• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cast Bullets From A Glock??

HOGGHEAD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Rivesville, WV
I have heard good and bad about shooting cast bullets from a Glock?? I cast all my handgun bullets for all my revolvers. I am buying a Glock 21 in 45 ACP. I have heard they will not shoot cast bullets. And I have heard the pistol will shoot cast bullets well as long as you do not run them hot. Any experience here with cast in a Glock 21?? If so, which cast bullets(design so I can buy a mold)?? Thanks, Tom.

Re: Cast Bullets From A Glock??

You can shoot lead out of Glocks but you will have to change the Barrell! I do not recommend shooting any cast bullet out of a stcok Glock! They lead up super fast and can cause over pressure!

I use a Lone Wolf barrel on mine and the accuaracy is superb.

Lone Wolf Barrels

Terry

Shoot away. I shoot USPSA major loads in my .40 S&W Glocks with no trouble at all. I sold my Lone Wolf barrel because there was no benefit over the stock barrel. More people than not will argue against lead bullets, but I'm giving you my real world experience. I've shot at least 30k lead bullets over the last 4 years or so with no problems. I try to clean my pistols 3 or 4 times a year, so there's nothing majic to the cleaning frequency. I'm convinced that kabooms are mainly the result of poor loading practices and bullet set-back during cycling. If it makes you feel better then buy the Lone Wolf barrel, but it's not required.

ETA: WST is good powder for lead bullets

I bought a Lonewolf for my 23. Not as friendly to various bullet profiles as the Glock Barrel but it is a cut rifled barrel; believed to be better suited for lead bullets. Additionally, I felt it would avoid bulged cases as it also fully supports the cases.

MScott,

How hard do you cast your bullets? Do you use gas checks? Not doubting you, but I am curious as the excessive leading hubbub concerning polygonal barrels has been ongoing for so long it wouldn't surprise me to find it's as overblown as the "need" to break in new rifle barrels or clean every twenty shots!

I have been casting bullets for a long time. I have the ability to mix alloys for whatever hardness I wish to achieve. Normally I do not use GC's. I keep my velocities at or under 1800fps so GC's are not necessary(in revolvers or rifles).

I am asking these questions because I have not done much casting for semi-automatic pistols. So I am looking for good information so I can buy the right mold the first time. Thanks, Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

MScott,

How hard do you cast your bullets? Do you use gas checks? Not doubting you, but I am curious as the excessive leading hubbub concerning polygonal barrels has been ongoing for so long it wouldn't surprise me to find it's as overblown as the "need" to break in new rifle barrels or clean every twenty shots! </div></div>

I don't cast .... I can buy them locally for $45 per thousand. I don't know how hard they are, but a lot of them are wheel weights. I used to buy from another guy, but he raised his price up to $60/k. No reason to cast with prices like that. I found the Glock barrel to be just as accurate and more reliable. I'm a scavenger when it comes to brass, so I use whatever I find. I had to get a throating reamer for the the Lone Wolf barrel and my 1911 since the lead bullets were a little larger than jacketed. My Springfield Armory 1911 actually leads worse than any of my Glocks. I have found powder selection to be as important as anything for lead bullets. Tightgroup and Clays seem to burn hotter and will lead up your barrel pretty quickly. WST is my favorite and the least smokey as well.

HOGGHEAD you need to keep the alloy hard, I shoot cast from my G20 as hot as I can get a 175 TC in a 10mm auto, which can go about 1400fps with the right load and recoil spring.

My lead alloy is 35+ HBn from the tester, I drop the bullets straight from the mould into a bucket of water.

GC's are not necessary.

The bullets need to be hard to shoot in a glock, that's all. My testing showed no leading until the lead dropped below about 22 HBn

EDIT: I use the 6 cavity Lee 175 TC mould with the standard lube groove, not the tumble lube. I size them to .401 with either a Lee sizing die (if I'm only doing a couple) or generally I run them through the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer with a .401 sizing die in it.