• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDI bottom metal on FN PBR problem

JeffLebowski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
VA
AI 308 mag won't fit due to the receiver on the PBR. Is this common, or do I have the wrong combo of parts?

That's weird. CDI used to have a big and bold disclaimer concerning their bottom metal and FN SPR/PBR actions needing some milling. All I found when I went to check the sight was a small blurb in the FAQ.

To answer your question: Yes it is common, and why I don't own CDI bottom metal. Didn't want to void my warranty having the action milled.

The only bottom metal that will work with the FN is their TBM with their proprietary mags. AI mags require some very minor customization of the action.

Not sure if the new PTG DBM for FN has some kind of work around, but if it uses AI mags I doubt it.

CDI can do the milling, it's a very tiny amount of material at the from of the receiver opening, that's all. Any smith that's familiar with FNs can do it in 5 minutes.

In addition to having CDI do it, as an alternative I recommend Accurate Ordnance for all things Win/FN, their work is impeccable.

PM Bookhound (Mark at AO) if you really want the technical explanation.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. If you have a local smith you trust he could even do it after a quick call to CDI or a little Internet research on how the cuts are placed.

The PTG uses the AI AE MK I Mags which are narrower no milling needed. The CDI will need a bit of milling but it is quite minor.

Gents, I sincerely appreciate the timely and informative responses. Will probably be contacting CDI.

Jeff did mine, no worries, no fuss and back to me in no time. He will also inlet the stock if you need.