• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCI CB Long VS. Rem. CBee 22 - Quiet ammo showdown

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
These 2 specialty ammos are generally used for backyard pest removal among other applications where "stealth" is required - low noise / less detection. Recently having a population of 5 grey foxes move under the neighbor's shed (and the subsequent losing the fear of people, aggresive stances taken against myself and my wife) had me at the store looking for a "solution". For the record, if it wasn't for the offensive / defensive actions the foxes were taking, I wouldn't have been looking for a "solution". So having both of the subject ammos readily available at the store, I purchased both and figured to do a little test while in hand. Yes, there is also Aguila SSS ammo out there that fits into the same classification / use as the subject ammos, unfortunately not availble at the store I was at.

Both ammos came in a 100 round container, price on both was $9.99, or $.01 a round. I started analyzing the ammos the usual way, weighing and rim sorting, then chronographing. I only took the first 50 rounds of the box to do the weight and rim thickness sorting, as that should be enough to give an example of the rest.

Chronographing was done 10 feet from the muzzle, average on 5 rounds shot. The rifle used was a Savage MKII BV 20" heavy barrel. Some of the group testing was a MKII F, 17" sporter barrel. The magazines were loaded 1 round each of the different weight lots / rim thickness of each ammo to ensure an objective "mix" of what can be encountered, or if taking the rounds straight out to the box. Temp was 78 deg F, sunny, cross wind of 3 to 7 mph 3:00. 10 round groups were measured outside to outside spread.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Remington CBee 22 ammo</span></span></span>

First, a breakdown of the <span style="font-weight: bold">Remington CBee 22 ammo</span>. I never was a fan of Remington ammo of any caliber, so I must admit I was biased from the start. The advertised data on the back of the package read that it had a 33gr truncated cone bullet and velocity was 740 fps at muzzle, 687 at 50yards with a 25 yard zero, a 2.7" drop at 50 yards.

I found this to be somewhat true. I chronied an average of 736 fps 10 feet away from the muzzle. With a 25 yard zero and not making any adjustments, a 2.5" drop. A deviation between the lowest and highest FPS reading was only 36 FPS. The rapport of the ammo was substaintially lower than that of High velocity, and also noticably lower than standard / match / subsonic velocitied ammos.

The bullet itself looked quite wicked - a true truncated coned head with a large cavity hollowpoint. In addition, there were slots cut into the tip at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, no doubt to assist with fragmentation / expansion. The lead bullet was copper washed, a few lookes as if there was some sort of scaling around the driving band. A hint of lubrication was present, however very minimal.

The ammo weight lot seperation produced 8 weight lots, and ranged from 44.4 (1 round) to 46.0 grains (3 rounds), favoring 45.1 grains with 12 rounds out of 50.

Rim Thickness produced 6 lots and ranged between .0365 and .040, favoring .0380.
(.0365 - 3, .037 - 8, .0375 - 9, .0380 - 16, .0385 - 13, .040 - 1)

I found the group size to be actually impressive, albeit only 25 yards through a MKII F and especially a super low velocity in a cross wind. Horizontally, only .75" and vertically .25". With the heavy barrelled MKII, a horizontal and vertical spread of just under .75". So I picked it up a notch and went to 50 yards. Not expecting much, i was actually really surpised. A 1.25" group with the 17" MKII F, and a -1.5" group with the MKII BV heavy barrel. Drop from both the 17" sporter and 20" heavy barrel was 2.5" from the 25 yard zero. Illustrations at the end of post. Through 70+ rounds being shot through 2 different rifles, there were 4 failures to fire. 5 out of the 70+ rounds had an "off sound" which were obviously of lower velocity and charge, but printed on paper somewhat closely to the parent group. Even the "bad rounds" grouped well enough.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">CCI CB Longs</span></span></span>

Now on to the <span style="font-weight: bold">CCI CB Longs</span>. From what I understand, the CB Longs were made to accomodate rifles that were chambered for Long Rifle only, and use of CB Shorts would cause warranty issues, carbon ring buildup, etc. On the package, an advertised 29 grain Round Nose bullet and a 710 FPS. although the Round Nose bullet (stubby looking) was true, actual readings were 593 FPS with a lowest to highest deviation of 96 FPS. The bullet also had a slight hint of lubrication, however as with the Rem. CBee's, very minimal. As you will see in the illustrations at the bottom of the post, I could not really give a good read on a 25 yard to 50 yard drop as only 6 of the 10 rounds actually printed on paper - 2 hits were severly low, and 2 rounds were even lower, by at least 10"! All i could say on drop is 8" ish.

