• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCW Advice?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Did a search for this, not much came back.

What some ccw advice for a new ccw'er. Anything you wish you knew from the beginging.

The only one I know is buy it right once, cry once.

Re: CCW Advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only one I know is buy it right once, cry once. </div></div>
unless you're talking about holsters... every time you figure out you don't like one, replace it with two more..repeat.

or learn to make your own.

I run a RIA officers 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck holster and I LOVE my setup. I've carried a fullsize 1911 and a Bersa Thunder 45. I will always carry a 45 because I know if I hit them once and it will do the job. Also the officers is small enough and offers the best follow up shots speed and accuracy. Here is a picture of my current daily carry.

ria1911.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-02-28

What ever pistol you decide on get that holster. It makes it so that 1911 can be carried with cargo shorts and a tshit and it disapears.

Good luck,
Merritt

Find a place to try out different style holsters before you buy one. Many (even nice ones) suck, especially on skinny dudes.
Cheap holsters really suck.
I've spent over $300 on holsters and prefer to carry Mex. style most of the time.
A sturdy belt is a must w/ or w/out a hoster.
The leather CC gun belts are not sized like you would expect.
They need to be tried on.
The d-ring and rigger tactical type belts are just like they were in the military. If your belly isn't just like it was in the military, they will be uncomforable.

The biggest deal really is printing when it's hot as hell and knowing where you realy can and cannot go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we talking a carry gun, or leather, or carry technique?</div></div>

Mostly leather / cary technique.

My advice: have options!

While I understand it's not easy to run right out and buy every option for guns and holsters you can find, work towards it!

Options as far as: guns, holsters, mag carriers etc etc. I choose my rig daily based on what I am wearing, the forcasted weather, what I anticipate I will be doing throughout the day, and where I might be going.

Typical winter day: DW CBOB 1911 in a custom boomstick IWB holster. A coat or heavy jacket helps in the concealment of the biggest rigs I use.

Typical spring/fall day: Glock 27 in a highnoon IWB. A heavier sweatshirt or hoodie helps in the concealment of my mid-weight rig.

Typical warm weather day: Kahr PM9 also in a highnoon IWB. Nothing more then a t-shirt needed for this one!

I also like the option of my kel-tec pocket rocket P3AT in a desantis superfly pocket holster. Works great when in sweats or workout style pants or athletic shorts and running to the convenience store or up the street to get a paper..

Options options options! I have found that for ME one single setup does not work well for every situation! That CBOB in an IWB holster clipped onto my gym shorts walking up the street for a paper is NOT the best way to go!!

YMMV of course, but that's my $.2.

Another penny more: the gun belt is a very very important, often overlooked piece of gear! Wear a regular old belt for a month with a gun and holster attached and then try out a gun belt and you will instantly see what I mean!

Hope this helps!!

Cold weather
Ed Brown Special Forces 5" 1911 IWB in Milt Sparks VMII

Warm weather
Walther PPS 9mm IWB in a UBG Striker
or Ruger SP101 357 mag IWB in a UBG Canute

I also have 2 boxes of holsters in the gun room. Over the years, I have tried em all. Galco SOB/MOB, high noon, even tried to make my own once. Wasn't pretty.

Milt Sparks makes great holsters, I have a Summer Special I wear quite frequently.

Get a double-ply, 1 3/4 or 2" belt (need the width to hold onto the gun.

In time, you will have a drawer full of holsters, because no matter how good one is, one is never perfect for every situation.

Do NOT get a 1911 unless you are willing to put in allot of time training (as in with real instruction) and practice. If you ain't comfortable with a round in the chamber, hammer back, weapon on safe (condition 1), 1911 is not for you.

Black Hills Leather does really nice work and much faster than Kramer of Milt Sparks.

It's easy to spot a guy with a crappy holster, he's always adjusting it. Buy a good one, harder to spot, much more comfortable to wear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only one I know is buy it right once, cry once. </div></div>
unless you're talking about holsters... every time you figure out you don't like one, replace it with two more..repeat.

or learn to make your own. </div></div>

Good point!!!

I've come to prefer small, thin, lighter pistols in a 1:00 appendix carry. This is for T-shirt weather (which abounds here). High Noon Holster's MrSofty is an inexpensive quality holster that I have come to really like.
My little P3AT on me beats the crap out of my 1911 I didn't grab when I left.......

If I have a cover garment that's going to stay on I like a comfortable IWB at 4:00, or an OWB higher ride canted holster at 4:00 for the bigger framed pistols.

