• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cerakote question

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm looking at coating some of my rifles but I heard from a gunsmith friend that some barrel manufacturers do not recommend coating their barrels. I believe he said it was the manufacturers that button rifle their barrels. The consensus was that heating the barrel would relieve stress causing the barrel to warp, have any of you found this to be true?

Re: Cerakote question

if a peice of steel cant handle being heated to 300deg for an hour i gont want to fire a round through it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard from a gunsmith friend that some barrel manufacturers do not recommend coating their barrels. I believe he said it was the manufacturers that button rifle their barrels. The consensus was that heating the barrel would relieve stress causing the barrel to warp</div></div>

He's mistaken, 300 degrees for an hour will not hurt your barrel.

Well everyone has said the same thing my gunsmith and I though. I'm guessing that the manufacturers know they have no control over how the coating is done so they would rather recommend it not being done than have to deal with customers being unhappy with their barrels after a botched coating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which barrel manufacturer? </div></div>

+++1

Tim North said 200 degrees is ok, 210 might start to release stress. Brux gave it the go-ahead, I didn't ask who the others were.

Just for conversation, I've coated Krieger, Bartlien, Rock, Brux, Shilen, Lilja, Hart and numerous factory tubes. Non with ill effects.

I've never experienced nor heard of the cerakote application process harming a barrel.

Like I said earlier, this is exactly what I expected to hear. I assume it is just easier (in the minds of some) for manufacturers to say "it's not recommended" than deal with potential issues that come along with any type of modifications to their products.