The ammo weight lot seperation ranged with only 5 lots from 40.3 (1 round) to 41.0 grains (3 rounds), favoring 40.7 grains with 23 rounds, and 40.3 grains with 22 rounds, out of 50.

Rim Thickness produced 6 lots and ranged between .0380 and .0415, favoring .0390.
(.038 - 1, .0385 - 2, .039 - 23, .0395 - 22, .040 - 1, .0415 - 1)

So from a measurements stand point, the CCI CB Longs seemed to be more consistant than the Rem CBees, but on paper, the results were majorly different, -5.5" vertical spread, .75" horizontal with the MKII F sporter barrel, the group shot with the heavy barrel were, to say the least, to big to be considered a group, even at 25 yards. Several of the rounds had a distinct under charging sound, I went as far as to check the barrel to see if the bullet had cleared. At 50 yards, hits printed on paper so dispersed, I didn't pursue further testing. Of the 40 rounds of CB Longs shot, there were no failures to fire, and 12 rounds had a very low rapport that either couldn't be consisered precise enough to be used as an urban environment for pest control, and a few splashed in the dirt, no where near the target at both 25 and 50 yards.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">COMPARISONS</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">OVERVIEW</span> - To be fair, after 70+ rounds of the Rem CBee 22s, 7 had a similiar "off sound" but were nowhere near the extreme off sound of the CCI CB Longs. At least the Rem CBees printed near the parent group enough to give confidence that hitting the mark (center mass or head shot on pests) can be more constantly achieved in an urban setting, where safety of a stray bullet should be the first concern. Both ammos left a sooty residue. Both ammos considerably low noise. Both manufacturers have "Do not use in semi autos" - it will not cylcle the bolt / slide. The truncated cone shape of the CBEE 22 reminded me of .45ACP self defence ammo with stop right there characteristics and cut well defined holes in paper, and the CB Longs had more of a pass through Round Nose find your quarry somewhere else kind of feel, and produced a more jagged less defined hole in paper.

<span style="font-weight: bold">COST</span> - Both ammos were the same price.

<span style="font-weight: bold">SOUND</span> - The Rem CBee 22s were noticably louder than the CCI CB Longs, but more accurate than the CCI CB Longs, at least through both a sporter and heavy barreled Savage MKII. Perhaps the bad groups of the CCI CB Longs can be contributed to the shorter and lighter bullet not being favored by the MKII for stabilization, but the numerous off sounding rounds led me to believe that the same would hold true in any rifle. Handguns (with shorter barrels) may be the exception to this and produce different results, but these ammo were run through rifles and not handguns. Hands down, the CCI CB Longs was the quieter of the ammo, but seems that more shots may be needed to actually hit what you aiming at, so the louder Remingtons may be of more value for when a safe one shot hit is preferred.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BULLET DESIGN</span> - Remington CBee 22 had the more specific design for fragmentation / expansion when a hit is achieved and a heavier weight for energy, rather than the lighter Round Nose of the CCI CB Longs. Again when used for pest control in an urban environment, the Remingtons has a more "stop right there" design and fragmentation if there is a miss.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ACCURACCY</span> - The Remingtons semed that they may be of some use past 50 yards judging from how well they grouped at 50 yards. As the round count remaining in my inventory started to dwindle, I wanted to make sure I had enough available to take care of my original situation. At least through a MKII sporter and heavy barrel there is no doubt that the Reminton CBee22 ammo was far superior, and actually not a bad choice to use for every day target shooting at $.01 a shot.

