• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CCW Immersion Training 05/05/12 (San Antonio, TX)

BlackStar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2005
Tejas
www.tacticalimmersion.com
TIlogo.jpg

www.tacticalimmersion.com

Tactical Immersion will be conducting a CCW Immersion Training course at Bracken’s Instructor Range in NE San Antonio on the 5th of May of 2012. This is a 1 day (8 hour) long basic to intermediate level course that covers several topics involving concealed carry. This is not a rules, laws or use of force orientated training, or licensing course. This course is focused on developing all of the employment skills needed to carry and use a concealed pistol for defensive purposes. Students will be given a basic skills test prior to training, and given final skills test upon completion of the course. The test scores will be used to show the students their margin of improvement as well as determine successful completion of the course.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Topics include but are not limited to:</span>
• Safety, Range Brief & Combat Mindset
• Concealment Techniques & Equipment
• Tactical Human Anatomy
• Pistol Manipulation
• Fundamentals of Marksmanship
• Rapid Threat Engagement
• Multi Threat Engagement
• Shooting on the Move
• Cover and Concealment
• Defensive Scenarios & Drills

<span style="font-weight: bold">Equipment needed:
</span>• Eye and Ear protection
• Concealed carry pistol (6 round capacity minimum) with 2 magazines (2 speed loaders for revolver)
• 400 rounds of serviceable ammunition (extra 50 rounds is recommended)
• Concealment holster of good quality (no cross draw or shoulder holsters)
• Concealment clothing or garment (what you use for daily carry)
• Weather appropriate, sturdy clothing and good footwear such as hiking boots that provide good ankle support.
• Drinks and snacks (water will be available)
• Knee pads and medical tape for wrapping fingers/hands is recommended.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Primary Instructor:</span>
Joseph Bell is a 10 year veteran of the US Army Infantry and as an NCO he led soldiers during combat operations in Iraq (03-05 & 08-09). He has served as a member of TF-SARG as an advanced weapons and marksmanship, small unit tactics and modern Army combatives instructor for thousands of deploying soldiers. He is also a competitive shooter and was a member of the TF-SARG combat shooting team, winning 1st place in combat pistol during the 2007 Warrior Challenge. Mr. Bell holds several instructor certifications from the US Army, Local and State LEA’s and State & National associations. For more information regarding Mr. Bell’s background, contact him directly at [email protected]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Assistant Instructor(s): </span>
Joe Watson is a veteran of the United State Army, serving as an Infantryman, Scout Sniper, and unit level weapons/marksmanship & MACP instructor. Mr. Watson has several years of real world combat experience and is an exceptional marksman and trainer. Mr. Watson holds several certifications in weapons, tactics and combative training, from federal, state and local/private training entities. Tactical Immersion is proud to have him as a member of our team.

Rick Hammond is veteran of the United States Air Force, serving in one the most important aspects of our nation’s strategic defense network. Much of his work within the USAF is highly classified due to its unique nature, information regarding his background while serving in the USAF will only be disclosed by official request from appropriate agencies. Mr. Hammond is a true patriot and Tactical Immersion is proud to have him as a member of our training and administrative staff.

For more information regarding Mr. Watson or Mr. Hammond’s background, please email me directly at [email protected] with your request.

Course cost is $150.00; Tactical Immersion offers a 10% discount to all (active, reserve & retired) MIL, LE, FIRE and EMS. The discount is also available for single parents and public educators.

Contact Info: [email protected] (210)995-1422

This is a AAR written on another forum regarding the course:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone! On February 25th I had an opportunity to attend Tactical Immersion’s “CCW Immersion” Class. Here I will lay out a brief “hot wash” of why I attended this class, what happened during the class, what gear I used and afterthoughts on the event.

Why Train?

My main motivation began during what became 8 years in the Army training and deploying. I have seen on multiple occasions the dire consequences of failure to plan, prepare and train… in short, it ain’t pretty. I attend training courses as often as possible to enhance and maintain a solid skill set in regards to employing a firearm. It doesn't matter if you’re a high speed cool guy kicking in doors overseas, or a suit and tie accountant that wants to protect his family- as with anything in life you need determination, a plan, education and resources if you want to succeed. I love training and pushing myself, I like seeing good guys win and take pride in preparing myself and others to win. Why not?

Why Tactical Immersion?

I first met Joseph Bell (owner/lead instructor) on February 5th at the Liberty Hill TGT meet. I had done a bit of research prior to heading out there as I had noticed that they would be a sponsor and I’m always looking for more places that provide quality training(ESPECIALLY local). I wanted to get a read on him while out there, and was able to discuss plenty with them during breaks. In short, I liked what I was hearing from them as far as their background, training methodology, current events, etc. They were motivated with solid experience and seemed eager to pass on that information to others. Later on I decided to go out and see first-hand what their classes were like.

