• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote Blank Before or After Chamber?

lsmull

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2014
Findlay, OH
I am getting a blank in anticipation of my current barrel going off. I've Cerakoted four of my ARs so feel good about doing it. But wondered about when you all Cerakote bolt gun barrels. Seems the threading and crowning might cause chipping if its done before, but wanted to ask as I couldn't find an answer in searching. Thanks

Not only will you chip it with the threading and chamber, but you need a way to clamp down that barrel and hold it in place. On top of that, they have to torque that barrel into place when installing it and that will definitely leave marks. I can send you some pictures of the marks and scrapes in a barrel that has been pulled off and put back on. Needless to say, it doesn't look real pretty.

Paint it after it's on.

Not only will you chip it with the threading and chamber, but you need a way to clamp down that barrel and hold it in place. On top of that, they have to torque that barrel into place when installing it and that will definitely leave marks. I can send you some pictures of the marks and scrapes in a barrel that has been pulled off and put back on. Needless to say, it doesn't look real pretty.

Paint it after it's on.

If Cerakote is getting damaged by installing/removing a barrel, either the finish was not applied properly or someone is using the wrong tools. I apply my finish on individual parts on builds and have never had a finish damaged.

I don't think the barrel was sandblasted before the cerakote was applied, therefore didn't have enough of an anchor on there or something. I know duracoat can get beat up on barrels as well.

I carefully prep with aluminum oxide blasting, acetone, and handle with nitrile gloves. My ARs have held up very well, with two having taken real beatings in various carbine and DM classes and such. I was asking as logistics caused me to want to coat before machining, but I will do afterwards given the chipping issue more than any potential clamping effects.