UPDATED SINCE FIRST TRIAL - I've shot the Rem. CBee22 at 100 yards, no picture posted as at that distance (at least through a MKII) the groups were very large and hits were scattered, not very effective for what the ammo was designed for and 100 yards good performance is asking alot from this ammo in the first place. I just wan't to satisfy my "what if" at 100 yards. Still, for a low noise "backyard pest removing" ammo, 50 yards is still quite a good distance and to have the kind of results the Rem CBee22 produced was still quite amazing to me. Not bad for a primer only .22lr.

<span style="font-weight: bold">25 YARDS, MKII F 17" SPORTER BARREL</span>

cbee25ydsmkiif.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">50 YARDS, MKII F 17" SPORTER BARREL</span>

cbee50yardsmkiif.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">25 YARDS, MKII BV 20" HEAVY BARREL </span>

cbeeandcbl25yardsmkiibv.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">50 YARDS, MKII BV 20" HEAVY BARREL </span>

cbee50ydsmkiibv.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">25 TO 50 YARD DROP WITH MKII HEAVY BARREL </span> (same results with the sporter barrel)

cbee50ydsdropmkiibv.jpg

How did the "solution" to my situation turn out? Let's just say that if there were any henhouses in the area, the hens could sleep peaceably from now on. And it only took $.50, thanks to the Remington CBee 22....definately stop right there outcomes with no attention brought to what was going on.

correction, 10 cents a round.

retraction - not that affordable as a plinker, much better target ammo available for that price.

Re: CCI CB Long VS. Rem. CBee 22 - Quiet ammo showdown

correction, 10 cents a round.

retraction - not that affordable as a plinker, much better target ammo available for that price.

I brought a pack of CCI longs same as yours today and sprayed them all over the target, about a 4 inch group at 50 yards, one even went through the paper sideways, bit disappointing.

Thanks for the information. Sorting through all the subsonic options can be daunting.

I use the CB longs in my 10/22 for pests in the yard (squirrels, pigeons, rabbits) because it is so quiet (in part because it doesn't cycle the action). At my maximum range of about 50' they work very well. Even with a suppressor, anything that cycles the action is significantly louder.

The SSS ammo seems to hit quite a bit harder, so I would be curious to see how it compares to what you've already found. That heavier slug might help at longer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XOK-DESIGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I brought a pack of CCI longs same as yours today and sprayed them all over the target, about a 4 inch group at 50 yards, one even went through the paper sideways, bit disappointing.</div></div>

yeah that's one thing i noticed, the jagged holes - almost looked like keyholing. could be short bullet and light weight, maybe just not atabilizing through the MKII.

if i come across some of the Aguila SSS, i'd like to run them against the Rem CBee 22, but right now sticking to what i know that works.

i'd actually like to run the CBee22 at 100 yards just for giggles, and will probably do so in the not so distant future.

I've had similar results with the CCI Longs.

My first experience shooting CCI CB Longs was through a Ruger 10/22 with a sporter barrel. At 20 yards the group was one ragged hole. I was so impressed that I switched to using it as my exclusive round whenever engaging in various and sundry low light activities simply because I have so much respect for my neighbors sweet slumber and seek to avoid disturbing them at all costs.

Subsequently I bought a CZ 455 and was just giddy at the prospect of a marriage between it the CB Long.

They didn't hit it off at all! The group size at 20 yards was like >/= 1.25" or something equally ridiculous.

I have a designated 10/22 for pest control...I put a 29" barrel on it and with cb longs all you hear is bullet impact. Its a little louder with the shorts,and you'll need a different mag to feed it, but still quiet,accuracy is pretty much like shown above.Accuracy is much better with subsonic target loads,and still pretty quiet. The SSS 60gr ammo needs a 1 in 9 twist, to shoot decent, but reports are that it ain't that great even with that.I havn't tried them in the long barrel yet.It doesn't shoot bad out of my Marlin 39 though.Link for 29" barrel and mag.....http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/lock.html

I've shot CCI CB Shorts to about 90yd through my Marlin 25, and was making hits on a 4" rock with boring regularity.

Never tried to shoot groups with them, but they were minute of soda can between 10-50yd which is plenty IMO for pest control.

I'll have to try some of those Remmy boolets, though...

