• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Cerakote or moly resin for Arctic camo?

MTFalconer

Peckerhead on a mountain.
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2014
Little Belts, Montana
So here's the rundown. A build I am finishing up it slated for an alpine green/white/black/brown camo job. I live and hunt at high altitude in the mountains of Montana and those are the predominant colors here. Plus I always wanted to do one. Using an AICS chassis system and Remington 700. I want to coat everything including the scope. The AICS skins are green already but I was wanting to coat the aluminum body. Both companies offer air dry versions. I have used moly resin in the past but not their air dry. Only the bake on. I really like it. Cerakote has the colors I need but I have never used it and not really sure how it will work with overlay type camo stencils. Give me some input here guys.

One other thing, will either of these coatings adhere to the plastic skins on the AICS if I decide I want to do that? Also, would love to see some examples of snow or Arctic camo that you guys have done for inspiration. Thanks in advance.

Cerakote "H" series requires a partial cure after your base color(s) are applied /before stencils.
More than a single partial cure cycle can result in the coating curing too much for a proper chemical bond of the subsequent color(s).
Usually, this many colors requires wet-on-wet application(s).

The air cure "C" series might lend itself better to this, don't know if subsequent colors will bond to previously "cured" (dried) ones. Obviously, stencils "over" requires the underlying coating to be cured enough to not lift or be affected by a stencil placed over it. I haven't used it- but Moly Resin does allow for multiple curing cycles according to their instructions and may be more suitable for your application.

Disclaimer: the above represents my understanding of the manufacturers instructions (I've had this exact discussion with NIC regarding this subject on the "H" series)...YMMV.

All oven cure. No issues. Wears well.

21013910_1439847499443337_5531690786468579435_o.jpg

Air cure cerakote will take to air cure cerakote. Have to let it go off 30 min -1 hour before putting any tape on it. Powdered gloves leave fingerprints. A little heat will speed up the process. Easy stuff to work w/.