• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shedding new light(s) on things.

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    Recently, I attended a Handgun Low Light Strategies and Tactics course with Spartan Tactical Training Group (STTG) I took an original Surefire Z2 combat light thinking it would be adequate. It wasn't.
    I ended up buying a Streamlight from the instructors to get through the course with a decent light. (STTG have been excellent at supplying, modifying and repairing other students kit to get the most out of various courses .)
    The Streamlight was much better but I did not like nor need the strobe function. During the qualification portion the strobe activated when I least wanted it too.

This put me on a search for an upgrade for the old Z2. A bit of Google fu turned me on to a drop in replacement head from Malkoff Devices. I contacted them via email and they responded shortly, recommending thier M61 SHO (750 lumens, 11000 candela).

Night and day difference! (Pun intended).

The course also gave me a chance to compare newer Surefire, Streamlight, Modlight, and Cloud Defense. A new Cloud Defense is in the work$$ for the future. But my old Z2 will find a secondary spot at home or in the car.

Next is a Surefire M600DF with a Modlite PLHv2 head. I got a blem from Modlite for $125ish. Again the Modlite has a more focused spot for distance and alot more usable "spill" for lighting up a room.

Maybe some of these side by side comparison photos will help others pick the right light for thier needs.

20231212_135525.jpg
    20231212_135348.jpg
    20231209_142748.jpg
    20231209_142841.jpg

Reactions: Keith E.