• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cerakote Oven Build, Progress Report/Pics

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    To follow up from my last thread regarding curing ovens for coatings, we have achieved thus, so far:

First, we found a box to start with:
    Oven001.jpg

Then we lined it with drywall:
    Oven003.jpg

Then we obtained a set of "half-lockers" and the wheels started turning. First, we set the first box aside, and focused on the building of the Locker-Oven:
    Oven004.jpg

First thing to do was dis-assemble them, and cut them in half. We used the "unused skin" to line the interior of the locker. After it was lined with Firewall. We cut down the needed panels, and Cleco'd them into place before using the pop riveter. Here are a few shots:
    Oven013.jpg
    Oven009.jpg

(Continued on next post)

Re: Cerakote Oven Build,

Things aren't exactly precise on this job, but hey, it's an oven. We think it'll heat things up, and hold the heat in pretty good:
    Oven010.jpg

We cut/adjusted/trimmed/reshaped a number of the panels as well as the door framework, to get it all to fit together rather nicely:
    Oven016.jpg
    Oven017.jpg

The only thing left (construction-wise) was to insulate the door as well. That proved to be a bit more than expected. We figured that just cutting off a strip from an end, then slide a piece of Firewall in there, then rivet said strip back on, would do the job. WRONG. Seems the designers figured they'd add a bunch of corrugated cardboard strips, for rigidity/sound-dampening/strength(?) I dunno, but it was FUN getting the panel off. Now in the process of cleaning out the glue and cardboard crap, then will continue on with original plan:
    Oven020.jpg

The heat source and controller are going to be next, as soon as the door is done. Will follow up when the P.I.D. controller arrives. Looking to use the element out of a short baseboard heater, as I'm told that should be sufficient.

We still have the original box, as well as a spare door. In time, we'll probably put the two together, just to have a stronger box to store/secure things in. Maybe hang it off the end of my toolchests.

After painting it all Snap-Off Red, of course.

Or should it be camo?

That looks nice and I have used it for intel.

I am working on my own, my original plan was to go vertical with a Snap-On or Homak "safe" that I have (powder locker).

After searching here, I decided to go horizontal. I picked up 4 coil ovens today ($11 each). I have drywall and then foil backed fiberglass for the interior. I don't like the idea of "wavy" foil-backed batting but, I didn't have any better ideas and anything rigid I doubt could take the heat.
    In the end I might do drywall and a shiney metal "membrane' in the interior with squashed fiberglass in-between.

Next is the roller caster frame which will take a few weeks inbetween other stuff. Geez, I'll have $400 in this before I am done.

Whay did you decide to use for a heat source?

If you are using drywall, make sure it is type X. It is fire retardent, and fire rated drywall. Two layers of that stuff would be more than enough to insulate against the heat. Try to glue it in as the screws will transfer the heat through to the steel, and cause it (drywall) to break down quicker. Hi heat foil tape in the corners will help stop heat transfer as well.

R.

Good to know. I have some LocTite contractor grade adhesive for drywall (equivelent to Liquid Nails). I don't know the flash point or temp sensitivity of these adhesives when cured.

Once I get rolling, I'll post up. STN; sorry to hyjack.

It should say on the tube. There are lots of water based stuff that will work just fine as well.

R.

Boom, you're not hijacking. Discussion is good. Datscussion is good too.
    wink.gif

We have only used one (1) layer of 5/8" Firewall for insulation. The one with the fiberglass fibers in the gypsum. We cut the 'locker' body in half, as stated above, so that we can use the extra 'body' piece as an "inner skin", with some trimming.

Everything is Pop-Riveted together. No screws, and no adhesives. Also, there is about an eighth-inch of extra space in the walls, to create a bit of an 'air-gap'. From what I'd gleaned from searching around, this SHOULD be good. We'll see when we fire it up.

The PID controller and Thermocouple came in. The local "world-class distributor" stated that they should be able to get one in which would meet our needs, for "just over 300.00 bucks. "But it'll be tight, he said". Nice when the locals do you favors like that, eh?

