• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Center Point Precision Optics

dtkutchu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Macomb, MI
I was looking at a new scope to go on a new Remington 700sps. I came across a Center Point Precision Optics 4-16x40mm Adventure Class scope. It has an illuminated mil-dot reticle and costs $70 and comes with rings and flip covers. It has windage and elevation 1/4 MOA turrets.

Has anyone ever owned or seen one of these? I took it out and it seems decent. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

Devin

Re: Center Point Precision Optics

I have one. I use it when I get a new rifle. That way I can shoot it while I save for a better optic. It held up to my .30-06. I wouldnt use it for anything serious.

4-16x40mm front AO Adventure Class scope, from Wal Mart. Stay away, glass is cloudy/milky at best. 16x is dark. Parallax adjustment is poor at it's best. AO min @ 5 yds, max @ 100yds Eye placement is very picky and with gray shadows. if not just right? I get a glare on the eyepiece. I put one on my remington 700 sps v .223 to try the red/green IR. Lasted about and hour and then put my swfa ss 10x42 rear ao back on. You really don't know what you got till it's gone? Would make a good airsoft scope/paper weight?

BTW I forgot to mention that the mil dot reticle is canted, very obvious when mounted on a rifle, looks retarded?

I just did side by side comparism of tasco tactical, center point and 3 super snipers with a eye chart @ 100 yds last week. The all set at 10X (except the 20X SS) I found the SS and center points about the same in glass image quality. All were better than the tasco which after reading all the buzz here was a big dissappointment. I have used 2 center points all winter long on my .22 have been very happy with thier tracking with the dials, I have them zeroed @ 50 and have to come up I think .4 or 6 @100(got it written down in data book) And they have tracked perfectly, and the widage has been good also. For the price and if it is not a matter of life and death. Get the center point, if you do not like it take them back to wallmart.

I have had 3 experiances with them. On person bought it for a 30-06 and it didnt keep a zero so he put it on his AR-10 and it was fine. Teh second put one on his Rem SPS Varmit and it didn't hold a zero and it now resides on a 22. The 3rd was bought for a air rifle and it worked fine. But I have herd other people say thay they will hold a zero on the .30 bolt guns. I really dont have an opinion. The reticle is cool. That is jus tmy experiances.

Some thing must be wrong with your ss's, my centerpoint can't see 22 holes in targets @ 50 yards. If you like the centerpoint's by all means buy em? It's like day and night difference to me?

My first centerpoint, the turrets were loose and wobbled, now the second the mil dot reticle is canted.

YOu must be selling centerpoints ?

Seems that the consensus is against buying it.
Thanks all for your input!

Condor22 Not selling CP but got a couple SS that are about to go;) Nice personal attack with ur 5 post credibility. I suspect you have something wrong with your CP or eyes. Take chill pill we talking about $70.

In terms of holding zero I have had zero problems no pun intended and I am not known for being easy on equipment. But they are just on training .22s

LOL. kind of response expected. No eye problems, guess big problem with centerpoint. yes 70$ that could be spent on better equipment.

Pmsg me with what ss you have for sale. Willin to trade for a centerpoint?

BTW What's 5 posts got to do with anyway?

Sam

Buddy of mine has one on a Savage 10FP .308. Has held up for hundreds of rounds. The rings that come with it are junk, but the scope isnt *horrible* for what you pay for. I have heard of many people having problems with the scope such as bad reticles, broken knobs etc, but a quick trip to walmart will get you a new one.

Why not spend $140 and go with a Mueller APT if you are on a budget? I am happy with mine, and its way better than a CP.

I never thought I would see the day on Sniper's Hide when people with single digit post counts are comparing $70.00 Walmart scopes and someone with 200 posts would call out someone with 5 posts as a noob.

Get the shark tank filled I'm warming up the motorcycle.

I guess I'm a single digit noob. I did call call someone out saying a 70 $ walmart centerpoint had as good optics as a 300 $ SWFA SS, then so be it. I have em both side by side and stated my opinion?

My apology if offended someone? Ha Ha this is a good joke, I'll be moving on now. Thanks.

Sam

condor22 its all good, I am sorry also, the other thought I had is there is probably a larger range of QC in these cheaper scopes. I had that thought when I used that tasco that I had a shitty one last week. But it was a side by side comparisom guess we both could have stated your results may very.

I have one on my BTVS .22LR.

They are pretty close to the bottom on the optics chain. The "locking turrets" will strip pretty easy if you aren't careful.

The glass was clear enough for the price. I can most definitely see .22 cal holes at 50 yards.

I am not an optics snob. I buy the gear to fit the mission. The mission of my BTVS is to have fun. When I get tired of messing with the Center Point I will ditch it and install a higher grade scope.

I've got one on my Savage 12FV in .223 and one on my Savage Mark II BTV in .22LR.

Both keep their zero even after turning the knobs to their max elevation and the .223 one has handled all my hunting in the past couple years.

The cons would be it's a SFP and the illumination on the reticle seems to make the mil dots blurry/hard to read. The rings that come with it are kinda high, but if they'll match up with your iron sights then it might be useful that way.

For $70 it works well for my needs, mainly target shooting and hunting.

you get what you pay for, $70, will get you a $70 scope, next step save save save, then buy a decent scope, Leopould Nightforce, or go nuts and get yourself a USO and see what you get for around $2500

someone here shoots 600y matches with his, he said he likes it. id been thinking about one for a 22. buy it, test it, let us know. walmart will give you your $70 back

I have one on my .22 winchester wildcat. it was better than i expected. i counted total 60moa elevation and 60moa windage. the mildot is not to spec but for plinking purposes it does the job. the illumination is really bright. i use the min setting in lowlight areas.

