• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CDI metal on FN

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I looked but could not find if anyone had posted about this. Has anyone had an experience with the CDI metal on a FN SPR? I am looking at getting a SPR with a hinged floor plate and want a box magazine. Been looking at the CDI and PTG but haven't seen a lot about one on the FN. Thanks for the help.

Unless FN changed something the front of the action needs a slight clearance cut to clear the AI / AICS magazine in the front.
    CDI can do it for you or its easy to do yourself if you are handy with tools. My rifle was a factory DBM model before switching to the CDI bottom metal.

[video=youtube;jxHh-qnI30A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHh-qnI30A[/video]

Will the TBM kit fit the hinged floor plate?

I have CDI bottom metal installed on several FN platforms, one being a complete SAC build. They can inlet the stock and modify the action to fit their bottom metal as well give them a call Jeff and Pam are great people to work with. I believe they are currently running and inlet special for Hiders.

Does the magazine slop around a lot or have they fixed that?

Oh they've fixed that. What you do is put some rounds in the magazine.
    Or, when the mag is empty you can take it out and that works pretty good too.

Unless FN changed something the front of the action needs a slight clearance cut to clear the AI / AICS magazine in the front.
    CDI can do it for you or its easy to do yourself if you are handy with tools. My rifle was a factory DBM model before switching to the CDI bottom metal.

[video=youtube;jxHh-qnI30A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHh-qnI30A[/video]

How much metal do they remove?

It's minimal metal actually removed, it's more of adding a radius in the corner of the action to clear the square edge of the AICS magazine. Some people really freak out at the thought of adding a clearance cut but the end result is worth the effort.
    AI mags are pretty much the gold standard for fit & function and FN should just do the mod at the factory and do everyone a favor. FN has a crappy record of supplying magazines (to civvies anyway ) and the minute I could convert my SPR to the AI magazines I did so and never looked back.

Good informative thread really helps me with the decision to use cdi or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the magazine slop around a lot or have they fixed that?

No slop on mine.
    The only complaint I have read about the CDI bottom metal is some users felt the mag release lever is too long and could snag. I have no complaints with mine and it's easier to make something shorter than longer if desired.