I searched around, and found a supplier in the U.S. (which, ironically enough, has remarkably similar product pictures) and his listed price was 34.95 USD. Do the math.

We have an element from a baseboard heater here, that we're hoping to apply. Just a simple straight length rod, to evenly heat up the 'pizza oven'. Not sure if it'll do the job best. Will learn more when my brother electrician comes and adds his input.

We went with the inner steel skin, because we don't know if we'll be wanting to weld sliders on the ends, for "wide-assed oven type shelves" or hooks from the ceiling of the unit for hanging victims, I mean items to be coated, or what.

So we just figured that this was the most adaptable method. And too, it is easy enough to again Pop-Rivet stuff on, and whatnot.

Personally, I'm hesitant to think of using adhesives, and whatnot for this application. Not all, but most adhesives are killed with heat. Add to that, the fumes that are going to be coming off this already, do we really want to add more?

I'm thinking of maybe needing an exhaust fan, to remove the fumes. Or maybe an external "fume-hood" extractor. As we simply don't know how bad it gets, smell wise. Is it a shop-clearing, cancer-inducing stench?

Better safe than sorry?

As you can all tell, this isn't really a "one-time-use" device. This is something to which applies with our other plans.

Further pictures of progress to follow.

If anyones interested in the PID supplier, PM me. Very fast delivery, Very reasonable prices, AND Very helpful with questions regarding the products. The way all business's should be, right?

Thanks Sean. I have thought this over while deciding which locker to donate. The one purchased is more square and preferred against the powder locker I had on hand. Still working on the roller cart (its obviously before the horse).

I have enough wattage (4k with oven-burner efficiency) where I am not expecting to need insulation to establish and keep temp, just to keep the exterior box reasonably cooler for a 2 hour bake. Cool enough to keep non-thermal application paint on it. I don’t think it would take much to even the interior heat given convection.

I also thought about the exhaust fan. I had decided it wasn't necessary from past coatings (Perma-Slik G, Norrels, and Duracoat) where the outgassing wasn’t bad (once applied) baking w/o ventilation. In the case of the internal materials at heat, I hope that seasoning the oven is sufficient.

An after-thought was to provide small open ports on the top simply for outgassing between the inner liner and the outer shell. The concern more for the applied insulation vs. the product being baked. Another thought is two small ports bottom side to provide some convection currents. In my deal, the small gap around the heaters will provide that.

From your thoughts; I ditched the plan for any adhesives for a mechanical bond. My latest plan is for internal channels rivited providing a gap for fiberglass between the inner liner and the outer shell. Still not sure on the inner liner; I think sheet metal would be adequate and less hassle long-term. Any residential oven or commercial thermo-chamber has an interior metal lining. I also didn’t want any drywall material getting loose from the repeated thermal cycles.

If I can find a cheap "washer" that is a poor thermal conductor to float the metal channel off the exterior box (minimize the surface contact area) I think it would be golden.

With the fiberglass, I am thinking that non-faced material would be better than the foil-backed I purchased. The manufacturer had to bond the glass to the foil somehow.

More thinking than doing at this point.

I am very interested in this, as my current oven is essentially uninsulated and a heckuva a thing to keep at a constant temp...however...your photobucket pics are dead. Any chance you can resurrect them? Thanks.
    -Rob

Thanks....now tell me again what you're using for lining the walls. One post said sheetrock, the other "firewall". It looks like you have two layers of something in the locker...what are they?
    -Rob

The lining of the walls is one layer of (described below) between the outer skin and the inner skin. Both skins are sheet metal, for durability as well as further development/hangers/rack supports, etc.

As I understand it:

Drywall/sheetrock/wallboard/gyproc/whateverwhitechalktypeflatsh!t are all the same thing, depending on the supplier itself.

Now the same stuff with the addition of Fiberglass threads/fibers added directly into the mix is known in the business as:

Firewall/Fireguard/Firerock/firestop/Heatsheet/among other names too.