You can read more about TI instructors and background here:

Their website: Tactical Immersion

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tacti...wall&filter=12

Description of the class, from their website: “This course is designed for individuals who carry a concealed pistol and that want to further their skill level to better prepare themselves for the possibility of a life or death encounter. A common factor in modern state authorized concealed handgun licensing programs is that individuals will NOT be trained in the use of that handgun. What many individuals find is that it is not a handgun training course, but more of a rules and laws training course with a handgun proficiency qualification. Many newly licensed individuals end up either learning through other training programs on how to actually use their pistol in a defensive poster, or simply carry their pistol blissfully without further training. This course emphasizes on the training aspects that are not part of the basic licensing course and focuses on developing individuals in the finer aspects of using a pistol for defense. Students can expect to become fully confident in their ability to use their concealed pistol to defend themselves, their loved ones or their property.”

This is not a CHL licensing class. I’ve had my CHL since 2009 and that class was mostly laws, regulations, etc. There was little information on the proper application of a firearm in self-defense. I shot an absolutely perfect score on the qual, and I did not see any students fail despite some nasty looking targets… which for me indicated that it absolutely was not pushing students to shoot better. It’s essentially enough to ensure you can shoot in the bad guy’s general direction and not hit yourself in the foot.
The CHL licensing course IS NOT enough to prepare you to defend yourself. Carrying a firearm is, in reality, a large responsibility. A miss on the range after a five second presentation is merely an oopsie; a miss in a violent encounter can mean hitting someone other than your intended target- I don’t need to explain why this is bad. Additionally, it is not a good thing for society when someone tries to save the day with their cool guns and gear, and the bad guy just ends up trumping you… and now is running around with your cool gun and gear while you’re bleeding to death on the ground.

Getting started:

The day started with the instructors greeting everyone and we got started with a safety/medical brief. It was direct and clear; the fundamental safety rules were laid out and described as well as a medical plan in case someone became injured in any way during training. After that, students gathered their gear and the range was set up in preparation for the first event.
Training started with an initial shooting test in which the instructors used as a baseline to see how students could perform on demand. There were three separate strings of fire, all from concealment and on the timer. From here accuracy over speed was continually stressed as time penalties for misses were absolutely devastating. No matter how fast, misses do not turn the odds in your favor. Of course, this sounds like common sense but if you observe a lot of "tactical" shooters at a public range they clearly do not have a firm grasp on this reality. I think the initial test was eye opening for most of the class. Once the entire class shot the qual and times were recorded, Joe brought us in for a quick discussion on the qual as well as a down and dirty hit analysis and a lecture on anatomy as it pertains to shot placement.

Brilliance in the basics:

I believe that there is no such thing as an advanced shooter. The best shooters simply perform the fundamentals consistently and on demand and under stress. Most of the top trainers in the country push this concept, and indeed it is the methodology used to forge the best combat shooters in the military. Fundamentals. You can't get by without them. During the initial qual it became clear that many students were having issues with weapon manipulation and reloads, here Joe presented his logic and solutions as they pertained to individual errors. He covered the basics to include grip, trigger control, sight picture, body positioning and breathing. He discussed handgun presentation and reloads for IWB, OWB and different concealment garments.

When in doubt: grip, sights, trigger- remember that easy checklist and perform all of them reasonably well, you’ll be rewarded with good hits on target.

From there we shot several drills incorporating presentations from the holster, reloads and group shooting to hone trigger control. We also worked presentations from strong and support hand only- good stuff. You could REALLY see shot groups opening up during support hand only fire, and this really was an eye opener for students. Joe continued working the line and provided input for shooters, and surely enough groups were dialing in. Frequently, if someone was having extensive issues he’d stay to ensure their problems were addressed and shooting cleaned up- good stuff.

Shooting positions were covered to include: kneeling, prone, rollover prone, and supine. After ensuring all students had a good grasp on that, movement was addressed.

The class opted for a short 20-30 minute lunch break so that we could stuff some more training in. I believe all instructors and students stayed on site. We discussed training, asked questions, loaded mags and stuffed our faces- pretty standard stuff.
After lunch the pace picked up dramatically, we immediately progressed further into shooting on the move and multiple target engagement. Again, some students were pushing too fast on the trigger and Joe continually re-emphasized accuracy before speed.

Room work:

While this was not a CQB class, we did have a mock room set up and Joe went through the basics of entering and clearing a singular room by yourself. These skills are important, should your home become invaded and you have to secure loved ones, or if you are out in public and need to fight your way to exit a building. Several scenarios were set up and students took turns approaching, opening the door, slicing the pie and entering the room. I think when students encountered hostage targets, they really began to understand the importance of being able to place surgical shots on target. Joe again carefully walked each student through the scenarios and provided feedback, guidance and critique along the way.

Wrapping up:

The final training event of the day was to re-shoot the qualifications that we were introduced to at the beginning of the day. This was obviously to gauge performance and to allow instructors and students to see how much they had improved throughout the course. After I shot my second qual, I stood back and observed other students. I noticed that there was a dramatic increase in the accuracy of hits across the board. Some students had indeed come a long way and it was a delight to watch those hits shrink down to respectable and combat effective. I’m sure an instructor or another student can chime in as to exact numbers and percentages, I do not have that information as of right now. I also noticed students performing with increased confidence and efficiency in handgun presentation, body movement mechanics and weapons manipulation. Very, very cool.