You might want to give the newer Winchester "super sub's" a try. I shot them in my Cooper. I find them to be more accurate than the Remington C-Bee and the CCI's. I picked up several bricks of the Winchester ammo a couple months back. And not only is it quieter(slightly) than the two you listed, but in my Cooper it is more accurate. Give them a try.

I also like the Super Aquila. No doubt it is the quietest of the bunch. But it gives up alot of velocity to attain that noise level.

The CCI, Remington, and Winchester all maintain the 700+ fps velocity. The Super Aquila does not. The new Winchester is definitely my new go to squirrel round. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to give the newer Winchester "super sub's" a try. </div></div>

Where do you pick these up at? Link?

Most places have them. I think I got 2,000 from Midway. Cheaper than Dirt also had them but their shipping price was ridiculous. I have seen them at a few different places.

I shot some today along with some high velocity Winchester's and some Remington Sub-Sonic's. The Winchester was considerably quieter than the Remington sub-sonic. But the Winchester is also a good bit slower than the Remington sub-sonic's.

I think the Winchester has a book velocity of 770 fps. And I think the Remington C-Bee is 760, and the CCI-CB Long's are 730 fps. I could possibly have those a bit confused, but I think they are the publicized factory velocites. Of those 3 the Winchester's were definitely the most quiet-and noticably so. Or at least they were in my Cooper.

At 40 yards the Winchester extra quiet rounds(770 fps) shot to about the same point of aim as the faster Remington sub-sonic's(not the Remington C-Bee's). The Remington C-Bee's shot about 3/4" right and one inch low(at 40 yards). SQUIRREL HEAD RANGE!! Tom.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=569245

a quick addition,

I've shot the Rem. CBee22 at 100 yards, no picture posted as at that distance (at least through a MKII) the groups were very large and hits were scattered, not very effective for what the ammo was designed for and 100 yards good performance is asking alot from this ammo in the first place. I just wan't to satisfy my "what if" at 100 yards. Still, for a low noise "backyard pest removing" ammo, 50 yards is still quite a good distance and to have the kind of results the Rem CBee22 produced was still quite amazing to me. Not bad for a primer only .22lr.

I tried the longs once in my CZ.
They are the only bullets that I've used to date that have failed to penetrate a squirrels hide.
I wouldn't advocate shooting fox with them.
I've had shorts penetrate a squirrel stem to stern.

yeah i will not be using the CCI CBlongs for anything, as the remington CBee22 was quite more accurate and of a more effective style bullet design.

i also wanted to compare the winchesters in the future, however the addition to the topic on another site has led me to believe it unneccessary as it was pointed out the better terminal ballistics of the Rem CBee22 on critters compared to the winchesters and a similiar POI.

the quote from another site:

"I have had a major problem on myproperty with chipmunks and red sqirrels. Lots of damage and getting in my foundation, chimney, lawns, etc. After my wife wasted $250 on a useless exterminator I decided to control the problem myself and have some fun at it. Over the past three years or more have shot a few hundred chipmunks and about a hundred red squirrels, all with my Savage stainless thumbhole 22 and CB's. I have a 6.5x20 Leupold EF with adj turrets. My target distances is from 20 yards to 55 and I set my scope power to try and replicate a vital area relationship of of a white tail at 15x the distance. 50 yards chipmunk about 800 whitetail. I have had similar accuracy results to yours with the same ammo plus I have used Winchester Match CB Longs as well. Some experiences and thoughts:

All three loads have some occasionnal powder variations, you can tell by the report, the Winchesters have the least variation.

Impact out to 55 yards is identical between the Winchesters and CBEE's. The CCIs are a few minutes low. The Winchesters in my rifle have a definite accuracy edge over the
other two. The Remingtons are the loudest, the others, quieter, and the same.

There is a definite advantage in bullet performance with the CBEE's out to about 40 yards. The hollow point does work and result in cleaner one shot kills, especially on the much tougher red squirrels. Unless, you hit the spine or head, the other two will result in a runner. Out past 40 yards, not much difference. I use the Winchesters and past 40 yards, try for a head shot if conditions are good.

