• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote after bedding..?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
So I bed my CZ 455 in its manners stock and it shot great. I then broke it all down, blasted the barreled action and then applied Cerakote for the first time. It was my first time doing this so I may have made a few too many passes on the action. Now that I put the rifle back together it is not shooting the same as before. Groups are opening up and becoming really inconsistent. So what are some things I can do to check if this is in fact the problem. And if so what is the solution? If I have to re-bed the stock how to I go about doing so to best protect the Cerakote?

Many thanks!

Ben

Unless you have done something else to the rifle/ammo/sight system, there is only one new variable that would effect your accuracy, and that would be the Cerekoting. Cerekote is not that thick, but I suppose if you made enough passes over the action, you would change the size of the action. I would use PLENTY of release agent and re-bed it. I had mine bedded after cerekoting, and there were no problems. I bedded my own rifle that had a coating that isn't quite as tough as the cerekote and didn't have any issues. But I am very generous with release agent. I do with release agent, what you did with the cerekote. Apply, let dry, re-apply, repeat, repeat.

I cerakote after bedding and havent had any problems. You should get even coverage in 1 pass, if your going back over the part again and layering it I could see it getting messing with tolerances.

Kc

Ok, I was kind of anxious my first time spraying this stuff, I did go over a couple times just to be sure I got it all covered.... Thanks for the help guys, love people who actually know what they are doing sharing very helpful information! Guess I'll try to re-bed soon.

Ben

I do it after. Here is a tip a friend who is a professionally trained car painter taught me if you are worried about coverage, print out a grid on white paper. Hit it with the spray gun when you hit the action. When you can't see the grid you are good to go.

I've been cerakoting for 6 years or so. When I first started I went nuts. It caused assembly problems for me.

I do it after. Here is a tip a friend who is a professionally trained car painter taught me if you are worried about coverage, print out a grid on white paper. Hit it with the spray gun when you hit the action. When you can't see the grid you are good to go.

I've been cerakoting for 6 years or so. When I first started I went nuts. It caused assembly problems for me.

Sounds like a good idea, is the paper attached to the action somehow? I think I should just learn to put lighter coats on. This is certainly a great learning experience for me!

Ben

Sounds like a good idea, is the paper attached to the action somehow? I think I should just learn to put lighter coats on. This is certainly a great learning experience for me!

Ben

Just hang it right next to wear you are spray and hit it whenever you do a pass. Do you use an HVLP gun? You can get some for $18 on amazon that kick ass for the money.