• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CDI v Badger M5

Re: CDI v Badger M5

There both aluminum and take AICS mags
laugh.gif

I guess Badger should have put a patent on it...

To me it looks like it comes down to price, Badger is, and always has been , very expensive..

The trigger guard on the CDI is quite large, I would say the same if not comparable in size to the Badger.

In my opinion, Badgers are far superior in quality. Both in design and finish.

They look similar but are not the same. If you then factor in that Badgers come with an AI mag and CDIs do not, the Badger is the only way to go(between the two).

Badgers come with pillars, are set to a specific length, and they just work after that. You can push up on the mag and the bolt still runs over it, you can pull down on it and it still feeds. The CDIs are not always that way. You push up on the mag and it stops the bolt. The finish rubs off easily. Most of the ones I've seen the finish was rubbing off before the metal even saw use. they claim to sometimes needs latch adjustment. Have fun with the roll pin and the tight aluminum hole.

Buy Badger and dont look back.
Or Seekins, Surgeon, and some others...

Seekins are very easy to inlet for. And have a nice side push button. Good feeding like the Badger.

The Surgeon is thumbs up all around, like the Badger and Seekins.

That is my honest opinion. I think it is a fair comparison.

+1 for CDI.

Mine has been excellent out of the box, on the rifle and at the range. No issues with fit or finish. Its nice to have options and CDI is an excellent one to choose.

Neither, I can buy an Atlas Worx bottom metal WITH a 10rd AI the same price as the CDI bottom metal alone. And guess what is the craziest part?? It holds the mag just like any other dbm. If you dont like the anodizing that scratches easily, fix it. Its not that big of a deal. Jmho..
smile.gif

The badger unit is way more durable and heavier built. You get what you pay for. Ive never broken a Badger.

Buy Badger, Seekins, Surgeon. Whichever look and function you like better.

Badger. Nicest I've seen yet and I've installed a lot of them from every vendor out there. So it seems anyway.

If you ever want billet steel hinged plates I've got em now.

$325.00

No tig'n the front/rear halves together like some. These are one piece.

Good luck.

C.

Badger may be a little more aesthetically appealing. It seems to fit most stocks better. The M5 looks more like it was made to fit than the CDI (on some stocks). I do have a CDI on a T3 and am perfectly happy with it so far. I do think the Badger M5 holds mags a little more precisely.
I did not do the install so I have no idea about which is better there.
There does seem to be a much broader application from CDI as they fit Tikka, Savage, Winchester, and maybe a few others I can't recall.

I just built a Savage with a CDI that works fine.
The only negative in my opinion is that if you push up on the mag, it stops the bolt. But thats not too big a concern to not use one for a non-Remington brand.
It can be fixed with a small piece of aluminum or rubber put in the right place.

For Remington though... the Badger I can push/pull on that mag in any direction and it works.
Can rest the rifle on the mag if one has to in a pinch.

For me ,I had to buy CDI because of the rifle FN SPR,however the finish on the CDI bottom basically just rubbed off onto my fingers ,so I had to have it Cerakoted.My Remington has Badger bottom metal, and between the two Badger wins hands down for fit and finish.I wont be buying another CDI.......

I have a BO M5 and I have Jeff's bottom metal (CDI), both on Remmys. They're pretty close to me. No issues with finish coming off or what have you on the CDI. No issues with mags either.

Badger! Wouldn't go with CDI unless I owned a rifle that only CDI made the DBM for.

I have two rifles with CDI metal and have had no issues to date. Guess I got lucky or mine were installed correctly.