• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Casing sticking in chamber-help

JohnK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2019
Traded for this rifle so I don’t know much history on it. 6.5PRC someone put together. No gunsmith name and barrel is actually not stamped with caliber.

Proof barrel, Remington action which is a short action. I first noticed the extractor was not grabbing a loaded round very well. Thought maybe just worn and needs to be replaced. Next, I cannot put loaded rounds in the mag due to OAL being about the same as the mag. When chambering a round there is a little more resistance than normal but not really bad. First shot and I try to eject and casing is stuck. Extractor eventually catches and pulls casing. Next shot, same thing. This time I had to push it out with a rod. Where do I need to start on trying to correct the issue?

Are we talking reloads or factory rounds?

Reactions: HOOFER
Factory Hornady Match.

I’ve spoke with the guy I traded and also the one that built, both acting like they have no idea what’s going on. Not buying it but not worth the argument.

Does the extractor look damaged at all? Does it have free range of motion? Pretty common for them to chip or get brass remnants/debris down in the channel. Probably the most common causes for failure to extract.

Yes, it looks to me like this was not the first time a casing was stuck in chamber and extractor was possibly slightly bent. When I pushed the casing out with the rod, it had a decent amount of resistance then broke loose fully.

Seems odd that factory Hornady Match wouldn't fit into the mag.
Have you cleaned out the chamber and/or had a look with a scope? Maybe something caught in chamber that is creating difficult chambering and even worse extraction.

Was the action worked on? If so bolt handle may need to be timed to regain primary extraction.

Pic of the extracted brass?