• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote question

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
I am getting ready to get my AR coated, and am trying to decide between coyote tan and desert sage. Any personal experience would be appreciated.

Cerakote question

I am getting ready to get my AR coated, and am trying to decide between coyote tan and desert sage. Any personal experience would be appreciated.
Are you asking about people's experiences with the colors coyote tan and desert sage?!

Seriously?!!

unless your fighting in a war, keep it black, keep its value.... let the flaming begin! LOL ;)

What he (aka not you) likes a different color?
A quality Cerakote job by no means denigrates the value, it might limit the buyers but it might actually increase the value.
Of course not everyone buys a rifle just to sell it, some actually keep their weapons. :rolleyes:

lol, good point! hehehe. I figured I'd stir up the hornets nest today.

What he (aka not you) likes a different color?
A quality Cerakote job by no means denigrates the value, it might limit the buyers but it might actually increase the value.
Of course not everyone buys a rifle just to sell it, some actually keep their weapons. :rolleyes:

NIC offers so many shades of brown/tan it will make your head spin. Both my bolt guns are done in Desert Sage (H-247Q). It does have a slight greenish tint to it whereas the Coyote Tan will not.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-coatings-camo-pics-thread-5.html#post2813800

If you are trying to 100% match the Magpul furniture on your AR it can be a challenge and that's a conversation to have with your Cerakote applicator.

Another color to consider for a mono-color AR is ICON grey (H-125Q) which is very close to Larue UDE.

151257211.AqSdshrs.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z_Zv2ue-w

Cerakote question

How exactly does one get "experience" with a color?

How exactly does one get "experience" with a color?

Graham, let it go. Most of the time your comments are witty and intelligent today you're just being an ass. Not everybody is as well written or spoken as you are.

Cerakote question

Graham, let it go. Most of the time your comments are witty and intelligent today you're just being an ass. Not everybody is as well written or spoken as you are.
Fair enough. I take your point.

But I am still trying to figure out WTF the OP wanted to know about in the first place, when he asked the question "any personal experience would be appreciated". That's casting a very wide net indeed.

I can understand wanting to 'get it right the 1st time' when doing an AR - it'd be a giant PITA to get the rifle cerakoted (all those parts!!) and then decide you didn't like the look of the color you'd chosen.

Fair enough. I take your point.

But I am still trying to figure out WTF the OP wanted to know about in the first place, when he asked the question "any personal experience would be appreciated". That's casting a very wide net indeed.

Thanks Graham! The only way I can think of to get "personal experience" with a color might be something along the lines of giving oneself a case of Cheeto dick. :)

I interpreted the question to be about opinions on the subtle color differences between Coyote tan and Desert Sage. Although FDE is not Coyote tan here is an example for the OP.:
IMG_1814_zps9a076003.jpg

and who would have thunk it but apparently there are indeed 50 Shades of Brown recognized. :cool:

OP, If you are asking how these colors compare or how they blend with a natural environment then I hope I can help. The Coyote/Desert tan is a very light tan and blends well in a desert environment and that's about it. Its almost kind of bright. If you are looking for a good color that blends well I suggest FDE Magpul brown. The Magpul color changes very well with the lighting conditions and just plain works in several environments.

The sage has a green hue and also works very well. It blends very well where you have a lot of tall wheat and patches of grass or field vegetation. The sage works very well in the Southeast.

Cerakote question

OP, if you are painting it for fun, then color doesn't matter and paint it whatever you like best.

But if you intend to use the rifle it probably won't stay one color. If you are using the base color for a purpose, keep in mind that it's easier to make a lighter rifle a darker color than to do the reverse.

Ive done burnt bronze a couple of times and really like it. It looks good with FDE I think. The finish wear is good. but I don't experience with other colors.

Color is a very personal thing. I like the Magpul FDE others may not. There is no right or wrong color. Just choose the color you like best and be happy with it. You will never please everyone. Just my 2 cents.