001 and 1.362 within .001 the 223 trimmer will hold within 1.750 +- .002 closer then that but some travel to .002 but not many

do you have any issues with cases being hard to push in and pull out of your WFT? the 300 seems to be pretty bad about it I first was thinking something with the shoulder as that is indeed how the index but the case gauge just fine

No issues with hard insertion or extraction. Do you think the cutter could have gotten loose?

What you're describing with the WFT seems odd to me. Mine has all been within 0.001" of tolerance. Maybe something got loose or perhaps there's an issue with your particular trimmer. No issue with insertion/extraction with brass either. Goes in, half turn clockwise and comes out great. Have a WFT for 6.5Creedmoor and just ordered another to burn through 2k worth of 223 brass.

Think I'll be making a phone call tomorrow then and ask some questions. Everything seems to be tight so perhaps I got a bad one hppfully their warranty is worth a damn. One thing I did rule out as well was hard expansion while sizing polished my expander unit and bam consistanty with my 223 but that 300 blackout one just kinda ticks me off

Since the WFT indexes off the shoulder, I would use a Hornady gauge and check the length of the cases to the shoulder.

I bet you find two different lengths.

Get a Giraud, you see very few ever come up for sale and they go quick, it's the best piece of reloading equipment I have, and would rather slide down a slide of razor blades into a MEK pool than be without mine.

Since the WFT indexes off the shoulder, I would use a Hornady gauge and check the length of the cases to the shoulder.

I bet you find two different lengths.

I use Dillon eqipment pretty much exclusively. And have a full set of case gages all consistent.

Outside of a headspace gave what would be the best way to measure this? If I take 10 cases and out them in a gage they all fall perfectly flat the same time on the minimum sized end. They all fall in consistently

You need to see exactly where the shoulders are.

I am not sure that with a case gauge that is the shoulder is back some extra, it would not drop in the normal amount.