I bought one this past summer to put on a new rifle till the Pentax i ordered arrived. It isn't a Pentax or leupold but I liked it enough to put it on my 4 wheeler rifle. It bounced around on the front of mine or my daughters four wheeler every weekend from Aug to Feb. Never had to rezero. My dang Leupold on the other hand, i had to rezero but that could be because I rolled the 4 wheeler. Buy it till you can save up for something better.

As said, it is a $70 scope. I had one on a .22 for a while and am happy with it. If you understand that it is a $70 scope and expect it to perform like a $70 scope, you will be happy with it.

That said, its current role is a "Pirate Scope" for my 2 year old. I will say that letting your 2 year old son play with gear is a pretty strong test of its durability.

If the only options are letting your rifle sit in the safe or putting a $70 scope on it and shooting, go to Wal Mart. Don't expect it to bo more then a temporary solution though.

I have 4 of them..yes, 4 of them...i was impressed by the way my first held up that I bought three more..call me cheap, but im not shooting people with guns pointed at me, so im not real worried about it...when it comes to shooting people shooting at me, then ill get something better...

I just completed a week of a very hard core three week sniper class, during the first week a police officer had his windage knob come off his luppy, the only extra scope around was a center point that was on a .22, he put it on his .308, and beat the shit out of it for the week before I got there and the week I was there. It held its zero, the mils and dials both tracked and he made many hits out to thousand yards. There was at least one stalk per day and lots of running and guning the scope was not babied at all. I know he will replace it when he gets his luppy fixed but it sure impressed me.

I own three of the 4-16 CP's. Two reside on rimfire rifles & one is a spare that has seen many rounds mounted on a 308, .223 bolt guns & a AR15. I feel that the Center Point scope is good for the money.

i borrowed a friends 4-16 CP that he had mounted on an AR-15.
I mounted it on my .308 and it will not hold zero at all.
I tried to adjust to zero, and tried again. POI is twice as far as the adjustment input. Shot again with no adjustment, POI moved again. Needless to say, point of aim and point of impact kept moving all over.
I basically comfirmed what the owner of the scope had suspected.
He shot all over the place too. This center point makes a good paperweight, period.

or good on a pellet gun
smile.gif

even a pellet gun would have problems with this scope.

it would have a POBI (point of barn impact)

Have one on an old .22 that goes to the range every weekend. Holds zero fine, and see my holes all the way too 100(as far as I've taken the .22). Usually used on 10x, gets cloudy around the edges from 14 up. Works great for a $70 cheap scope. as stated above, you get what you pay for, and your experience WILL vary. If it will get you shooting, use it 'til you can upgrade. Worst case, it's a POS and you return it to Wally Word.

I recommend $70.00 Centerpoint scopes. It was much clearer and tracked better than my previous scope:

Scope_2478.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">didn't i see that in "Back to the Future 3"
wink.gif
</div></div>

Someone actually recreated it.
crazy.gif

i've put a couple hundred 243 rounds through one and then put it on a 17hmr. I've had it for 4 years and i am convinced u can't beat it for under $175. Now from what i've read they may be hit and miss on the quality and i have never cranked on the knobs much but for $70 bucks it just can not be beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend $70.00 Centerpoint scopes. It was much clearer and tracked better than my previous scope:

Scope_2478.jpg

</div></div>

Lets see if we can Talk John III into making some of those !!! Can we get NV and a IR Flood included?

I have that exact optic on my AR but it is only a stopgap until I can get something better. The reason I got it in the first place was a bud gave it to me for 50. Mine has actually been pretty amazing for what it is. zero has been dead on for quite a while, even through some..."stock maintenance" that involved a dead blow hammer and quite a bit of ooommpphh. The next time I shot it zero hadn't moved one iota. I was quite surprised, I would have expected a Leupy to shift a bit after that much vibration.

With all that said, the guys who've had one and chased zero all the way to opticsplanet are probably correct too.

Basically, cheap optics are like buying a lottery ticket...most are losers but every now and then you get a good one. My 50 dollar lottery ticket worked out well...don't be surprised if yours doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freedomfighter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Basically, cheap optics are like buying a lottery ticket...most are losers but every now and then you get a good one. My 50 dollar lottery ticket worked out well...don't be surprised if yours doesn't. </div></div>

Nicely put ... my Lotto Falcon Menace Tickets were both losers ...

I've been using one on my .22 trainer. Yeah, the glass sucks, the clicks pretty much suck, but it seems to be track well enough for my uses. Just my experience.

I had one on a .17 hmr as a rabbit gun, didn't want to bang up any good optics goofing around in the field. As others have said the glass is dodgy but it works well enough at the lower powers.

However, on the 3rd trip out the zero went wildly wrong about half way through my day, almost 1.5" right @ 50 yards when I finally setup a target to see WTF was happening with my shooting. Tried to dial it back but the turret was broken inside, it would turn freely and not make any adjustments.

I got mine on sale stupidly cheap and it worked about as well as I had thought. Now I know not to do that again.

OK, here is the deal. It is your fundage, use it as you see fit. I actually bought the 4-16x40 CP scope to go on my boy's Mossberg .22lr Plinkster. But I ended up putting it on my low budget Stevens Hunter/Tactical build just to try it out.

Guess what... the scope is STILL on the Stevens and doing quite well. I was actually surprised about how well this thing tracked, and mine is optically very nice.

On another note, I was more than surprised to find out it had 74MOA of travel on the turrents. $70 well spent???? You better believe it.

DK

Sittin on the Stevens...
Stvns004.jpg

Punchin holes like this...
SmileyB.jpg