And RC makes a great point too-if you don;t get a good belt, most any holster will let you down. A good belt (designed to support a pistol's weight) is a key element of successful carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 words... "Milt Sparks" </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Excellent advice right there! Be prepared for a wait. It will be worth it.

Bob </span> </span>

IWB is far less comfortable than OWB, but a lot easier to conceal effectively
smile.gif

IWB is how I carry, and buy my pants a size or two larger in the waist because of it.

Semper Fidelis

i have a glock 19 in a comp-tac MTAC holster for the summer. during the winter when i have more covering layers i carry a HK45C in a crossbreed supertuck.

I like being able to switch back and forth depending on what type of clothing i wear. ideally i would carry the HK everyday, however it becomes visible if i am only wearing a tshirt. different tools for the job and all that.

I use a simple IWB Galco Stow and Go for my Kahr PM40. It works great, and you can take it on and off easily. The S n G is not made for every pistol, so it depends on what you have. I also use a Blade Tech Nano, and it does ok. The nice IWB they are talking about above are also good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And RC makes a great point too-if you don;t get a good belt, most any holster will let you down. A good belt (designed to support a pistol's weight) is a key element of successful carry. </div></div>

+1 If you were a regular "dress/Jeans" belt it is not meant to carry a holster and will bulge from the body making a CCW useless since everyone knows it is there.

glock 27 iwb usually in a comp tac infidel and some times a simple HD leather one from the Holster Store. After fumbling around with different holster options i've found that i like the simpler iwb holsters. pretty much a holster with a clip on the side.

if i'm tucking in my shirt i have a P3AT in my pocket

i'm 5'4" 160 lbs and have found these options work great for me.

i have been eyeing a glock 36.

Some good stuff here, heed the belt advice. I, like the rest of the people on the planet that have carried a gun have gone with 1911s, Sigs, HKs, take your pick. I also have the box of holsters.
If I were starting the whole process again tomorrow, I would go with this. Be realistic to your needs. What are you likely to face threat wise. What is your climate? What will your opponent be wearing most likely? Texas I would not think a down parka. What do your wear? Can you purchase a weapon/ carry rig for more than one method of carry?
What about a simple 38 snub? Drops in a cargo short pocket, easy to OWB or IWB, ankle carry if so inclined, carries a bit of power with 38+P. Weighs almost nothing. The administrative ease is nice, just swing the cylinder open and throw it in the safe when you get home. Might be nice for a hot Texas day. It's a great "do all" self defense gun.

My "big" carry is a Sig 239 in .40. I use an OWB paddle holster when clothing allows. In summer, or when the Sig is just too much, I carry a KT P3AT in a pocket holster.

Best advice I can offer is to <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> carry and to <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> beyond a shadow of a doubt when it is or isn't appropriate to introduce your handgun into a situation.

As far as equipment goes, options are a good thing. A lightweight J frame in a Galco Ankle Glove is a joy to carry but not the easiest/quickest to draw. I never leave the house without mine though if I'm wearing pants.

For warmer weather I appendix carry a Kahr PM9 in a FIST thin kydex holster. It's boring, simple and relatively cheap but it works very well, doesn't print and I can get to it with minimal movement.

For colder weather I frequently carry a Glock 23 in a Kramer Belt Scabbard. There may be better options out there but I'm used to this setup and it works very well.

As mentioned above, a good belt is an absolute must. Spend the money for a quality belt and you'll likely never have to buy another one (unless you outgrow it, lol).

On holsters Raven Concealment deserves a hard look. Great design, attention to detail, fit, and concealability make it one of the best holsters out right now. You can also have your light attached and in the holster.

They have a 75 day backlog right now, FYI.

Definitely start off with a good belt. I carried for quite a while with a normal belt and just didn't know any better until I tried a real gun belt. HOLY MOLY... that was a huge difference. I opted for a Mitch Rosen Express Line belt. It's solid and yet still reasonable price wise. Brownells has them for $70 I believe.

Holsters, I've come to learn, are very much personal preference. I tried a Milt Sparks VMII which many people absolutely rave about. I didn't like it. Too bulky, wasn't comfortable, pain in the ass overall in my opinion. At the same time I bought a Blade-Tech IWB and much preferred it. Sold the Milt Sparks and still use the Blade-Tech (Glock 26).

Regarding IWB / OWB, I find OWB much more comfortable overall. In winter, early spring, late fall time when I have a jacket on, I always opt to carry OWB. But, then you're pretty much stuck with keeping your jacket on. So you have to think ahead... if you're going out to eat or whatever, and you know you're going to want to take your jacket off, then put on your IWB before you leave the house. Whatever you do, don't leave your pistol behind. I'm a big believer in carry <span style="font-weight: bold">all the time</span>, or don't bother carrying at all. Carrying concealed really is a pain overall, but I won't leave the house without it.

