• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Centershot Bipod

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
I had the opportunity to put John Weil's & Joe Huddleston bipod to use this weekend for the first time. I had hoped to buy one of the newer Sinclairs, but when I got an email from John stating he was building more and had also dropped the price, I took the plunge. The bipod is lightweight, and very robust, I didn't have a front rail so I attached it by other means. I used a small protector rear bag (#14) and the bipod tracked very well even though the skids were merely sitting on the front of my pad. Its an excellent product and anyone considering a quality bipod should give the Centershot a look.
Marty

Re: Centershot Bipod

Saw mjh's bipod last weekend, it is very slick looking and keeps the rifle very low to the ground.
i forgot to ask if it is made with carbon fiber and how much it is now?

Chris, yes carbon fiber, I think 18 ounces total weight and it was 309 shipped.

The 18 oz think has me thinking I may want to cancel my Sinclair order, I'm guessing that it is heavier than that, and then some. I'm a little concerned about weight on the rifle I'm planning for next yr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will it attach to a pic rail?</div></div>
They modify it to attach to pic rail for an additional $35. I asked one of the company owners that same question not long ago.

XTR, sorry 18 1/2 ounces on the Centershot, the older Sinclairs were apparently 36 ounces, I may be wrong with that weight. I was under the impression the new Sinclairs were significantly lower in weight than the older models, by as much as a pound but I can't seem to find any information on the new bipods weight. Chiller, yes you can order the bipod from John with that will directly attach to a picatinny rail.

I'm wanting to try to get a 32 inch tube on the rifle I want to get built over the winter, obviously weight is a concern. I ordered the Sinclair but I'm betting it's still two pounds. At 18.5 the Centershot looks like it may be what I'm looking for, that and it actually looks more like a bipod than the Sinclair, it looks more like a gate than a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but I can't seem to find any information on the new bipods weight </div></div>

The nonadjustable Sinclair model should be about 1.5 pounds and the adjustable model should be about 1.8 pounds.

thanx Marty. I may have to get one of those, the harris is getting a little too bouncy for my taste.

How does the ability to load the Centershot compare with something like an Atlas V8 or Harris BRM?

Thanks for the input, that's what I thought from its appearance. Just out of curiosity, with its fairly light weight, how do you prevent (minimize) muzzle hop if you can't load it?

The same way you deal with it on a Harris... work on your position and natural point of aim to where the gun recoils (mostly) straight back.

gstaylorg, I have both a Harris (pod-loc, claws etc) and an Atlas V8, but I really have to say, the way I am using the Centershot is completely different than how I would use any standard bipod. No downward pressure, just a little forward pressure on the buttstock and the gun really does seem to want to come straight back at you with no real hop. That was my first time using it and I had read several articles on the what to expect. I made some adjustments and I got the results I was looking for.

If you get your natural point of aim you can watch you bullet trace into the target at 800yd & back, 600 if you have a good position.

JW

mjh,
Thanks for your response. I have used both Harris and Atlas for some time and I have never been able to remove all the "hop" no matter what position I'm in unless I load the bipod. I understand that correct positioning is key and it's not that the hop is all that bad. Unless I'm really out of position, it's not so severe that I lose the sight picture, even with very light loading. However, I was curious how one of these would work with no loading at all. What you're describing with the Centershot sounds as though it's lining up very nicely with the rifle's center of mass and rotation when you fire. Main reason I'd like to try something like this is because of the fact that the line at my range is gravel and I think the wider footprint might help a bit with that. Thanks again for your input.

a good position and keeping the shoulders relaxed helps big time in reducing rifle hopping around.

Most of the shooters using the CenShot use some sort of support under the pod. A piece of carpet, cutting board or plywood. I use a piece of carpet (close nap). If your matt has flap on it, that can be used. If used on loose gravel it will tend to sink in. I have used it on grass without anything. If shooting on concrete always use something between the concrete & the feet.

JW

Hi everyone

I also had the chance to shoot with a censhot today on my trg22 with 185 Bergers.

I am used to shooting FTR with the trg bipod and shoot it with a modest degree of forward load on the bipod with good results.

With the censhot I tried various grips but the shots were all over the target at 900 yards. The best results appeared to be when I let the rifle recoil back into my shoulder with little grip, but I still shot the odd elevation shot more than half moa from center. Can people who have figured out the shooting technique with the censhot and heavier bullets perhaps comment in more detail on what works for you please?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JvT_404</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone

I also had the chance to shoot with a censhot today on my trg22 with 185 Bergers.

I am used to shooting FTR with the trg bipod and shoot it with a modest degree of forward load on the bipod with good results.

With the censhot I tried various grips but the shots were all over the target at 900 yards. The best results appeared to be when I let the rifle recoil back into my shoulder with little grip, but I still shot the odd elevation shot more than half moa from center.

Can people who have figured out the shooting technique with the censhot and heavier bullets perhaps comment in more detail on what works for you please?

Thanks</div></div>

Good question.

Got my Censhot from John today (thanks, John). Will go out to the range and shoot 600 yards later this week and provide a range report and first impressions.

Looks to be very well engineered. Will post up later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my Censhot from John today (thanks, John). Will go out to the range and shoot 600 yards later this week and provide a range report and first impressions.

Looks to be very well engineered. Will post up later.

</div></div>

First time out with the Centershot. Very nice bipod and tracks straight. No hop or sideways movement with my .308. Shot 600 yards today and hammered the X ring with it. I won't be going back to my Harris w/claws and won't need the Sinclair. This is all I need in a bipod. Works well and the elevation adjustment is awesome.

If I was to improve anything on the bipod, I would make the feet a little heavier and wider. Perhaps of aluminum to slide better on different surfaces.

Have been out several more times with my Centershot at 600 yards and can't say enough good things about this bipod.

I have been using a tactical style rear bag, until a Benchrest guy let me try his 15lb. Edgewood Rear Bag. What an improvement! In combination with the Centershot, it's almost like an unfair advantage over the guys using the Harris bi-pods and bean bags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was to improve anything on the bipod, I would make the feet a little heavier and wider. Perhaps of aluminum to slide better on different surfaces. </div></div>

Two easy options, neither of which add weight to the gun.

Go to the store and get a pack of flexible nylon/plastic cutting boards/sheets. Around here they come in packs of two or three, and you'll need at least two for the Centershot or Sinclair bipod. Pick up some velcro dots or squares while you're at it. Place two of the plastic cutting sheets end to end, overlapping about an inch. Use the velcro dots to hold them together this way. Now you have a nice slick surface for the bipod to ride on regardless of whether you are shooting on sand, gravel, grass or concrete. I trimmed mine down slightly so they fit in the back slot of my Bisley-style range box. The NRA Ref @ the 2010 FCNC in Sacramento decided they didn't constitute 'a board or a plate' as described by the rules when I rolled them up in my hands in front of him...

Option two... I think John uses an old bath mat, or a floor mat from a car/truck works pretty well. One benefit of these is a lot of bipods (not just the Harris or Center Shot) tend to bounce a bit off concrete firing lines, and the extra 'padding' on these tends to help dampen that a little.

A local machine shop is making new feet for my Centershot. They will be of aluminum and 1"W x 3.25"L x 1/4" thick. I should have them in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how they work out.

Just got my Centershot bi-pod,what a nice piece of equipment. I made a quick release fitting that goes on a piece of rail,will be trying it out tomorrow at 600 yards. The wider footprint has got to help stabilize the rifle.