From there, we broke down the range and gathered up to do an informal AAR of the class. Joe encouraged students to provide him with honest feedback and thoughts from the day, both positive and negative were welcome. It was quick and productive and I’d heard many students commenting on how much they’d learned and how much work they need to do in the future. Morale and enthusiasm was high throughout the class and students left wanting more- ALWAYS a good sign!

Gear:

There were a variety of handguns and support equipment in the class. Handguns were chambered in 9mm, .40, .45ACP and possibly others. I saw Glock, M&P, XDs, a P30 and a 1911. Methods of carry were IWB, OWB and two of us used appendix carry. There were initially several students fighting with their gear and clothing during presentations and re-holstering. My suggestion here is to do your research, buy good gear, know it well and train until these processes become subconscious. A good holster, mag pouches and belt go a long way in comfort/concealment as well as efficiency and safety when employing your weapon.

My personal gear list was as follows:
- Gun/ Ammo: Glock 19 Gen3 with Warren sights. Ammo was Federal and UMC 115 grain FMJ and Speer 124 grain +P JHP. After much trial and error, the medium framed Glocks have become my number one choice for most applications. They are versatile and dependable for anything from concealed carry to uniformed duty use. They are more accurate than many people think; I have taken them out to 100 yards on Larue reduced size steel silhouettes with good results. I had an identical backup gun on hand, but was not needed.
- Belt: 5.11 leather.
- Holster: Cane and Derby AIWB
- Mag pouch: Raven Concealment
- MSA/Sordin earpro.
- Eyepro: Oakley Halfjacket
- Footwear: Asolo boots

All of these items I’ve used extensively and have come to appreciate and suggest to others as well. When I select gear, aside from something robust and proven- I try to select items that will fit multiple roles. Ideally, you want one club that will allow you to play the whole course.

Final Thoughts:

In closing, people who know me are aware that I simply do not endorse things I don’t highly believe in. My primary focus remains the combat and defensive arena. To succeed there you need good people, good equipment and good training or you are setting yourself up for failure. I am confidently able to recommend this course to those who wish to employ a handgun in a defensive role; regardless of background or experience. I’ve come to like the guys at Tactical Immersion as they are experienced, educated and ethical- qualities I find mandatory when looking at instructors. They have clearly worked hard to produce a modern, well rounded curriculum. Their heads are in the game and are working hard to continually refine their training. I really like that. In the case of this class, there is only so much you can cover in an 8 hour block of instruction but they do a great job of using that time wisely. I also understand that most people have a busy life and can only dedicate so much time/resources to individual training sessions. If you’re looking to improve your skills behind the gun, check ‘em out. You will be very pleased with that decision and signing up can be your first step to becoming more prepared! </div></div>

Our CCW Immersion students average a 150% to 200% performance increase in speed & accuracy by use of the basic skills test. We have had students improve as much as 610% from beginning to end of this 8 hour course. Some of the more advanced shooters that have attended have had as much as 375% performance increase in their speed & accuracy. Needless to say, this is a very good course for all levels and will increase your abilities greatly.

<span style="color: #FF0000">We are updating our website, schedule and registration & payment process. If you would like to sign up for this course, contact us via email and we will get you lined out.</span>

Re: CCW Immersion Training 05/05/12 (San Antonio, TX)

bump.... Getting close to the end of the month and this class is not meeting the minimum attendance. I need to get a few more people registered or I am going to have to cancel this one. If you are interested in taking this class, send me an email or PM and I will work you a deal…
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Much of his work within the USAF is highly classified due to its unique nature, information regarding his background while serving in the USAF will only be disclosed by official request from appropriate agencies.</div></div>Seriously... That you can't disclose anything to laypeople about a CCW instructor because of national security concerns?

No what it says is that his work in the USAF will not be disclosed unless it is from a official agency request (i.e. Federal agency memorandum requesting his USAF experience biography, based on a program of instruction of his specialty and that he will be instructing based off of his experience while in the USAF). The listing of his veteran status from service in the USAF is in no way an attempt to sell the CCW Immersion course. The CCW Immersion program is not a course that he is a lead instructor of, he may or may not assist with this class (depending on the overall size of the class).
His background with the CCW Immersion course is:
• He assisted in the development and review of the POI.
• He has attended the course as a student and assisted with it several times.
• He is a Tactical Immersion range safety officer and assist me on the line with ensuring student are safe.
• He has assisted me with instructing various pistol training courses of large and small groups for several years and is an excellent shooter coach.
• He is one of the administrative managers for Tactical Immersion.

His primary instructional role within the company is as a driving instructor and improvised mechanical vehicle repair (or expedient field repair) instructor, he also may start instructing a new program in development that will not be open to general attendence. His secondary instructional role is to assist in pistol training programs as needed. His management duties are general in nature; however, his primary management reasonability is to ensure proper data calculations, for both performance and feedback. He also assists with general review and feedback of newly developed programs, as well as advising me on business and financial concerns.

Other: He likes dogs, he likes old cars and hotrods, he likes Glock pistols, and he enjoys learning gun-smithing and all types of firearms training. I think his favorite ice cream is vanilla, and I know he hates cheese.
cool.gif