I also just picked up a Ruger LCP for summer carry. Would I rather have my G26, or my 1911, if something went down? Sure, but I'd rather have the LCP than nothing at all. I just found that even with my G26 I would get printing with just a T-shirt on. I had to be careful about bending over and really just wasn't comfortable with it. Most often I would opt to wear a second polo style shirt over a light T-shirt and that helped conceal it. Well, I don't feel like having to do that, and I'm comfortable making the sacrifice in firepower to go to the LCP for shorts / T-shirt weather. I picked up a Desantis pocket holster for the LCP which I'm liking to this point.

In the end you're going to have to weigh out what you think you need / want to carry, and what is practical / comfortable for you. Somewhere in there you'll find a balance and a setup that works for your circumstance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 27 iwb usually in a comp tac infidel and some times a simple HD leather one from the Holster Store. After fumbling around with different holster options i've found that i like the simpler iwb holsters. pretty much a holster with a clip on the side.

if i'm tucking in my shirt i have a P3AT in my pocket

i'm 5'4" 160 lbs and have found these options work great for me.

i have been eyeing a glock 36. </div></div>

re the Glock 36.
Try to find one you can shoot before you buy one. I used mine for my first CHL and carried it for a very short time. IMHO too small for 45acp to shoot comfortably, and I lost quite a bit of skin off my hand (webbing between thumb and index) because my relativley small hands were too large for the gun. Just try it before you buy it. I sold mine pretty quickly.
Just some advice. It's worth exactly what you paid me for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 20pt">Best advice I can offer is to <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> carry and to <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> beyond a shadow of a doubt when it is or isn't appropriate to introduce your handgun into a situation.</span> </div></div>

Great advice that needs to come up more often in these "what ccw?" threads!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[ </div></div>

re the Glock 36.
Try to find one you can shoot before you buy one. I used mine for my first CHL and carried it for a very short time. IMHO too small for 45acp to shoot comfortably, and I lost quite a bit of skin off my hand (webbing between thumb and index) because my relativley small hands were too large for the gun. Just try it before you buy it. I sold mine pretty quickly.
Just some advice. It's worth exactly what you paid me for it. [/quote]

i've got a buddy with a 36 and a 30 i'll take your advice and give him a call.

If your rig isn't comfortable to carry, you are going to stop carrying it at some point...

So, if you want your CCW to do you any good at all, it has to be on you, thus has to be comfortable
smile.gif

Now, goodluck finding the comfortable rig.
smile.gif

I have to second the Raven holsters. I have the dun-laps disease. These holsters are thin, hold the gun well and are more comfortable for me than leather. some models offer the ability to conceal IWB or OWB.

I use a S&W 642 in a pocket carry called the nemisis holster. It is the most comfortable carry I have used. If I am wearing something that I can easily conceal a 1911 with then I go with a Dan Wesson CBOB in a OWB leather holster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do NOT get a 1911 unless you are willing to put in allot of time training (as in with real instruction) and practice. If you ain't comfortable with a round in the chamber, hammer back, weapon on safe (condition 1), 1911 is not for you.</div></div>

This always makes me laugh. To fire a 1911 you have 3 safeties. Slide lock, back strap, the trigger itself. Glock, M&P, XD, etc. You have...one. A little crap safety system on the trigger. If your carrying a firearm without a round in the chamber just take it off and leave it at home.

Any firearm you pick is going to be dangerous, there meant to be.

I carry a .40 P239 in a HBE Pro TL at my 5 o'clock. With a Milt Sparks belt, I know it is there, but it doesn't sag. I've been looking at smaller pistols for summer carry, but I haven't had any trouble concealing it in shorts/t shirts.

G19, G23, or 1911 Commander in a Crossbreed IWB in most weather. Been through lots of holsters like most here and you will probably will too.

Any of these guns will hide under a shirt. I buy my pants a bit big to accomodate.

Also a 38 S&W snub either in a front pants pocket or in an ankle holster. I really like the ankle holster but I have to use shoes or hiking type boots that cover the ankle. This keeps the ankle holster from riding too low and showing when you sit down at a restaurant. Utility pants or khakis with roomy legs help as well with this type carry.

Best CCW holsters that I've found is the Crossbreed holster. If you want comfort and deep concealment, then I suggest getting their belt with velcro backing and V-clips. Good luck.