• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Catching Brass

svencool

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Everett WA
www.photostrated.com
I was wondering what you guys do to keep your brass at the range? The shooting lanes at my range are pretty close together and have heard tail of people that take a bandana and tie it off to scope base and then to like the trigger area to catch the brass as it's flying out? Anyone heard of this or have a better idea so the brass doesn't have to hit the concrete floor and and people walking by stepping on it!!!!! I'm buying all my brass and don't want it getting all beat up if you know what I mean.

So if anyone here has any idea's i'm all ears
smile.gif
Thanks

Re: Catching Brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">leavenotrace.com </div></div>

I'm not sure what this is or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Cheap fishing net? Get one in "tactical black" and call it a day. Just set it up next to the rifle, and save yourself some money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slafav</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap fishing net? Get one in "tactical black" and call it a day. Just set it up next to the rifle, and save yourself some money. </div></div>

I will have to look into that leave no trace wanted like $140 before shipping. Do you have any pictures of your setup with a cheap fishing net style? I'm just assuming you might use that setup
smile.gif
Thanks

Could just have a friend stand there and play hot potato with the brass as it comes out lol!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could just have a friend stand there and play hot potato with the brass as it comes out lol! </div></div>

I did that for a friend last time at the range not something I care to repeat lol Hot and Dirty! I just hate having the brass fly out and hit the concrete and get dinged and dented... not to mention getting stepped on and the guy next to yea picking up your brass along with his....

I cut the brim off of a baseball cap and hang the hat over the vertical turret by the adjustment band.

Works for me.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

I use a snipers veil (sp). Picked one up at a gunshow for a few bucks. Just drape it over your scope and ejection port. It lays the brass down beside your rifle and it looks cool doing it too.

I throw a baseball cap over my scope turret. it does a fairly good job at catching your brass and when your shooting beside some1 they dont get hit.

trilogymac,gixxerrcr you guys are brilliant!! i have got to try that

I really like the look of that "Leave no Trace" model, but holy crap is it expensive for a device that catches brass! I'm wondering how hard it would be to machine something on the bridgeport that would clamp onto the picatinny rail rather than the delta ring...

Also, does anyone know if that thing dents your brass? In addition to catching brass, I'd like to avoid those annoying dents in my brass from the shell deflector.

Yes, but then I have no forward assist!

Plus I shoot lefty, so I'd rather have the deflector dent the brass, than the brass dent my face!

You need to get yourself a "BOLTRIPPER" attachment. That thing sucks up all kinds of brass...or so I have heard.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: svencool</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slafav</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap fishing net? Get one in "tactical black" and call it a day. Just set it up next to the rifle, and save yourself some money. </div></div>

I will have to look into that leave no trace wanted like $140 before shipping. Do you have any pictures of your setup with a cheap fishing net style? I'm just assuming you might use that setup
smile.gif
Thanks </div></div>

I don't use one personally, just sounded like it would work after I saw those prices.
grin.gif

You can put a piece of electrical tape on your brass deflector, it reduces the case mouth dents. Its a non-issue for me, since the sizing die has a case mouth expander in it anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA!!! I have seen that guy on here. Does he ever say anything worthwhile? </div></div>

That's not what I meant. You are only leaving yourself open for ridicule.

Josh

Well I apologize if I said something offensive. That wasn't my intention. I thought you were commenting on member "boltripper" who appears to be the Hide jokester.

If I may ask, what DID you mean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I apologize if I said something offensive. That wasn't my intention. I thought you were commenting on member "boltripper" who appears to be the Hide jokester.

If I may ask, what DID you mean? </div></div>

I like Bolt. He has just been known to make off with brass at matches. That's what I meant by brass catcher.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering how hard it would be to machine something on the bridgeport that would clamp onto the picatinny rail rather than the delta ring... </div></div>

It's not.

A little pic rail clamp attachment made on the mill, a piece of wire bent just right, and a cloth bag.....I mainly just hate sorting through the tall grass for the brass.

brasscatcher1.jpg

brasscatcher3.jpg

brasscatcher4.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gMm52seQ54"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gMm52seQ54" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That is basically EXACTLY what I had in mind! Nice work! Mind if I sort of copy your design?

That is basically EXACTLY what I had in mind! Nice work! Mind if I sort of copy your design?

Do you have to unscrew yours every time you empty the brass out?

Go for it....

Yeah, the one pictured needs to be taken off to empty. The one I made for my kid's right handed M4 has a zipper on the bottom of the bag. Either way, it's easier than hunting up the brass.

Excellent. now I just need to get a dovetail endmill. Do you happen to know offhand which size I need to cut a picatinny mount?

Also, is that bend in the wire to allow the dust port cover to swing open?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent. now I just need to get a dovetail endmill. Do you happen to know offhand which size I need to cut a picatinny mount?

Also, is that bend in the wire to allow the dust port cover to swing open? </div></div>

I don't know offhand what the dovetail size is. Actually this clamp was originally part of an old POS weaver riser block I dug out of my junk box. Seemed like a good donor for the cause.

The dust cover on this LH Stag flips up, so the wire opening is bent big enough to accomodate that. The extra bend is so I can get my finger in there to trip the bolt release.

If you are shooting a RH then all you need is an opening large enough to let the dust cover flip down far enough out of the way.

Pretty simple....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cut the brim off of a baseball cap and hang the hat over the vertical turret by the adjustment band.

Works for me.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac </div></div>

Not a bad idea either
smile.gif

tried the ball cap works pretty good , now i just pick my brass up off my mat and not out of the grass. freebies are the best.

If you are running a scope just loop an old baseball cap around the objective and let it hang over the ejection port. Works like a top. It screws the hat up big time though.