I zero my scope at 35 yards. +1moa at 40, 2 at 45, and 3.25 at 50. A 10 MPH full value wind needs 2MOA at 50 yards, 1.5 at 35. A 20 degree temp change from 70 degrees gets 2 clicks. If a wood chuck shows up, I come down 3 MOA from zero, slip in a Remington Club Eley and aim for his eye.

Last point. I have found if I clean the rifle, it takes 10-20 shots to settle it in.

My wife thinks I'm a nut, but the infestation problem is under control".

Very informative thread. I'm contemplating filing down Winchester CB Longs (I have older ones in yellow box and marked "22 Long Z", but they should be more or less the same) with a tool similar to Hanned Line SGB tool. See e.g. this for detailed pictures:

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=4427

I'd be making my tool on a lathe. Of course I'd rather pay $15 to have one shipped to my door but not avail overseas...

The reason for whole mess is, that it's almost impossible to find truly subsonic ammunition for most (of my) rifles. With CB Longs I could practice w/ unmodified ammo.

A few mags of preliminary testing shows decent accuracy up to 50y. If sorting and/or cutting the nose flat will improve upon this, all the better. The unmodified and/or sorted-out ammo would be used for offhand training etc.

What is funny, 95% of this nations rim fire comes from 1 factory in Lewiston ID!

Here's some quick results from Winchester 22 Long Z ammo. According to the box, they're made by Olin in Oz, a quick web search suggests they may not be avail in US

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5743&start=15

Scroll down for a picture of the yellow box. If I had to take a guess, I'd say the US variety as discussed above by HOGGHEAD is this same stuff packaged differently.

Anyway, I shot only 12rds from a distance of 20 meters (22y) using my Toz repeater. Shooting Chrony M1, equipped with LED screens, was located 2 meters from the gun. The rest and target were not ideal from the accuracy point of view, but their impact is minimal.

The two 5rd groups were 5/8" and 1/2" ctc. The average for 12rds was 792fps, low 739fps, high 833fps. From such a close distance, I could map each shot through scope, and there wasn't any correlation like faster shots landing higher.

I'm looking forward trying them in different guns and longer distances. I also hope that sorting them would yield lower spreads in muzzle velocity, and thus help fight the vertical at longer distances (around 50 meters). Currently I have only limited amounts, but planning on buying a few bricks.

have you considered the cobri aguilas? you can take out the neighbors cat and it doesnt even sound like an air rifle. my gun loves the 60gr aguila super sniper but your barrel has to be long enough to stabelize the bullet.

Me?

Have not, since I don't have a reliable way to get them here in Finland. And I'm using silencers all the way, so all I'm interested in is truly subsonic ammo (0.9 Mach and below or so). This may sound veeeery unfair to on your side of the pond, but I just bought 2pcs 22LR silencers, CNC machined, for 20 euro apiece. They're not the greatest or latest, but good solid product anyway.

Actually the SSS is very tempting, if I got, say 10k of it at a reasonable price, I'd throw a 1-9" barrel on one of my rimfires (got the reamers etc.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrialByError</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have you considered the cobri aguilas? you can take out the neighbors cat and it doesnt even sound like an air rifle. my gun loves the 60gr aguila super sniper but your barrel has to be long enough to stabelize the bullet. </div></div>

I shoot the Super Colibri's in a few of my rifles, and all my handguns. But you have to be careful in some rifle barrels. The bullet will hang up in some barrels.

I have also tried the bigger 60 grainers in my Cooper and a couple other rifles, but they shot horribly. I thought they would make a great squirrel and small game sub-sonic. But I just couldn't get them to shoot well in any of my firearms.

Please explain your comment about barrel length being needed to stabilize the 60 grain pill?? Tom.

Okay, so how about those pesky foxes? Did the shorts do the job, the suspense is killing me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How did the "solution" to my situation turn out? Let's just say that if there were any henhouses in the area, the hens could sleep peaceably from now on. And it only took $.50, thanks to the Remington CBee 22....definately stop right there outcomes with no attention brought to what was going on. </div></div>

the politically correct way of saying no foxes in the neighborhood.