I've been led to understand that for the heat involved, this one layer of 5/8 firewall is enough to do the job. I'm trying this out. There are many different things that can be done, but the end result is the same goal. Which best way to attain that goal has yet to be determined. Hence why I've been asking for input where applicable.

Ahh gotcha...

I'm sure that the firewall will be fine...I have used less and it withstood the heat well. My main concern with a new design for my oven have been heat conservation (insulation) and even heat. I talked to one guy who swears by a small fan to circulate air in a convection sort of arrangement.
    -Rob

Ok, so, here's the progress so far.

The framework has been built. The Control box has been mounted. The PID and the Contactor have been mounted into the box.
    Tools003.jpg

The elements are installed into the oven.
    Tools004.jpg

The thermocouple has been mounted to the back oven wall.
    Tools005.jpg

The junction boxes have been mounted to the outside of the oven.
    Tools006.jpg

All that's left is everything needs to be wired up.
    Tools007.jpg

And the legs obtained and mounted to support the framework etc. Preferably ones with wheels, so that the unit can be moved out of the way easily. All in all, I'd say it isn't turning out too bad. I know some who are looking forward to firing it up.

This is the PID that I'd used here and these folks really are helpful in their service and supply. Where we bought it.

Am I overlooking a link? Mention was made for some on plc's.

I am fairly new to plc's so I will ask a stupid question. Do you really a PID? Wouldn't this work with just an on/off using RTD?

Tim

looks frikken sweet!
    I pictured a long, straight element for a baseboard heater, what are those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot1000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I overlooking a link? Mention was made for some on plc's.
    I am fairly new to plc's so I will ask a stupid question. Do you really a PID? Wouldn't this work with just an on/off using RTD?
    Tim</div></div>

Short answer: No idea. I'm not going to blow smoke. I do know though, that the temps required need to 'soak' for extended periods of time. The PID is adjustable and tweekable. For what I know of PLC's, they too are definitely 'playable'. Except, the deal offered on these PID's make it a no-brainer, in my eyes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks frikken sweet!
    I pictured a long, straight element for a baseboard heater, what are those? </div></div>

We thank you. Originally we were using the rod from a baseboard heater. I beleive the technical term for how that looked was that it "sucked-ass". So, two small oven-elements were obtained, and when installed it appears that the heat generated will be evenly distributed, as well as much faster 'reaction' timing. 240V 3,000W.

Looks nice Shaun. When I built mine I got almost everything from the local dump! I found an electric residential furnace ans used the cabinet and one heating filament from it. Then used foil backed fiberglass insulation to line it and foil sealed with high temp silicone gasket maker at the joints.Temp control came from an old oven and timer from a clothes dryer. When baking you can touch the outside wall and it remains cool. I added a shelf and some hooks along one side for small parts.Total cost was about $15 for the insulation.Works great.

Looking good....I take it you're going to stand it up vertically, so you can hang barreled actions...or is this one for smaller parts, handguns, etc.?
    -Rob

I forgot to mention that the oven looks great. I'm sure it will do a good job for you. Course you knew that. Makes me think once I get out of school and back to work might be a fun project.

Tim

Ok, so we have assembled what we could for a stand and bottom shelf, so far:
    CerakoteOvenBuild008.jpg

And we have power going to everything to see things work. Here is the set temperature as we have it for now:
    CerakoteOvenBuild013.jpg

It doesn't get lower than 293 F. or higher than 328 F so far:
    CerakoteOvenBuild014.jpg
    CerakoteOvenBuild012.jpg

We are still learning about the programming and whatnot, for adjusting the parameters. This is just the start.

When you open the door after it shuts itself off, this is what you see:
    CerakoteOvenBuild016.jpg

Just a dull glow.

But when you leave the door open, and the unit is up and running "Flat-Out-Giv'en'er" this is it:
    CerakoteOvenBuild018.jpg

Thing of Beauty, eh?

So that is the progress so far. Still going to put the shelf under the PID, as well as build skids for inside the oven. Progress is being made, and we are all thankful for that, all around.