• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Centerfire Pistol Cans

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    Anyone have any favorites they like to run? I have a HK USP Tactical and a Mark 23 (both 45), and a few 9s I’d have to get threaded barrels for if I decided to go that route.

I'm partial to the Dead Air Ghost. Short or long configurations, easy to disassemble for cleaning (most baffles are easy to clean in a tumbler with SS pins). I use it on FN 45tac and 509 tac. very happy with it. They just moved to a new manufacturing facility so cans and parts are just now starting to ship again and most of the delays in parts should be gone soon.

Thank you for the referral. Any opinions on the Sig 45 SRD?

Also looking at the Rugged Obsidian 45

CGS Nautilus 45 (us) is lighter, quieter, balances much better, and is the same length as the Obsidian 45. Don't bother considering the SRD45, it's loud, it's not the same baffle type as the SRD9. If you want a 9mm can the CGS MOD 9 is also lighter, quieter, balances much better, and is shorter than the Obsidian 9. It's also quieter than the Obsidian 45 when firing 9mm through it. There are plenty of people that own all three that can attest to that, it's been posted on multiple forums in the past.

Both CGS silencers use a stainless blast baffle and aluminum forward baffles. Less cleaning options for the forward aluminum baffles is the only downside for the people that consider that a downside. It's really easy to clean by hand or with a soda blaster, just knock out the large chunks and keep shooting. It's a simple trade off for the better sound reduction, weight reduction, and far better balance which is particularly important on handguns. We've found barely anyone actually uses the modular feature of silencers past determining which size they want and sticking with it, especially once they dedicate it to a specific host firearm. For 45ACP most every always uses it in the long configuration unless sometimes a person is using it in the short config as a 9mm silencer or as a wet 45ACP silencer which is rare beyond the novelty of trying it at the range a couple times.

CGS Nautilus 45 (us) is lighter, quieter, balances much better, and is the same length as the Obsidian 45. Don't bother considering the SRD45, it's loud, it's not the same baffle type as the SRD9. If you want a 9mm can the CGS MOD 9 is also lighter, quieter, balances much better, and is shorter than the Obsidian 9. It's also quieter than the Obsidian 45 when firing 9mm through it. There are plenty of people that own all three that can attest to that, it's been posted on multiple forums in the past.

Both CGS silencers use a stainless blast baffle and aluminum forward baffles. Less cleaning options for the forward aluminum baffles is the only downside for the people that consider that a downside. It's really easy to clean by hand or with a soda blaster, just knock out the large chunks and keep shooting. It's a simple trade off for the better sound reduction, weight reduction, and far better balance which is particularly important on handguns. We've found barely anyone actually uses the modular feature of silencers past determining which size they want and sticking with it, especially once they dedicate it to a specific host firearm. For 45ACP most every always uses it in the long configuration unless sometimes a person is using it in the short config as a 9mm silencer or as a wet 45ACP silencer which is rare beyond the novelty of trying it at the range a couple times.

I took a look at your can on silencershop, but I don’t see options for different pistons other than 578. Is this incorrect?

I was in your shoes about six months ago OP. When it comes to cans I can't stand all the regulatory BS so I want the most reliable, best engineered can possible. With rifle cans it's easy - buy TBAC and sleep easy. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a clear leader in pistol cans. That being said, the Rugged Obsidian seems to have lots of advocates and few if any detractors, so that's what I bought. It's currently in jail. Good luck in your quest.

I took a look at your can on silencershop, but I don’t see options for different pistons other than 578. Is this incorrect?

A .578x28 piston comes with the Nautilus 45 by default. Other pistons are bought separately if needed.

I was looking at the Rugged Obsidian and the Dead Air Ghost.
    After handling both the Ghost seemed to be balanced just a little better to me.
    So, I have it in jail now.

I researched the CGS but just didn't want to get a can that has all aluminum baffles.

Reactions: SpeedyR
    Although it cant be taken apart, I've had alot of fun with my Silencerco Osprey 45. Pretty light, and have had good performance on several pistols and my 9mm SBR.

I was looking at the Rugged Obsidian and the Dead Air Ghost.
    After handling both the Ghost seemed to be balanced just a little better to me.
    So, I have it in jail now.

I researched the CGS but just didn't want to get a can that has all aluminum baffles.

It doesn't have all aluminum baffles. It has a stainless steel blast baffle and the rest are anodized aluminum.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    I was only referring to the forward baffles.

I have a Surefire Ryder 22. I love the can but I can not explain how much I hate cleaning the aluminum baffles in that thing.
    I realize that a .22 is much dirtier than a centerfire but it's a bad taste that will be hard to remove.
    Even though the Ghost has some aluminum there should be enough stainless baffles to take most of the carbon.