• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ceracote on a bolt?

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
Okay first thanks for all the help you guys have given me thus far. Even though I am just a hobby gunsmith I still want to do as good a job as I possibly can, yall have been a big help.

Okay can you ceracote bolts? Does it stick or scratch off, will it gum up the works? I kryloned one once big mistake I do not want to repeat. The one I kryloned was a PTG bolt that I had reamed the action for which may have created soem of the problem but it gummed things up pretty bad.

Re: Ceracote on a bolt?

I had mine ceracoted and it really changed the smoothness but seems to be getting smoother the more i use it. Just my .02

Cerakote will change the tolerances and you need to be careful. Custom actions such as the GA Templar, Phoenix, and some others are that have especially close tolerances. Factory rifles don’t have a big problem.

If it’s a custom action it can be done but the coating will be thin on the bolt. Yes it will wear off, it's metal to metal contact any finish will come off over time, even factory finish.

When first applied it will change the feel of the bolt and action, more so in custom actions like I mentioned. Over time and a few range trips this will smooth out. It will not gum it up like Krylon.

Thanks for the info. I did not want to be polishing this stuff off I am assuming it is a bit harder to remove than krylon.

Another question does ceracote adhere to highly polished or blasted barrel better. I am assuming blasted would be better, right?

Blasted. If you get it too think on the bolt you can take a green Scotch-Brite pad and smooth it out and polish it down until the bolt work more freely.

blasted is definitely better. Just make sure you dont hit the bolt face or back of the lugs when you do so. I blast my bolts very lightly with 180 grit alum ox. The cerakote lays down smoother on a smoother surface, hence the bolt will run smoother.

NIC reccomends 120 grit. I wouldnt use anything finer.

Look for a thickness of .001" on bolts

I aggree about not doing the rear of lugs or face as even .001" is a big deal. But, I did do my rifles bolt face and lugs and it's great.

Thanks for chiming in AZPrecision, I see you have done a few of these.

I indexed the brake on the gun that is going to be my first victem last night. so tonight It will probably get sprayed and baked. Any other tips, anyone?

Btw what do you wash this stuff up with. I have not read any data sheets or even the instructions yet.

Best I have found to clean parts with is the purple automotive degreaser stuff. Sams club sells some good stuff. Then clean all your paint gear with acetone.

After sand blasting? Isopropyal Alcohol, 90% is best. You cant have any residue

And yea clean your paint gun with acetone. Be sure to take it apart completely. HVLP, .8mm tip, using about 25psi depending on the gun.
I flush the gun with alcohol after acetone too. Iso alcohol is the cleanest solution I know of. Evaporates and burns 100% clean.

Post some pics when done!

The finish turned out great......except I missed a spot. can I touch it up or do I have to remove everything and start over.

Typicaly, start over.

Bolts are a horse of a different color because of tolerances. You can try to put another coat on, but it's likely to raise the thickness too much.

We have three bolts here that are getting fully Cerakoted tomorrow. I'll post some pics if I remember to take them.

We measure bolt diameter with a micrometer, then blast and coat, then mic it again after it's cured. The total diameter of the bolt can not increase by over .002"(.001" on each side) or we blast and start over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for chiming in AZPrecision, I see you have done a few of these.

I indexed the brake on the gun that is going to be my first victem last night. so tonight It will probably get sprayed and baked. Any other tips, anyone?

Btw what do you wash this stuff up with. I have not read any data sheets or even the instructions yet.</div></div>

Clean your spray gun inside and out with acetone. I do my best not to get it on anything. Bad for the liver, kidneys and nervous system. It has a health hazard rating of 3 out of 4... not good stuff to be messy with. I wear long sleeves, powder free surgical gloves and a cartridge filter respirator.

NIC recommends you keep it refrigerated but not with your food.

Thanks for the info, especially the heath hazards.

I missed a spot on the barreled action, not the bolt. Bad light, thought I had it, then I ran out of color. It left a place that is lightly covered but noticable down the side of the barrel.

Here's some pics of freshly painted bolts.
IMG_11101.jpg

IMG_11111.jpg

IMG_11121.jpg

Coating bolts isn't easy. The perfect thickness, you can damn near see through with colors like Tan and even OD green.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info, especially the heath hazards.

I missed a spot on the barreled action, not the bolt. Bad light, thought I had it, then I ran out of color. It left a place that is lightly covered but noticable down the side of the barrel.</div></div>

It's easy to miss a spot and good lighting in my booth is my biggest problem so I added additional lighting today. My next project will be an oven and start H series... Love Cerakote!!

Roger on smoothing over time. My Templar did not feel slick at all at first (Cerakote), but it's getting progressively better.
Last time I have a bolt coated.

Quick question not wanting to hijack thread. I have blasted and coated rifles before with no problems. All have been blued or SS. Recently I purchased a new Rem. SPS Varmint with a horrible finish on it. It's more parkarized than blued and I was wondering as course as it is do I need to blast or just degrease and spray?